Gift horse or not?

Spottyappy

Visit site
Abit of a dilema here and would be interested in other folks opinions.
Myself and daughter are taking on, at end of march, an 8 yr old registered New Forest mare.She was backed at 3, but not done anything since, besides being handled.The idea was to reback her, daughter(aged almost 14) to gain that kind of experience, have abit of fun doing pony club etc and sell her on in the autumn. I was confident to do this, in the knowledge- or so I thought-said mare could be returned to owner in the event of a non sale, as although I have my own land, I do not have the time/money or health(which is dodgy at the best of times) to keep another mouth through winter.
Owner has now turned round and said actually she does not want the mare back, and will give her to us! Wonderful, except do I still take her on and pray I sell her, as I really can not keep her through next winter,or miss the opportunity for my daughter and upset her?
The mare is very well bred, and given the oportunity I am certain she will make a cracking pony, but with the current ecconomic climate, if things do not pick up, I really am worried about having to keep another equine whom by choice I would never have chosen to keep.
Hope this makes sense! Thanks for getting this far!

1275gta

Visit site
If she's priced right she should sell. All she will owe you is time, so as long as she comes back into work ok you'll be on a winnner

missyme10

Visit site
I think with the uncertainty you are faced with, you would be best to walk away.
Would be different if you were in a position to keep this pony during the winter should she not sell.
But where will she and you be left if she does not?
As for your daughter being disappointed, she's 14 so old enough to understand that you are unable to offer this pony a certain future.
2 uncertain for my liking, just my opinion x

Tickles

Visit site
If you could actually not afford to keep her next winter (as in wd have to put her through an auction/sell cheaply to uncertain future/have her PTS if you couldn't find her a good home) then TBH I wouldn't think it was responsible to take her on and if you explain that to your daughter then she should understand that it is in the best interests of the pony.

Maybe do the sums and work it out?