Girths?!!

sjp1

Visit site
So am wondering what girth to use on my very sensitive lad. He is a shire x cob x hackney - so not narrow but doesn't have a huge shoulder like my last horse did and I am finding the saddle is slipping forward.

I am leaning toward a curved girth I think that will keep the saddle back. The saddle has been fitted by template so nothing wrong with the fit of the saddle.

Are the Fairfax long girths a silver bullet or is there anything else that is as good. And elasticated on both sides or non elasticated? Hadn't realised girths would be such an issue!!

mandyroberts

Visit site
Don't think there is a one solution fits all. I've looked at various recommendations and there is no common view. Would try to borrow some to try before you buy especially as some are expensive. Some horses love the Fairfax and others hate it

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
The Fairfax girths are lovely - the leather is quality and it seems very comfortable for the horse. Don’t know how much they’d do to stop the saddle slipping however - the focus in the design is more for freedom of movement, not on gripping the saddle in place. Having said that, my ISH has a Fairfax long girth and his saddle is very secure, but then again he has massive shoulders. If someone near you has one then it’s definitely worth a try

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I had the prolite version (non elasticated) but it didn't work for us as he still managed to pull it forwards and then it gaped at the sides (he can't tolerate leather hence the prolite).

Does yours have a forwards groove? There are plenty of less extreme shaped options too (the other horse has an ideal F2 affinity that has worked well).

For frank his best options were either the harry dabbs waffle one (but the binding goes after time) or the pro choice ventech which holds itself back a bit and is very soft) - our main issue was rubbed elbows, but the one in the ideal has a tendency to pull forwards (lack of shoulder and bum high too!)

Shay

Visit site
The best thing to do is ask your saddler. A properly fitted saddle doesn't slip - fitted by template or otherwise. But there are horses who are more difficult to fit and if you can't afford a properly fitted saddle there are things you can do to improve the fit of something cheaper. But if this is the case you are far better working with your saddler to find a suitable solution than guessing on what might be needed.

ester

Visit site
TBF the Palos saddle was a M2M ideal by an excellent saddler, her confo just means you are always going to be struggling against it, especially if she stops quick!

sportsmansB

Visit site
I swear by the professionals choice ventech girths
They have a sticky sort of back which seems to help keep the saddle still
They don't rub (the spur rest on my boots has been known to rub my sensitive horse, so I'm pretty sure on that!)
And the bonus is they are about £70 which is a LOT less than some of the fancy ones
I have had 2 short and 2 long ones and they are all the same

atropa

Visit site
I have a mare with a slightly uneven pelvis, huge shoulders and a forward girth groove and also have problems with her saddle shifting around sometimes. I used to use a conventional double sided elastic girth and she suffered from very sore muscles on her girth line, to the point where she would snap at you for touching them.
I have sinced switched to a Prolite girth, which really seems to have helped her – no more sore muscles and a happier horse to tack up and ride. I also use it in conjunction with a gel saddle pad to help prevent the saddle slipping, although I have to be really careful to ensure it’s as straight as straight can be when I tack up in the first place.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I was advised to use a pro lite with my fairfax dressage saddle. I use a sheepskin girth cover and I’m happy with the results- saddle stays put and he has more reach through his front legs.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Go back to your fitter in the first instance, although some ponies especially can be super hard to get saddles to stay back on, it may need a further fitting adjustment. Fitting to template simply refers to the width, and actually, just to be technically correct, that isn't possible with a changeable headplate saddle as the width isnt' fully customisable unlike wooden trees. And sometimes a certain saddle won't stay back no matter how it's fitted but another one will.

sjp1

Visit site
I have a mare with a slightly uneven pelvis, huge shoulders and a forward girth groove and also have problems with her saddle shifting around sometimes. I used to use a conventional double sided elastic girth and she suffered from very sore muscles on her girth line, to the point where she would snap at you for touching them.
I have sinced switched to a Prolite girth, which really seems to have helped her – no more sore muscles and a happier horse to tack up and ride. I also use it in conjunction with a gel saddle pad to help prevent the saddle slipping, although I have to be really careful to ensure it’s as straight as straight can be when I tack up in the first place.

Thats really helpful - thank you. I am a bit jury out on the Prolite as the shaping seems good but am not sure about the material - I was thinking about the sheepskin cover - still works out cheaper than the leather!! My lad had a lot of soreness when I got him - too tight a saddle and couldn't even be groomed, he is a chunk but sensitive!! Pain is going now - no riding and chiro and proper saddle fitted. He doesn't have a huge shoulder but a big barrel and he doesn't seem to like my double sided elastic elevator leather girth that my previous horse did like!

sjp1

Visit site
Go back to your fitter in the first instance, although some ponies especially can be super hard to get saddles to stay back on, it may need a further fitting adjustment. Fitting to template simply refers to the width, and actually, just to be technically correct, that isn't possible with a changeable headplate saddle as the width isnt' fully customisable unlike wooden trees. And sometimes a certain saddle won't stay back no matter how it's fitted but another one will.

Thank you for that - it is a Swain saddle so not just a changeable headplate and was sent to Kay's workshop and template done by Kay Humphries fitter so am fairly sure it is right. Sometimes though girths do make a difference - my friend had a brand new Andrea Hicks saddle fitted for her daughters pony. Fitter came out twice and the saddle still bounced about all over the place and ended up on the ponies neck - girth straps seemed weird and there was no way that saddle was going to stay where it was supposed to with a big barrelled no shoulder pony. However, a shoulder relief girth sorted it.

sbloom

Sorry, mixed up Fairfax with your saddle :).

I'm sure you know I'm a fitter for AH, I'm glad the girth worked, would obviously want to know more about the story, perhaps you could pm me? The girth straps are always four straps, a point strap, these days placed on the rear half of the point, two middle straps and a rear balance strap, not particularly weird, though we fit very differently to Kay. So many different saddle fitting approaches out there.

sjp1

Visit site
I was advised to use a pro lite with my fairfax dressage saddle. I use a sheepskin girth cover and I’m happy with the results- saddle stays put and he has more reach through his front legs.

Prolite or Fairfax sounding good so far!! I am leaning toward a prolite with a sheepskin cover unless I can find a second hand leather Fairfax for a similar price. I wouldn't mind paying if I knew it was going to help!! There is somewhere there does trials on Fairfax girths isn't there? Or perhaps the issues that people have found with the prolite girths can be sorted with the sheepskin girth cover? I thought saddles, bits and bridles were a nightmare - seem to be progressing to girths now!!

sjp1

Visit site
Sorry, mixed up Fairfax with your saddle :).

I'm sure you know I'm a fitter for AH, I'm glad the girth worked, would obviously want to know more about the story, perhaps you could pm me? The girth straps are always four straps, a point strap, these days placed on the rear half of the point, two middle straps and a rear balance strap, not particularly weird, though we fit very differently to Kay. So many different saddle fitting approaches out there.

Of course there are and it just shows that nothing suits everything as with everything else in life!! When I said weird girthing it wasn't the girthing arrangement just that when the saddle was placed on the pony there was no way that it was going to sit where it should - I am no fitter but the girth straps were so far back (I am not saying incorrectly) but for that ponies conformation the saddle was never going to stay where it should do because any girth other than a shoulder relief girth where it is shaped for that issue would pull it all forward. The girth straps straight down on that saddle appear further set back and are at the wider part of her belly and simple physics says it just won't ever work!

sjp1

Visit site
I swear by the professionals choice ventech girths
They have a sticky sort of back which seems to help keep the saddle still
They don't rub (the spur rest on my boots has been known to rub my sensitive horse, so I'm pretty sure on that!)
And the bonus is they are about £70 which is a LOT less than some of the fancy ones
I have had 2 short and 2 long ones and they are all the same

I had a professional choice girth years ago for my appy and he hated it - in fact it was the only girth he used to cow kick with when even girthing up loosely. I know a lot of people rate pro choice girths and I used their boots for my TB and loved them - I am just nervous of the girths now - although they are two different horses who seem to like different things!!

sjp1

Visit site
I had the prolite version (non elasticated) but it didn't work for us as he still managed to pull it forwards and then it gaped at the sides (he can't tolerate leather hence the prolite).

Does yours have a forwards groove? There are plenty of less extreme shaped options too (the other horse has an ideal F2 affinity that has worked well).

For frank his best options were either the harry dabbs waffle one (but the binding goes after time) or the pro choice ventech which holds itself back a bit and is very soft) - our main issue was rubbed elbows, but the one in the ideal has a tendency to pull forwards (lack of shoulder and bum high too!)

Was looking at him today and I think he does a bit - not extreme but he doesn't have the big shoulder my appy did to keep saddles where they should be but he does have a big barrel - so that is going to push the saddle forward and without a big shoulder there isn't enough to push it back. He is quite sensitive sternum wise as well. I did read an article which I can no longer find so am off to google again about horses with not a huge shoulder but a big barrel - am sure it began with a C but can't remember now!! I am not sure if this lad tolerates leather either - he didn't like my Elevator girth. Shall have a look at Affinity girths!!

ester

Visit site
I understand your nervousness, I resisted buying the pro choice after several years of suggestion on here until he was practically retired! I don't know how we ended up with two tricky to girth ones but we did (grown up with everything in a cottage craft waffle washed every month and all fine)
I spent a lot of time looking at them, almost got one made for him as being only a 42" was rather restrictive too! There's been a few more options released since I was having to look though. Kramer make a lot of different shapes.

Frank just always rubbed with leather, he was better with plastic and I used to add dead sheep for coat changing times.

sjp1

Visit site
I understand your nervousness, I resisted buying the pro choice after several years of suggestion on here until he was practically retired! I don't know how we ended up with two tricky to girth ones but we did (grown up with everything in a cottage craft waffle washed every month and all fine)
I spent a lot of time looking at them, almost got one made for him as being only a 42" was rather restrictive too! There's been a few more options released since I was having to look though. Kramer make a lot of different shapes.

Frank just always rubbed with leather, he was better with plastic and I used to add dead sheep for coat changing times.

I think a less extreme shaped option might be better as you say. He is nowhere near the extreme forward girth groove that my friends pony has and he isn't particularly sensitive rubbing wise rather pressure wise. I remember those Cottage Craft girths - they were great - and the saddles we had in the tack room were the saddles we had and they were put on whatever!! I don't remember everything being so complicated as kids!! The Pro choice aren't such a bad price either and I am seeing so many second hand, hardly used Prolite girths on both ebay and facebook that it worries me a bit really. Shall have a look at Kramer too.

sjp1

Visit site
I had a professional choice girth years ago for my appy and he hated it - in fact it was the only girth he used to cow kick with when even girthing up loosely. I know a lot of people rate pro choice girths and I used their boots for my TB and loved them - I am just nervous of the girths now - although they are two different horses who seem to like different things!!

Am now looking at the pro choice girths ...........!! They are a better price and not quite so extreme, and I am sure they have come on a lot in the 15 years that I last tried one! And that girth was not shaped, just grippy and I think appy resented grippy!! The more modern ones aren't grippy are they? Like the gel pads that people use to stop saddles slipping?

sbloom

When I said weird girthing it wasn't the girthing arrangement just that when the saddle was placed on the pony there was no way that it was going to sit where it should - I am no fitter but the girth straps were so far back (I am not saying incorrectly) but for that ponies conformation the saddle was never going to stay where it should do because any girth other than a shoulder relief girth where it is shaped for that issue would pull it all forward. The girth straps straight down on that saddle appear further set back and are at the wider part of her belly and simple physics says it just won't ever work!

The point strap is correctly set on the back of the point, it is not recommended to have point straps squarely over the point, so you can't get further forwards than that. You would then use the third strap, or possibly, in extremis, the second strap (both attached in the normal place, the middle of the sweat flap), with it, to place the girth in a forward girth groove. Sometimes a curved girth is needed.

sjp1

Visit site
So - a little update. He really prefers synthetic girths and sheepskin numnah's - total opposite to my appy! New saddle to us (second hand WH/Dressage balanced and reflocked to fit him, and rode him in this day before yesterday with a sheepskin numnah and fellow liveries Wintec chafeless girth. Showed him saddle and he approved - he has tried to bite at previous saddles which is just weird! With this set up he ate hay and was calm - not trying to wear the stable walls and not bunched up and cold backed coming out. He had never been ridden in this saddle previously but other saddles he had not been ridden in either caused a biting reaction when I had showed them to him - I can't believe that horses can sniff a saddle and decide they like it or not - can they?!