Girthing up - stretching out forelegs...

Mellis

Visit site
Too logical to question! Old ways are not always bad. Problem is an awful lot of owners nowadays have received no formal training

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just what I was going to say. you can surely do more damage tightening an elasticated girth too quickly..

Think we're getting mixed up between physio type stretches and gently stretching the skin smooth..
My 'old-school' friend (even older school than me, lol) insists that a saddle should really stay put because of the rider's balance, rather than being held in place by the girth.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't tend to these days. Used to be religious about it but I don't see the need now, I have enough faffing to do with various bits of high viz, hoof boots and body protector :rolleyes:

Queenbee

Visit site
I always lift the leg forward slightly and then place my hand infront if the girth and stretch the skin without stretching the leg... Have always been warned never to pull the leg forward to much prior to warming when the muscles are cold, so yes, I ensure there is no skin pinched under the girth but not in the conventional way... All stretches are done after riding when my horse is warmed up, not before.

Last edited:

Undecided

Visit site
I always stretch his legs out, and if I forget he stands there waving them around until I remember! I also stand in front to check the bridle is level and make sure that where the saddle, numnah and girth all meet is smooth :)

X

xspiralx

My 'old-school' friend (even older school than me, lol) insists that a saddle should really stay put because of the rider's balance, rather than being held in place by the girth.

I think it's relatively true. On occasions I completely forget to tighten the girth after I get on and will only realise after I've been working in all paces for some time that you can actually see air between my girth and the horse - whoops!

Much easier to do if you've got a horse with a bit of a wither though, and a saddle that fits correctly.

winkles

Visit site
Was never taught to but did start doing it at the request of horse's owner.
Would probably continue doing it if my hypothetical-pony ever became real.
I also check the bridle for straightness and sort out whiskers/forelock :)

winkles

Visit site
On occasions I completely forget to tighten the girth after I get on and will only realise after I've been working in all paces for some time that you can actually see air between my girth and the horse - whoops!

I once forgot to do up the girth and only realised when my horse spooked sideways :eek: The saddle & I slipped the other way and I did an impromptu panic-and-rebalance-quick before we regained harmony :cool:

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I do it. There are always wrinkles of skin under the girth and it pulls them flat. You can't "pull the leg out", horses have no collar bone or shoulder socket and you support the knee with your hands. I normally support the fetlock too and let the horse pull back against me if it wants. I figure the horse isn't going to over-stretch itself.

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
I've always done it since I got my first horse over 30 years ago. My boy now presents his legs one at a time for stretching after I've girthed him (and after running the gauntlet of gnashing teeth, ears flat back and overall grumpiness).
I was told years ago that it ensured the girth didn't pinch and it help it set in the right place. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but old habits die hard so I'll continue to do it until someone tells me otherwise.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
I had this drummed into me too, but when I had the physio out earlier in the year, she said not to...and I can't for the life of me remember why!

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
I was taught to to prevent wrinkles. I usually just lift it slightly without the leg stretch and let my ponies decide if they want to go for a big stretch. My horse usually goes for it with a giant chest to the ground type that I can hardly hold whereas my pony prefers to be gently lifted from the knee area so no wrinkles but no stretch.

CazD

Visit site
I always used to - but my saddler told me it was not good for the horse to do it - cant remember quite why but I think it was something to do with overstretching the muscle before the horse had warmed up properly.

Jnhuk

Visit site
I don't and have never been taught to when I worked for a very well respected old fashioned yard and that was the days of the old string girths. We ran our hand under the girth instead.

My physio was going on about it recently and how she wished folks didn't do it.

Can I ask a numpty question to those who do, what difference does stretching the leg do compared to the horse stepping forward and moving that leg when you lead them forwards? I honestly can't see it doing anything different?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don't and have never been taught to when I worked for a very well respected old fashioned yard and that was the days of the old string girths. We ran our hand under the girth instead.

My physio was going on about it recently and how she wished folks didn't do it.

Can I ask a numpty question to those who do, what difference does stretching the leg do compared to the horse stepping forward and moving that leg when you lead them forwards? I honestly can't see it doing anything different?
Very possibly no difference but that would be that answer to the physio as well.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Always done it my old boy did it himself lol Bonnie knows to do it too girth up gently hole by hole had stretch and then just before I get on double check it once on double check again

Spyda

Visit site
I do it with my 16.2 WBxTB when I tack her up but most of the time she'll take it to extremes and end up bowing. It's ridiculous! She's such a numpty for a big horse - she's more like a circus pony :rolleyes:

Tickles

Visit site
Only done it when specifically requested by one (elderly) owner. Not on any others I've ridden since being taught that it can do more harm than good if you over-stretch.

As others have said, if only doing it gently like a step then not going to do more than horse actually stepping which I did encourage with one sensitive one (lead in circle between girth holes to calm/change scene).

PolarSkye

Visit site
yes,always,horsey nearly does it on her own!
i also like to make sure that where girth,nunmah and saddle all meet are nice and smooth too.

(i never girth up all in one go,i pick feet out in between then go back and it goes up a couple of holes.hate to see people yank the girth up)

another thing i do is stand infront and check bridle is level.

This. I always do it . . . and I always check there are no rucks under numnah, bridle is level, nothing is caught, etc. KaliBear obviously loves it because he gives me his leg.

P

MileAMinute

Visit site
I don't tend to these days. Used to be religious about it but I don't see the need now, I have enough faffing to do with various bits of high viz, hoof boots and body protector :rolleyes:

This, but only mainly because I forget to do it as I'm busy doing X, Y and Z!

Although I will prob be more conscientious and do it more when I get back on the 4yo in the new year! He is a sensitive soul....

NeverSayNever

Visit site
i always used to do it, was taught 20 odd years ago to do it but last time my saddler was out she told me off for it and said the first step the horse takes they smooth out any wrinkles themselves anyway.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Yep I do. I can imagine it would be a little uncomfy having wrinkles underneath, although they would gradually work out with movement I guess.