Giving a calmer before trotting up for vet

claracanter

Visit site
Hi,

My boy is off with a tendon injury. He has been on box rest but this week was given the all clear to go out in a pen. Yay! We are having to give him sedation to keep him calm to get him to the pen. Unfortunately it's nearly a 5 min walk from his stable.
The vet is coming to see him trot up on friday. Obviously I can't give him any sedation for this. The last two occasions the vet saw him trot up he was so excited he jumped about and we had to give up for fear of further damage. I really want the vet to assess him properly this time. I have tried different bridle/headcollar/ chiffney/ be nice combinations but he just gets so excited the minute he's asked to trot. I have never given him a calmer before. Do you think a calmer might take the edge of him so he can trot sensibly? I really want the vet to be able to assess properly.

Equi

Visit site
I would firstly ask the vet what time they can come. They should be less active in the late evening. But if you think he would still be that way ask the vet about sedation. They may not assess him with it, and if you use it they may give a false reading of his movement.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
After two months in a box I gave my boy sedation but he still fell over [on the grass], due to his prancing about then lack of his natural speed of response.
I would get him to the pen then book the vet to trot up.
There must be a reason behind it the idea he needs a trot up this week, but how are you going to manage him differently if sound / not sound. Why not just get him back to some minor level of fitness then do a full work up, just trotting up is not going to tell you much if he is sound, and if he is obviously having leg problems, more time will be required anyway.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Why can't the vet give some sedation? The don't have to have a large dose, just a little short acting stuff. I had that when my mare needed trotting up from box rest, worked a treat - proper trot up minus acrobatics!!!

claracanter

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Differences of opinion on whether sedation would effect his soundness.

Equi: the vet is coming in the morning

Bonkers2: the vet wants him trotted up to see if I can start gentle exercise.

Ihatework: I thought the sedation might mask any lameness but if you have used it for a trot up, I will ask the vet

Eq

Michen

Visit site
Maybe try sticking him on a valerian based calmer and increasing dose the day of and day before. Valerian is proven to work and subsequently banned for competition

9tails

Visit site
Agree with Michen on valerian. My mare had the tiniest dose of domosedan for dental and she was knocked for six, she wouldn't have been able to navigate out of her stable let alone trot about. The pansy.

AllTheBees

Visit site
Another vote for valerian based calmer... or you could try an Instant Magic an hour before vet due. Works a treat on mine stressy, very excitable boy.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Valerian works really well with many horses there's a good reason it's not competition legal .
I don't think magnesium based calmers will work well in your situation .