Girth materials? Which are best for sensitive horses?

maya2008

Visit site
Anecdotally we have found that not all materials/types are equal. Nylon (mostly ok) vs softer padded (comfy but does not last) vs wintec (seem nice but rub) vs sheepskin (gets too wet esp on a pony that kind of swims through puddles)….?

Looking for something that would be suitable for all, copes well in the rain and is easy to clean. I have too many girths of too many different types, because some horses are more/less sensitive!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Leather -rubbed
stubben soft cord- bunched and rubbed
plastic ok
pro choice venteck ok (I'd probably argue that might be your best bet for an all round/for everyone)
sheepskin ok

so I think you'll be keeping your collection lol.

Zuzan

Visit site
Mohair .. like the Stubben soft cord but all natural fibre .. brilliant for hot weather too as very breathable / wicks sweat away.
blank.gif

Last edited:

maya2008

Visit site
Thanks, I have a few Pro choice ones but most are very old now and the elastic has gone. I could gradually get more…

I have one string girth - was fine on the NF it was bought for, but was pulling hair out last winter on my sports pony. Literally, when you took it off, there was hair stuck in it and she was going bald!

Thanks for all the answers, very interesting!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
My native is sensitive and didn't get on at all with a Stubben string girth. We use a Prolite girth with a home made cover and this seems to be best.

I must admit, I personally try to avoid any leather tack so it wouldn't be my first choice based on upkeep alone.

Carrottom

Visit site
I have found leather best for my tbs, I use wool sleeves for sensitive or just clipped. I find width of girth important to prevent rubs.

Roxylola

Visit site
I've found the cheap wintec girths seem to suit most horses. They do seem to get a bit sweaty but no rubs or anything, and they're slightly elastic so you don't over tighten but they've got breathing room

windand rain

Visit site
A leather balding girth kept meticulously clean and soft (thanks creme de menthe) only girth never to rub it is very old too

claret09

Visit site
i still use a cottage craft girth and have done for years. i find it is still most comfortable for my boy

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Mine hated the prolite anatomical girth.

Prefers the cheapy denver one.

The other one I have found works well is the ideal f2. My big lad gets on very well with it.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I tried many different girths on my thin-skinned TBx and the best for him were the Keiffer neoprene girths. They wash really well and last for years.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
String girths usually work well for sensitive / soft skinned horses IME (although I see up there that Ester had a problem with one).

Where horses have what I call a "pouchy" girth goove, ie a distinct groove, short from front to back, possibly deep and possibly with a big belly, the Stubben girth will fold and pinch.

I love the lack of consensus on this thread ?

Indeed, there is no one magic answer, a lot depends on saddle fit too, if your saddle is running forwards or is put on too far forwards you're more likely to get rubs, if your horse's elbows are tight into their ribcage you're more likely to, and bulky sheepskin covers will make this worse, it's about space.

spookypony

Visit site
Depends so much on the horse shape...mine are all short-backed, solid types, and for them, a crescent shape works well, and for rubbing, I've found sheepskin best. Even if it gets wet, it still doesn't rub. If there's a sensitive spot, putting baby powder on it before riding can also help.

Zuzan

Visit site
Where are people getting these from in the UK?
My last one came from Wind Rider .. USA .. Montana Cincha seem to have some of the nicest .. I also have one made in the UK by someone who breeds Mustangs somewhere in E Anglia I think .. but I can't remember which was also very good .. she did or still does make to order.

ETA found the UK maker of Mohair Girth Spanish Mustangs UK ..

Last edited:

Zuzan

Visit site
Where horses have what I call a "pouchy" girth goove, ie a distinct groove, short from front to back, possibly deep and possibly with a big belly, the Stubben girth will fold and pinch.

Indeed, there is no one magic answer, a lot depends on saddle fit too, if your saddle is running forwards or is put on too far forwards you're more likely to get rubs, if your horse's elbows are tight into their ribcage you're more likely to, and bulky sheepskin covers will make this worse, it's about space.

These shaped Mohair girths avoid these issues Mohair Girth.JPG

marmalade76

Visit site
I used to use Cottage Craft & Aerborne, then switched to the plastic Atherstone shaped girths, now I have the neoprene lined non- slip girths (mine are made by Sheldon, Professionals Choice do one that looks the same). They're lightweight and easy to clean, dirt doesn't seem to stick to them too much. All have been fine even on thin skinned animals (arab, TB) as well as natives. I'm a fan of leather Atherstone girths too.