Give me a show with an extension , a what now ?

henmother

Visit site
Hello, hope everyone is fit and well and making the most of the summer . We went to our first proper show a couple of weekends ago. Just did ridden cob and ridden trad cob . We only went just to get out and about and I like him to have a variety of experiences when he gets travelled. We weren't entering with any expectations, just for a bit of fun. We ended up with two reds, but one class only had me and another little cob , and the other class , we were the only entrants . So , my question , what is a show with an extension ? It was our first proper show and I didn't want to seem like a prat asking the judge what it meant so just did the usual figure of eight walk , trot , canter. Ive tried googling the extension but come up with nowt . Is an extension literally an extension of the gaits? Judge didn't really say much other that ask me when he was clipped , guessing clipping in show world is a no no . Explained he has to be clipped regularly as he is worked and gets grumpy is he is too sweaty . He did ask if I did dressage with him so I think that was kind of a positive remark ? We probably will stick to pleasure rides, dressage , jumping and xc , showing seems like it could get super intense , and that's not what we enjoy . Although galloping up the side of the arena was fun
Thanks for reading my rambling post.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
'an extension' would normally mean your gallop (ie lengthened/extended strides) which it sounds like you did anyway :)

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Yes extension normally means a gallop along the long side, although you can also show some trot extension when changing the rein on the figure 8. Normally clipping a horse out for showing is a no no which is why a lot of show producers rug their horses up a lot so that the coat wont grow. However for show cob the horse does need to be hogged and have the feathers clipped off.

conniegirl

Visit site
well done! I just do a gallop after my figure of eight along the longside normally at the back of the ring is best.
most judges would prefer the gallop to be where they can see it so in the front of the ring.
pet peeve or a lot of judges is those that gallop behind the line.

Visit site
Yes an extension is a lengthening of the canter/gallop stride. If asked to extend you can either just kick on a bit or go on for the gallop. Some judges will ask you for a proper gallop - usually in a Championship.

My Shetland loves his gallop! But what I find funny in ROR classes is the amount of people who won't even consider extending let alone galloping -they were racehorses! The gallop is their best pace!

I remember at one show the judge asked for a gallop and I heard the parents of the kid on the Welsh B behind me tell them to get closer to me so they could overtake me in the gallop to look good. Pah ha! They had never met a racing Shetland! They never even got near my dust! Silly silly people!

henmother

Visit site
They had the arena sectioned in half , for inhand / ridden , I don't think I'd have felt safe going for gallop in half the arena , eek! Enjoyed it at the end in full arena though for sure .
Oh no , I couldn't rug him to stop his coat growing . It's hard enough in winter when it's a must , thanks to his rug destroying field mate :(
It was just a bit of fun , a day out for us . It was kinda hellish , having to wear tweed with an airjacket , my tweed jacket was wet with sweat , oo lovely , I've no idea how I'm going to get the creases out of it .
Haha EKW , you made me do a lol . My yo has just got two American minis and watching them tear about the field is great fun , bet your Shetland looks fab pelting full belt with mane blowing in the wind :)
Thanks everyone , it's nice to be able to ask a question and not be made to feel like a total chump unlike some other places in the internet world.

conniegirl

Visit site
You only need to gallop along one side not round the whole arena, if space is tight you only have to show a few strides.

If you can, for showing id get rid of the air jacket.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
most judges would prefer the gallop to be where they can see it so in the front of the ring.
pet peeve or a lot of judges is those that gallop behind the line.

I should have worded it better I didn't mean behind the line up although a lot of the shows I have done the line up is to the side or at the back so you don't have to go behind the line up a all, I appreciate most local shows have the line up in the middle so quite often you may need to go behind if there is not much room.

henmother

Visit site
Ah so just a few strides would have done . Thankyou .
As for riding without my airjacket , never going to happen . My spine is held together with rods and screws . Made an agreement with family that I'd never ride without it , put them through hell after an up and over left me an incomplete paraplegic. Out of curiosity , is that something that'd get me marked down ? I'd imagine some would think I ride with airjacket because horse isn't safe / I'm a rubbish rider , but my spine is of more importance than their incorrect opinions.

conniegirl

Visit site
Ah so just a few strides would have done . Thankyou .
As for riding without my airjacket , never going to happen . My spine is held together with rods and screws . Made an agreement with family that I'd never ride without it , put them through hell after an up and over left me an incomplete paraplegic. Out of curiosity , is that something that'd get me marked down ? I'd imagine some would think I ride with airjacket because horse isn't safe / I'm a rubbish rider , but my spine is of more importance than their incorrect opinions.

yes just a few strides would have done, a good gallop can often win a class particularly in hunter type classes, so showing only 4 or 5 strides is much much better than no gallop at all

the potential is that you will be marked down for the airjacket in showing. as you say, people assume dangerous horse if they see them in flat showing, unlike body protectors you cant hide them under a bulky jacket.. It will all depend on the judge though.

Last edited:

henmother

Visit site
If we ever venture into a show again I'll be sure to squeeze some gallop in , and make sure horse knows it's just a short burst and not a , duh duh duuuuh off you go haha.
Shame an airjacket is seen like that , hopefully i don't get the same thoughts when we are out doing dressage . A BP just wouldn't offer the level of protection my spine and spinal cord needs. My family would have my guts for garters if I ever ride without air jacket . Thankyou .

WelshD

Visit site
Judges refer to an extension because in showing the hacks and show ponies do not gallop but will extend their canter instead -hunters, hunter ponies, cobs, M&M etc should gallop

This is further confused in mixed type classes like the coloured horses/ponies where equines are turned out to type and act accordingly so in that class a hunter pony should gallop but a riding pony will not

I guess it's easier and more correct for a judge to ask for an extension as the judge can't cause confusion by accidentally asking for the wrong thing

Last edited: