Girths - worth the money for Stubben/centerline/WOW

AmeliaA

Visit site
What’s everyone’s opinion on girths like the WOW H girth, stubben Equisoft or the centerline Scharf freedom girths? They all sounds good but are painfully expensive! Worth the money or just gimmicky?

Irish-Only

Visit site
I bought a 2nd hand Eric Le Tixerant girth that flexes and gives really nicely over the sternum. Not sure that the more expensive new designs are any better.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I think they can work really well for some horses, but it's not always predictable which horse. I recommend trialling one before committing - most are a lot of work and, if decent leather quality, are "worth" the money, but only if they suit your horse. There are some basic very good girths that cost around £50, so it all depends on your horse.

SEL

Visit site
I've got a WOW H-girth & I'd suggest trialling one or buying 2nd hand. It did help with saddle stability but having the saddle refitted by someone new helped more!

I've lent it to two friends. One saw no difference in her horse but the other loved it from day 1 so she picked one up 2nd hand

millikins

Visit site
Our saddler advised a string girth for our Dales mare, I was about to order the Stubben one when I realised the company did an own brand version for half the price. So far very pleased with it, nice quality and the pony seems to like it.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
I trialled a scharf girth from centre line my horse didn't like it but the box it came in was almost worth the trial cost?

Mine are v happy in AH beautiful soft leather girth and a Harry dabbs synthetic.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I’ve got a wow saddle and have just ordered a new girth ? but I trialled it first. No way I’m spending out that much money without knowing if it will work. Previous wow girth I bought second hand and would have done the same if there was any for sale. There are so many options and what you think may suit might not. My saddler loaned me the trial girth which was massively helpful. If you can’t trial, definitely try second hand (or borrow if anyone is kind enough to let you!).

AmeliaA

Visit site
I’ve got a wow saddle and have just ordered a new girth ? but I trialled it first. No way I’m spending out that much money without knowing if it will work. Previous wow girth I bought second hand and would have done the same if there was any for sale. There are so many options and what you think may suit might not. My saddler loaned me the trial girth which was massively helpful. If you can’t trial, definitely try second hand (or borrow if anyone is kind enough to let you!).
Did you find the WOW girth increased comfort? I don’t have any issues with saddle stability but just trying to make things as comfortable as I can for my boy. Especially as he hides in the back of his stable when I bring his saddle out ??

sbloom

Did you find the WOW girth increased comfort? I don’t have any issues with saddle stability but just trying to make things as comfortable as I can for my boy. Especially as he hides in the back of his stable when I bring his saddle out ??

Sounds like you need a complete appraisal of the saddle, ticking a box that "it fits" is wholly in adequate if the horse isn't wanting to be tacked up. You might of course be all over this already and just working through options, but a lot of fitters do this, and to me it's never that simple. Trying other options, other saddles, other pads etc, and seeing what he prefers, is part of it, referrals and team work to other professionals is also part of it.

Forgive me if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs or being unfair to your fitter but it's something seldom talked about.

AmeliaA

Visit site
I think they can work really well for some horses, but it's not always predictable which horse. I recommend trialling one before committing - most are a lot of work and, if decent leather quality, are "worth" the money, but only if they suit your horse. There are some basic very good girths that cost around £50, so it all depends on your horse.
I’m not actually sure I’m going to get one unless I could find an affordable one second hand. I’m looking more to increase comfort - my boy doesn’t seem unhappy with his current girth but I think it’s always nice to see if he could be happier! Is there any affordable girths you’d suggest that are more comfortable than a basic girth?

AmeliaA

Visit site
Sounds like you need a complete appraisal of the saddle, ticking a box that "it fits" is wholly in adequate if the horse isn't wanting to be tacked up. You might of course be all over this already and just working through options, but a lot of fitters do this, and to me it's never that simple. Trying other options, other saddles, other pads etc, and seeing what he prefers, is part of it, referrals and team work to other professionals is also part of it.

Forgive me if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs or being unfair to your fitter but it's something seldom talked about.

no, I’m glad you mentioned it! I do really rate my saddle fitter and he is comfortable with his tack (trust me I’m a helicopter owner lol he’s had countless saddle fits, chiros, vets etc). It’s always the first thing I check. I think it’s more upset he’s going to be ridden than anything tack related lol
The girth is just something I keep seeing advertised and wondering if I can do more
Edit:: I’m very preachy about saddle fit too so no offence taken ?

sbloom

I'd go a level deeper then, and you probably are, why doesn't he want to be ridden....horses like movement, it makes them feel good, so when they don't want to work there's usually something else going on. I doubt a girth is going to be key but if you try one easily then might as well.

AmeliaA

Visit site
I'd go a level deeper then, and you probably are, why doesn't he want to be ridden....horses like movement, it makes them feel good, so when they don't want to work there's usually something else going on. I doubt a girth is going to be key but if you try one easily then might as well.
I usually put it down to him being like me - can’t be arsed until he’s doing it then he enjoys it ??. I actually think it stems from him being in a riding school for a few months - really soured him and I feel very guilty about it. He loves his work when he’s out but I definitely thinks he remembers what happened at the school. Same reason why I only school 2/3 times a week and try and make it fun for him. He’s also worse when he has a flare up of his arthritis. I say worse - the most he does is stands at the back of his stable and messes with his rug then walks off again when I put his saddle on ?

Fluffypiglet

Visit site

yes to some degree due to the sternum plate (not the h girth), he does feel more comfortable albeit the wow saddle had done most of the improvement already. It was because his old straight girth wasnt sitting well as it was pulling the back girth strap forwards so it’s being bought to help a problem rather than just because.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
By the way, when I had my old Albion GP I had many girths in an attempt to improve comfort. My sensitive flower liked the stubben string girth and a bucas optima girth with a wide bit over his sternum. He’s good at sharing his likes and dislikes by the angle of his ears! ??

eggs

Visit site
yes to some degree due to the sternum plate (not the h girth), he does feel more comfortable albeit the wow saddle had done most of the improvement already. It was because his old straight girth wasnt sitting well as it was pulling the back girth strap forwards so it’s being bought to help a problem rather than just because.

I had two saddles for my mare both of which fitted her according to the saddle fitter. If I brought one out of the tack room she didn't react but if I brought the other one out she would pin her ears back and move away. The both looked very similar but she definitely made her views know.

AmeliaA

Visit site
By the way, when I had my old Albion GP I had many girths in an attempt to improve comfort. My sensitive flower liked the stubben string girth and a bucas optima girth with a wide bit over his sternum. He’s good at sharing his likes and dislikes by the angle of his ears! ??
Lots of suggestions about a string girth! I’ll have a look. Do they nip?

Amy_May

New User
Visit site
I have the Stubben Equisoft and the Le Trixerant, in summer my riding mare can get a bit girthy with slight surface tension across her ribs. The Equisoft is awkward and causes as many pinch/rub/tension issues as it solves. The Le Trixerant is good, and keeps the saddle very still while looking very smart, I like it for jumping. Ironically she is happiest in a plain shires no rub girth, at shedding time with a fleece sleeve, I think the lack of elastic on this is actually why she likes it as it doesn't move about on her ribs/intercoastal muscles.
I have also tried: A narrow mesh/neoprene type girth (she was overweight and this was a budget choice), a plain atherstone style Equiline girth (not practical, but looks well for photos or showing).
For my TB i got a Ventech girth from Professionals choice, absolutely the best one I've used in years, she sweated up badly and it never rubbed or moved despite her being shaped like a greyhound and hunting up vertical hills. It is as wide as your palm and gives great support but is very soft also. It doesn't fit my riding horse so I might get a larger version for her. If it is purely a choice based on comfort I would choose this one.