Ginger McCain

Caledonia

Visit site
So sad, and so sudden.

He was one of the very few trainers who told it like it was, and was unafraid to speak his mind. His common sense and understanding of racing was a strong voice in the current climate. Racing is the poorer for his loss.

Thoughts with his family at this very sad time.

His legacy to racing is Aintree. I hope that racing can sustain his beliefs.

RIP, Ginger.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I have just seen this news after looking at RP and I am really saddened by this :( He always seemed like he would go on forever. A true gentleman who enjoyed a laugh, I remember how his warm personality shone through whenever we spoke at Uttoxeter and that tip he gave me, Ebony Light that did win on the day he said he would!
He was always a pleasure to talk too, unlike some trainers who would close ranks as you approached them. Warm and full of life. His son Donald is very much in the same mould as his dad and is going the right way :)
Such sad news though and racing nor Aintree will never be the same without him.
Both him and his family helped to bring racing into the living rooms of the general public through his antics at Aintree and especially with Red Rum. He was such a down to earth character and especially in the training of Red Rum proved that you didn't have to have state of the art and fancy stables to train and win the races like he did. I will always admire him for that.
A true racing and National Hunt legend has been lost to the pages of time. He will never, ever be forgotten in the hearts and minds of many, and that is exactly how it should be.
RIP Ginger you were a legend XXX

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Very sad news. Racing is a sadder place today. What a character he was. Said it like it is, no frills. To have trained three Grand National winners was no mean feat, and no doubt he had a hand in Ballabriggs!
Reunited now with his beloved Red Rum. My thoughts to his family. What a loss to racing.
RIP Ginger, you'll always be remembered whenever the Grand National is spoken about.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
As others have said one of the great personalities of racing. Never one to shy away from difficult questions and always said it as it was. Will be truely missed. Rummy will be there at Rainbow Bridge.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Just seen the news on the RP site, and the letters of condolences and tributes. He was indeed a legend and a amazing character and proof if you have a dream to go for it.

He had much to be proud of and him and Red Rum are Aintree to a lot of people. His son Donald also must have given him much pride with his success in racing.

Rip Ginger.

SVMel

Visit site
Thoughts and love to the family, a truly great man who will be sadly missed.

I can just picture him and Rummy dancing over rainbow bridge together :)

DougalJ

Visit site
Very sad news - Red Rum was the horse that made me get interested in horses after watching the Grand National with my dad on the black and white tv and dad overjoyed at winning. Ginger McCain will be greatly missed.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Very sad news. Racing is a sadder place today. What a character he was. Said it like it is, no frills. To have trained three Grand National winners was no mean feat, and no doubt he had a hand in Ballabriggs!
Reunited now with his beloved Red Rum. My thoughts to his family. What a loss to racing.
RIP Ginger, you'll always be remembered whenever the Grand National is spoken about.

Must correct myself! FOUR Grand National winners! Doing him a great disservice! How could I forget Amberleigh House, ridden by one of my favourite jockeys, Graham Lee. Especially when I was fortunate enough to meet ther old lad about 3 years ago at the National Stud, when he was lodging there for a while. Huge apologies Ginger. You WERE Aintree!

snaptie

Visit site
Thinking of his family and friends. A man true to himself and true to others. Though his loss is terribly sad I think it wonderful he watched his son bring on Ballabriggs to win the National. The show goes on.

Rest in peace, sir.