Ghost Saddle

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I promised I would put up a review of this saddle for those who are interested. I will post up pictures when I receive the new saddle as the one I trialled was not a new one, nor was it the style that I have ordered. However, the delivery time for new ghosts saddles is currently around 4 weeks.

The cost of trial was £30 plus vat. This amount gets deducted from your order if you decide to buy one.

The saddle comes in two basic sizes. I trialled the piccalo which is the smaller one. Due to the fact that you just have thigh rolls, rather than knee rolls, even the small size is okay for the taller rider. I am 5'9 and my horse is only 14.3hh and so cannot take a long saddle. Even the piccolo looked quite long on her but I had my saddler look at it and she said due to the fact that it did not have a solid tree, and looking at where my weight would sit in relation to her last rib, there would be no problems with any weight being carried on the unsupported part of her spine.

The saddle comes with removable, adjustable panels that you can move around to best suit the shape of your horse's back. You can also buy new ones for around £50. You can buy additional seats to suit. For example you can have a GP seat and also buy a dressage seat. They are interchangeable.

My young (unbroken) mare did not even seem to acknowledge there was anything on her back and did not buck with the saddle when lunged. It seemed to be very high and perched at first, but when the girth was tightened, it all looked a lot better. The saddle was very stable when I lunged her and did not move forwards. I put it on with a breast plate as I always do with youngsters that are not used to having a saddle on their backs, but the breastplate was still loose afterwards and so had not come into play.

I cannot comment on what the saddle felt like to ride in. The Italian oiled leather was fabulous quality and looked very comfortable and secure. I will update when I get my new saddle and begin my mare's proper training.

Brightbay

Visit site
I'm looking at getting one of these so will be following this post!

Me too. There was one on eBay yesterday and I was swithering - my horse has withers and I wondered if it would work. Went back to check this morning, and it was sold. It wasn't going for much less than the brand new price though.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm a bit gutted that I have to wait a month for it though. I have a shoulder operation next week so I guess I wouldn't get that much done until a few weeks after that in any case. Looks like my girl is going to be a lady of leisure for a few more weeks at least.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
It will be worth the wait. I have one. Had a lesson with my instructor the other day . First time she had seen me ride in the saddle . Apparently it puts me in a much better classical position. I love that I can really wrap my legs around my cob too.
Also note, there are two different positions for the stirrups depending on what suits you best. I love the saddle . I feel safe and secure. No slippage in any direction. All 3 of my cobs go forward happily. The only thing I was a bit iffy about is the closed ring stirrup bars but that just encouraged me to buy a pair of sprenger bow balance for that extra bit of psychological support that my feet would come out in a fall lol. I bought the pad to go under it but don't like it and don't use it. Prefer using my polypad which is what equine whispers suggest anyway.