Giving horses away

Missadelaide

Visit site
Hi

I wondered if anybody knew of any charities/organisations that take unwanted animals?
We have a lovely pony who is 2 years old and nobody is interested in him due to his age.
I would like to find him a good permanent home and gift him to somebody but where would be the right place to do this?

windand rain

Visit site
The horse charities are full but you could try to get one to organise a foster home for him so they are responsible for his care and any future loans

Baileybones

Visit site
What about approaching a riding school? If he's a nice sort they might be prepared to pop him in a field for a few years until he is ready to be started. Ideally it needs to be someone like this who isn't going to be paying livery for something that isn't currently earning its keep.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Have you advertised the pony? Try that, and just don't put a price in - say "price negotiable" or something so you don't attract the wrong types just wanting a freebie. Then you can have a good chat with them on the phone and meet them, really work out what they're like before selling/giving to them

putasocinit

Visit site
what type of pony is he, would he grow up to be big enough to be led out on a hack approx 3-5 miles daily, so not mini shettie type - too far for little legs, but also small enough to not cost a fortune in feed etc. Might be interested.

Sparkles

Visit site
Could possibly be interested depending on type, if nice natured enough to be a fiel buddy to baby coblet. His field buddy is going shortly and currently is sporting a knocked out tooth from being beaten up yet again...bottom of the pecking order doesn't quite cover it! :(

FfionWinnie

Visit site
what type of pony is he, would he grow up to be big enough to be led out on a hack approx 3-5 miles daily, so not mini shettie type - too far for little legs, but also small enough to not cost a fortune in feed etc. Might be interested.

My mini is doing 6+ miles a day without breaking a sweat, ride and lead!

putasocinit

Visit site
Thats with a rider on, mine digs his heels in, see other post i want your lil girl to train him for me, lol. Yes i know in the wild he would cover more than 10miles a day easy, but next to cobby who is doing his best to walk as slow as possible, shettie gets the shets in.