Giving a broodmare a ridden job? Experiences please, need help

chestnutx

Visit site
I have sold my pony who I backed and brought on myself as he was too small but I've spent half the money buying a new trailer so haven't got a huge budget, I was going to get another youngster but actually the thought of going back to basics again when I've been out competing with the pony I've just sold makes me sigh. So I've been to see a broodmare who hasn't been in work since 2009, but was doing dressage before being a broodmare working nicely at elementary level at home. She is now 14 and lady pulled her out the field and jumped on her bareback, with only a head collar and rider had no hat! Bless her she looked a little shocked to start with but soon relaxed and we even went for Walk down the lane. I jumped up and walked round (with my hat on I'll add) and again she was fine. So I can't really falt her but obviously I have my reservations about her age and being out if work for so long. does anyone have any advice or experiences to help me make up my mind?

Kaylum

Visit site
We backed one our brood mares and she was 14. Just a little shapely but as calm as a lamb as she had been so well handled.

Spring Feather

Visit site
All of our broodmares are broken to ride however their job in life is to be mothers so they are not ridden except for usually twice a year in order for us to get video footage of the foals we offer for sale. Our mares, some are around the same age as this broodmare, are perfectly at ease with going under saddle for these couple of times a year. I've culled some mares from my breeding programme and brought them back into being full time riding horses and they've all taken to it with no issues whatsoever. So, I'd say, if you like the mare then go for it!

Daytona

Visit site
I bought a 10 year old brood mare who had just been backed in October 2013

She was green as grass, here we are now 8/9 months later and she been out to 4 BD shows events, gaining a 5th at her first show and since then in the other 3 has won all the novice open classes (we skipped prelim as she come on so quickly)

She is a amazing wee horse, so correct and willing to please. The most amazing little mare and I feel truely blessed to have found here.

She was 10 years old and had done nothing, and has come on in leaps and bounds so for me I would defo consider a brood mare to start with. She was quite highly strung at first and took about 2/3 months to settle but since then has been adream to own. I do have her on regumate though as she did become a little difficult when seasons started but since going on it back to her normal lovely self.

So my experience is very positive

chestnutx

Visit site
Thank you for the replies, I'm going to go for it! Now to put together a plan of action for getting all the excess weight off and getting her fit!

Daytona

Visit site
Thank you for the replies, I'm going to go for it! Now to put together a plan of action for getting all the excess weight off and getting her fit!

Great stuff , keep us updated with how it goes

Good luck xx

Last edited: