Gift horse....would you..??

SatansLittleHelper

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 December 2011
Messages
5,744
Location
Shropshire
Visit site
I have been offered a 13 year old 15.2hh cob type mare, good in every single way. She is local and the owner and I use the same farrier. The owner is someone I have known for a couple of years, really lovely and genuine person (I even bought a puppy from her).
So anyhow she wants a home for her horse due to a real lack of time but isn't wanting anything for her, the home is the priority. All good so far??
The only issue is that the mare is an extremely good doer and developed laminitis last year. She is fine now and her weight is well controlled. We are able to manage her grazing well but I have never had a horse prone to this before?? Is it manageable or a disaster waiting to happen??
Advice would be appreciated.
 

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Joined
7 June 2010
Messages
18,986
Location
north west
Visit site
If you can manage the horse's weight, give her plenty of exercise, and use muzzle's/track grazing etc if you need to etc, then its worth considering. I would ask if you're allowed to have a chat with her vet about how bad the laminitis is and what you would need to do to keep it at bay. If you do take her, buy her for £1 or something to make it legal.
 

PorkChop

Well-Known Member
Joined
11 June 2010
Messages
10,646
Location
Scotland
Visit site
I agree, make sure you do pay for her even if it's a pound!

If you have enough time and the facilities to manage her condition, and enough money if it goes wrong for Vets bills, then go for it.

They all cost the same to look after.
 

dogatemysalad

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 July 2013
Messages
6,118
Visit site
If you can ensure that along with managing her diet, she can get regular exercise. It'll save you money in vet bills if you can balance dietary intake with keeping fit and her metabolism working efficiently.
 

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Joined
8 May 2012
Messages
11,089
Location
Lancashire
Visit site
Also, if you have her vetted, have her checked for Cushings as that can be a reason for them to be prone to laminitis and you can then make sure it is under control.
 

Vodkagirly

Well-Known Member
Joined
2 August 2010
Messages
3,625
Visit site
Is she the type you would choose if she wasn't free?
The purchase price is nothing compared to the ongoing so make sure its one you want. Def make it legal is you go for it.
 

Capriole

Well-Known Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
7,824
Visit site
Is she the type you would choose if she wasn't free?

This is what I always say.

Would you choose the horse if she wasn't free?

I've always gone by the philosophy that unless I would actually go out and choose to buy a particular horse, I wouldn't take the horse just because it was free. If I would choose to buy the horse and I'm offered it for free, I'd take it.

I have been offered a LOT of horses free, and have taken precisely one of them.
 

SatansLittleHelper

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 December 2011
Messages
5,744
Location
Shropshire
Visit site
Apart from the fact that I would normally go for geldings then yes she is more or less the happy hack that I'm looking for. But I definitely need to fine out more x
 

Capriole

Well-Known Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
7,824
Visit site
I'd probably go for her then, dependent on the severity of the laminitis incident and dependent on her being fine at this point, and be very aware of her management going forward.
 

Goldenstar

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 March 2011
Messages
45,796
Visit site
If you genuinely can ride six days every week then I would find out more about her laminitis .
If you will struggle to ride this much then no I would look for another .
 

SatansLittleHelper

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 December 2011
Messages
5,744
Location
Shropshire
Visit site
Thanks GS. At present I think that would be hard work esp with my young horse.
I really just want an easy project/hack to play with while my young lad starts his education.
 

Dry Rot

Well-Known Member
Joined
31 May 2010
Messages
5,847
Location
Scotland
Visit site
I was in much the same situation last year but no Laminitis. The pony was just the type I was looking to buy as a brood mare, but she was middle aged and had had only one foal years ago.

I decided against taking her because there was a chance she would not have another foal and then I would have to get her broken/brought back into work to sell her on as I have no room for passengers here. I wondered how the owner would react to that? Also, the earliest I would have a foal on the ground, if at all, would be 2015.

So, I suggest you weigh up the pros and cons very carefully. Personally, I would rather pay for a pony without Laminitis than take one on for nothing WITH Laminitis. But then I like an easy uncomplicated life.

Be aware that by taking on the horse, you are also taking on an obligation to the current owner. If it does not work out, can you do what the owner is now avoiding and have her PTS? If she comes right, could you sell her on if she didn't suit without upsetting her current owner? I decided against taking on additional responsibilities but that was my own very personal decision and only you can make that decision in your case for yourself.
 
Top