Girth galls - any solutions?

Cluny

Visit site
Wonder if anyone has any magic solutions!

My new WB mare has a very fine coat, is thin skinned and has a very forward girth groove - not a great combination. She has three bare patches about the size of a 1p piece on her side where the girth goes. She is ridden in a well fitting dressage saddle with a shaped Leather Albion dressage girth (nice and wide) which is used in conjunction with a Lemieux merino wool girth guard, which is washed every time it's used (with wool wash) However the galls tend to look a little sore after each ride whether it be schooling or hacking.

My instructor has suggested washing them with Epsom Salts solution to toughen up the skin, but I wondered if anyone else had any suggestions?

Thank you!

titch

Visit site
My horse used to get girth galls when I used a leather girth (an expensive one at that, even with a Le Mieux sheepskin cover on). I bought a wintec breatable girth, one that's mean't to stretch in all directions, and not had a problem since :)

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Try surgical spirit. The dealer gave me some when I bought my boy because he had one. I knew it couldn't do any harm because I used it on my baby's umbilical cord (belly button) many years ago.

Topaz Tiger

Visit site
My horse used to get girth galls when I used a leather girth (an expensive one at that, even with a Le Mieux sheepskin cover on). I bought a wintec breatable girth, one that's mean't to stretch in all directions, and not had a problem since :)
I've got the same problem and was even consisting investing in one of those expensive girths they trialled at the olympics, but will definately try this first.... :D

ZondaR

Visit site
What Titch said. I also had an expensive leather girth, when my horse got galls from it I put a sheath on and he still got galls. I've had no problems since using a wintec. And it's inexpensive and easy to clean.

putasocinit

Visit site
diluted methylated spirits makes the skin tougher, but is it a girth gall or a girth rub which means the saddle is moving or your boot is causing it, try a longer girth so it is higher up on the saddle.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Another vote for the Wintec girths. Monty had hideous sore girth galls with every combo of girth/sleeve......until I bought a Wintec and we never had a problem again :)