Giant Native Ponies - Who Else Has One?

Arizahn

Visit site
The Camel (delightful though he is) simply doesn't fit the breed standard for a Connemara Pony. He's too big, and we aren't talking half an inch over height. He will be three this June, and currently standing at 16hh. Nor is he done growing; the string test last February indicated 16.3hh, but I neglected to allow for the distance from coronet band to ground level, and his legs have grown again since then anyhow! His current growth spurt has him resembling a cut and paste of half a dozen different horses, but that will level out again; it always does.

So I own a giant genetic quirk, but I love him, so that doesn't matter to me (aside from not being able to see over him!). And he's gelded, which means he can't pass on his giant genes. Personally, I'd quite like the option to have his passport adapted in some official/legal way to state that he isn't regarded as being a Connemara Pony - people ask what he is and then look at me as though I'm mad when I say full Connemara! I've started adding the caveat of "allegedly, but there might be some mountain in there too".

Am I alone, or does anyone else own a giant Native Pony (pictures welcome)? Can they be shrunk back to normal proportions? On a more serious note, should I be worried - is this likely to impact on the Camel's long term health?

nianya

Visit site
Am I alone, or does anyone else own a giant Native Pony (pictures welcome)? Can they be shrunk back to normal proportions? On a more serious note, should I be worried - is this likely to impact on the Camel's long term health?

Wash in hot water maybe? Sounds like someone hopped a fence to get to his dam (or sire) :D Years ago we bred my 15.1 Morgan/QH to an Arabian and ended up with a 16H monster...I can only assume that my mare had TB in her somewhere.

Molly'sMama

Visit site
The Camel (delightful though he is) simply doesn't fit the breed standard for a Connemara Pony. He's too big, and we aren't talking half an inch over height. He will be three this June, and currently standing at 16hh. Nor is he done growing; the string test last February indicated 16.3hh, but I neglected to allow for the distance from coronet band to ground level, and his legs have grown again since then anyhow! His current growth spurt has him resembling a cut and paste of half a dozen different horses, but that will level out again; it always does.

So I own a giant genetic quirk, but I love him, so that doesn't matter to me (aside from not being able to see over him!). And he's gelded, which means he can't pass on his giant genes. Personally, I'd quite like the option to have his passport adapted in some official/legal way to state that he isn't regarded as being a Connemara Pony - people ask what he is and then look at me as though I'm mad when I say full Connemara! I've started adding the caveat of "allegedly, but there might be some mountain in there too".

wow I'd love a big native!!!! :) a 16hh haflinger would be the absolute ideal :D have you got any pics?

can't help re health checks for horses but with an oversized dog [golden retriever, not overweight at all but 10 months, about 22tts and 31kg... biggest they should be full grown is 35, someone from guide dogs charity thought he was full grown] the main thing is to keep an eye on joints, just watch that everything develops normally xx

Arizahn

Visit site
Wash in hot water maybe? Sounds like someone hopped a fence to get to his dam (or sire) :D Years ago we bred my 15.1 Morgan/QH to an Arabian and ended up with a 16H monster...I can only assume that my mare had TB in her somewhere.

Hmm, he was DNA typed as a foal, I wonder if it was checked at all!

Arizahn

Visit site
wow I'd love a big native!!!! :) a 16hh haflinger would be the absolute ideal :D have you got any pics?

can't help re health checks for horses but with an oversized dog [golden retriever, not overweight at all but 10 months, about 22tts and 31kg... biggest they should be full grown is 35, someone from guide dogs charity thought he was full grown] the main thing is to keep an eye on joints, just watch that everything develops normally xx

Cameljan15_zps0ed18e91.jpg

Himself this January :)

Carlosmum

Visit site
I have a New Forest Horse.;) He stands just under 15hh, which I know isn't really a horse but he has been chucked out of the NFPCS as a pure bred & re-registered as a part bred even though both is parents were purebred. Mum was a full up 14.2 Dad stands at about 13.2. He has an enormous horsey head and long legs but the middle bit is ' normal' size!
Will try & post pic later

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I doubt there will be any health implications. Giant dogs have been bred to be that where as your horse is just a big one for the breed.

I'd love a 16hh welsh D. There are a few about.

Arizahn

Visit site
I have a New Forest Horse.;) He stands just under 15hh, which I know isn't really a horse but he has been chucked out of the NFPCS as a pure bred & re-registered as a part bred even though both is parents were purebred. Mum was a full up 14.2 Dad stands at about 13.2. He has an enormous horsey head and long legs but the middle bit is ' normal' size!

See, I'm wondering if the CPBS will want to do this! FW, thanks :)

Arizahn

Visit site
No knowledge but just want to say he's gorgeous! Love him!

Thank you :) His mane is somewhat lacking at present due to act of field mate, and am considering hogging him if it doesn't grow in properly by this autumn. He has a nice neck, and let's face it, we won't be doing Native classes!

cbmcts

Visit site
I have a 15.3hh Section D but I have seen bigger.

TBF mine isn't the best example of the breed - big head and his movement, while good isn't extravagant. Mum was 15hh and his (alleged) sire was only 14.1hh so I hoped that he's mature at 15 hh or less...

He's old enough that he wasn't DNA tested and from a stud that registered the foals as sired by whatever stallion was out with the mares 11 months before...considering that they would run up to 3 stallions, one after the other a year it's not inconceivable that some pedigrees could be a tad inaccurate ;)

SuperH

Visit site
I've seen quite a few 16hh+ full Welsh D in this area. A few years ago one of my friends had a large Connie, similar looking to yours, maybe they shared some bloodlines. As above I wouldn't expect any specific health issues. I would love a bigger Dartmoor, anyone got one?

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Oooh, yours is the spitting image of the outsized Connie we have on our yard - 15.3 and built like a tank. He was apparently for sale as a 3yo because "we think he's going to go a little bit over height for the breed classes"...

Annagain

Visit site
I'd love a 16hh Welshie too, but unfortunately a lot of the larger ones aren't such great examples...or they're Masemynachs and bonkers.

Greylegs

Visit site
I'd love a 16hh Welshie too, but unfortunately a lot of the larger ones aren't such great examples...or they're Masemynachs and bonkers.

This made me smile. Not got him now, but used to have a Maesmynach welshie who was every bit of 15.3 with a bit of growing still to do. He was gorgeous but a bit on the bonkers side, I have to say. He was by Maesmynach Majestic who was 16hands plus I believe.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site

Ooh can I have him please?! I wish my 13.3hh NF would grow with me! ;)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have an oversized Dales youngster - not massively oversized but 15hh and he is rising 5. He is well bred with a compact body and the perfect size for me. He's not bum high so I am not expecting any further growth upward.

Archie07

Visit site
My pure bred 8yo New Forest is 15-15.1hh! I have a copy of his family tree going back several generations, he's 100% NF so I'm not sure how that happened! He has no horse traits or looks, just a giant typical pony! Which is actually pretty darn cute especially when he's in his winter woolies.