Girth Recommendations

Stenners

Visit site
I had my saddle fitted to my new mare last week and I have my old horses that I'm using but looking to get a couple of 'nice' girths (currently using the Thorogood ones which are about 10 years old!).

I'm thinking maybe an anatomical girth or something?

It's for a 14.2 (god knows what!) connie/native type.

What would you all recommend?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’ve been really impressed with the GFS premier endurance girth I bought recently. Still expensive but not as much as some of the similar things out there… lovely soft leather and fits horse very well! Saddler also liked it and asked where it was from which I always take as a good sign!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I went for an expensive chunky monkey anatomical girth. I love it, it's so soft and comfortable, elastic at both ends.

My lad was slimming down from a 60" to a 58" so I don't have a huge amount of choice when it comes to finding girths, not many come in those sizes.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I really like my Prolite girth.

My horse seems more comfortable in it, it's stable and you can chuck it in a bucket to wash it off after a ride.

Smooshy

Visit site
I like the prolite girths, my pony has large shoulders and a forward girth groove, and keeps everything where it should be. I recently bought a le mieux gel tek anatomic girth when I needed a different size. It is nicely padded/ soft and my sensitive pony hasn't needed a girth sleeve with the gel tek.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I fit mostly natives, cobs, wide horses and recommend the Harry Dabbs synthetic anatomical, elastic both ends, or the Stubben string girth. A really good Atherstone with a wide, shaped centre panel and strong elastic is always a good option but tend to be expensive. Cheaper girths tend to have much too stretchy elastic.

I would say though to ask your fitter, these girths work the way I fit saddles, but many fitters recommend only fixed girths for wider horses.

GrassChop

Visit site
I recently purchased a Prolite girth after recommendations on here and so far, it seems to have worked on my forward girth groove horse and she seems comfortable in it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
For a prolite - i'm assuming these dont work with GP saddles with the short straps?

They make long girths. However, they are not the magic girths they purport to be, like any girth they work for some and not for others. On bigger bellies they tend to cut in too much at the back, unlike straight girths that may cut in too much at the front because they're tipping backwards to get to the saddle. I also find the split in the girth straps makes using a point and balance strap difficult, and reduces its effectiveness, I prefer a bigger split. The Stubben cord girth has a similarish issue if you want to use adjacent girth straps as the buckles are very wide they end up sitting on top of each other, but otherwise it's a great girth for all but very "pouchy" girth grooves.

Hackback

Visit site
They make long girths. However, they are not the magic girths they purport to be, like any girth they work for some and not for others. On bigger bellies they tend to cut in too much at the back, unlike straight girths that may cut in too much at the front because they're tipping backwards to get to the saddle. I also find the split in the girth straps makes using a point and balance strap difficult, and reduces its effectiveness, I prefer a bigger split. The Stubben cord girth has a similarish issue if you want to use adjacent girth straps as the buckles are very wide they end up sitting on top of each other, but otherwise it's a great girth for all but very "pouchy" girth grooves.
This is really interesting. My Arab hated the Prolite but he does have what my physio calls tactfully 'an Arab barrel'.

GrassChop

Visit site
This is really interesting. My Arab hated the Prolite but he does have what my physio calls tactfully 'an Arab barrel'.

My Arab is in a Prolite and she is very barrelled but so far no issues but I'm going to double check now. I didn't feel it digging in the last few times on the edge but I'll check again!

Scarlett

Visit site
I recently bought the Collegiate anatomical girth for 2 of my horses and I've been really impressed with it. No rubbing, it fits both well even though they are totally different shapes, can be wiped down or hosed off as its synthetic and its, imo, much nicer than the Prolite as its softer. Also very reasonably priced for a decent girth.

https://gsequestrian.co.uk/products...ieKXnXvuQDAhvPcATMxF3DqOJziZgBGEaAjG6EALw_wcB