Gewy Black Stuff???

Amys_Babies

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone knows at all what it is. Buddy has started having this horrible black sticky stuff on the inside of his legs which doesn't brush off. Im having to wash it off and for first time ever he is trying to kick out at me when washing him.

Probably is something so simple. I haven't got a picture but if need to get one i will. Just wondered if anyone else has same thing at all?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sounds like smegma. Perhaps time to give his wee willy winkee a little clean with some warm water???

Amys_Babies

Visit site
Yeah it his on his back legs and there is a lot of it. But finding it hard enough to get near his back legs without getting kicked so to clean other things may be a very hard task. Is it something a vet will do or is it simple enough to do myself.

I just found this link:

http://www.equi-sense.com/articles/sheathcleaning.html

Is it related or not? Sorry don't know alot about this and first time ever had a problem he is usually very clean down there.

AlexThe Arab

Visit site
Yep agree
crazy.gif

My lad gets it on his cannon bones - yucky stuff and he's grey so really shows up
crazy.gif

katia

Visit site
It is something you can do easily yourself. Although if he's getting stressy about it it may be worth asking someone to help you maybe by distracting him with a bucket of carrots or such like?

Warm soapy water for his legs should do the trick and just warm water for his bits. Just do a little at a time till its done then just keep on top of it to stop a build up in the future>

Kat.x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You're gonna have to get him used to having his back legs touched (surely you can brush them???) and his sheeth etc. Because they do need periodic mainenance.

Thumper drops his out very happily when he's relaxed. And whilst I've never needed to wash it, I do pick at it ocassionally - and the other day popped some baby oil on it which cleaned it up beautifully.

soph21

Visit site
Bear gets that too, more so in winter as he gets lots of belly hair and I think it gets stuck inside his sheath and makes it a bit sore.

Just give it a clean with warm water.

Amys_Babies

Visit site
Oh thanks for advice. He has never had the problem before supose it could be because he is getting older now. Will try and clean it tonight.

AlexThe Arab

Visit site
Well Pablo obviously heard about this thread and managed to produce this
shocked.gif

2658394358_f369905b5a.jpg

I'm sure I've seen a special sheath wash product in the tack shop - dont want anything that stings or irritates up there
blush.gif

Willy wash tonight
crazy.gif

Amys_Babies

Visit site
Glad im not the only one having to do it tonight lol...

So what do i do if he its a stubborn git and doesnt stop trying to kick me when i try cleaning it. As he is really sensitive, i will have my mum hold him and try and distract him with carrots but last night he didn't listen to my mum at all.

Read a bit about it and heard it can be quite serious if not cleaning and that can call vets out aswell for it. Is it really worth calling vets out ive read something about a bean? What am i actually looking for there?

Natch

Visit site
There is a school of thought that a "bean" of gunk can get stuck in the end, but personally I don't know of anyone who looks for and removes that, and IMO if it needs doing I'd rather a vet who knew what they were doing did it. I wouldnt' worry about that, and as others have said if he is a pain to clean it just get loads of baby oil in there (I'd probably aim a good squit or 2 if he doesn't let it all hang loose, but make sure you're not forcing it in somewhere). By the following day the baby oil disolves the gunk and lubricates it all to come off naturally - so you might have a few days of delightful legs to come yet! I find the gunk is horrible to remove from legs, you need a strong detergent like a good washing up liquid or shampoo rather than the namby pamby stuff for the sheath (DON'T use the strong stuff in the sheath, just on the legs!!)

eurgh what a charming subject

AlexThe Arab

Visit site
Good tip to stay as close to the horse as possible when cleaning his bits or back legs, move with him, be gentle but firm and don't give up
smile.gif
eventually they give in once they know it wont hurt and they can't get rid of you - good luck
tongue.gif

Had a quick Google of smegma and found this from Liphook Equine Hospital smegma as they know a thing or two about all things horsey I'm NOT willy washing tonight!
grin.gif
but will ask my vet for advice when he has his routine teeth cheek in a few weeks time.

PennywithHenry

Visit site
Henry was tickly when it came to winky washing so I put some baby oil in a spray bottle (97p from Asda, 40p Boyes own baby oil) and gave it a good spray everytime it popped out. I had to be quick because as soon as it was sprayed Mr Tinky Wink would be gone! The in and out action seemed to slick the crusty bits off when he pee'd etc and I just gave his sheath a wipe with an old towel to remove any of the bits.

He soon got used to it and in actual fact a couple of days before he died hubby walked in looking for me to find me crouched down with a bucket of water giving it a good clean and Henry looking quite relaxed with the situation!