Girth straps- which ones do you use??

Hippona

Visit site
Started pondering something yesterday- as you do.....and now I'm kind of obsessed by it:eek:

I usually use the 2 end girth straps and leave the middle one dangling.

I vaguely remember the saddle fitter telling me you could use different ones for different purposes i/e to stop saddles slipping to the side and what-not. I fully admit to not taking much notice:eek:

Plus I have noticed some saddles have point straps and extra straps further back.....

So now I am thinking- and I can't quite believe I am asking this question after several zillion years of simply putting saddle on and doing up the girth automatically....

How are you supposed to do your girth up?:D

*runs off before I get lynched and kicked off the forum*

ps....have a mince pie as bribery:D

scrunchie

Visit site
I've always used the first and last straps just like you!

I was taught to do that when I first started riding 20 years ago. Might be a bit outdated now though. :confused:

Boxers

Visit site
first and third. i was taught never to use second and third as they are sewn onto the same piece of leather. the middle one is for emergency use if one of the others breaks i think.

POLLDARK

Visit site
Use the first & third for normal use. I believe that you can use tthe first two together & the second two together aswell if you need to stop the saddle slipping either forward or back. Don't ask me which way round you do it for either thing though, I've forgotten. A saddler will tell you.

abbijay

Visit site
Totally going against everything I was ever taught as a kid I use 2nd and 3rd straps on mine! This was on the saddler's advice for my shark fin withered horse, if we used the 1st strap it would secure the front of the saddle down onto his withers - ouchy!

rhino

Visit site
For anyone using the 2nd and 3rd straps, please please check how they are attached to the body of the saddle, they need to have separate attachment points to be safe. A lot of saddles have separate attachments for the 1st strap and then the 2nd and 3rd are on the same one. If this breaks and you are using the 2nd and 3rd straps you are in trouble! :eek:

Found a picture to illustrate:
end.jpg

You can see that the 1st strap has its own nylon attachment but 2 and 3 are attached to the same nylon strap (ignore the red circle; I didn't put that there!)

ETA didn't answer question! Use 1st and 3rd as standard :)

Last edited:

JustMe22

Visit site
I normally use 1st and 3rd, but with my SJ saddle i use the 2nd and 3rd as saddler advised me this was best in order to stop it pulling forward onto his shoulders. He had some muscle wastage ( but less serious!) so wanted to let him develop those muscles.

Wish my dressage saddle had 3 straps as one has snapped! Grrr

Jemima_P

Visit site
1st and 3rd on mine, but use 1st and 2nd on horses I ride for as owners said both saddles slipped forward (although personally I think the saddles don't fit properly! but thats another conversation :p)

ellie_e

Visit site
Really interesting post, Ive also been taught to use 1st and 3rd however when I bought my new saddle fitter advised me to use 2nd and 3rd, my trainer recently commented on this and told me to use 1&3 but then looking at saddle further realised that they are on separate breaking points