Girth rubs

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Anyone any good solutions for girth rubs (apart from stop riding or start bareback) Prefer preventions. My welsh cob's got naf skin and elbows are very close to his girth grove- He has a bit too much skin. He has a soft leather atherstone girth with elastic on one end and always wears a nuumed sheepskin on it. -he is better clipped which he is. I always pull out his legs and only have a tight girth when necessary ie when jumping as his saddle fits really well and doesn't move. He tends to get a small bald patch which I will smother with MSM cream which helps but if often gets bigger. before better. He has a small lump on one side which has been there a couple of years and cos I have had xmas off work and ridden every day he now has another bald patch.
We have similar issues with my mums anglo- tho no lumps, we think we are doing all we can but most people we know have no problems so all suggestions welcome!

eekmon

Visit site
I used to have the same prob with my horse, old thin skinned & rubbed easily ( small lumps too on occasion )
Was recommended on here a Nuumed girth sleeve , worked a treat http://www.nuumed.com/products_accessories1.htm

Ooops sorry just re read your post
blush.gif

flowerlady

Visit site
Every time you ride your horses must be sweating under the girth. Wash girth area in salt water and clean the girth after every ride (I would not use sheepskin as this can be the cause of skin irritations apparently).

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Try rubbing Methylated Spirits(the clear stuff) into the area it is excellent for toughening up skin, and will kill any infection/fungi that might be hanging around.
Beware if applying to broken skin they might jump around a bit...
I have found girth covers sheepskin, or soft 'rope' girths (like the one you can get for western saddles) if kept soft and clean to be very good.
Good luck!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks, I think I will try get him a string girth, I did think about one ages ago but had forgotten about it as you don't see them about that much. He is particularly bad when he is changing his coat as the hair is so soft to start with (so much for getting a hardy cob) so will get one well before spring! I used to work at a riding school where the horses would do 3 hours a day easily with girths that weren't always clean and were very tight as not the best saddles and in the 6 years I was there we never had any probs.

thought I had heard that using surgical/ methylated spirit could make skin less elastic which is why I haven't gone down that route but might give it a try, tho he normally ends up just bald not sore.

Has anyone used cornecrescine on to make hair grow? Haven't tried it as didn't want to make it worse.