Giving rugs to charity ?

eekmon

A friend of mine has recently had her pony pts

She has 2 really nice newish stable rugs & 2 turnouts all nice condition. If she has them washed & re proofed is there anywhere that would take them for charity?
Either that or she will have wash ect sell & give the money to a good cause.

luckilotti

I would suggest that a smaller charity would be ideal as i know that one of the larger ones near me just sells off any items they get donated, for next to nothing, ie - canvas turnouts are £3 and any other turnout rug is only £5! IMO, smaller charities who actually use them would benefit much more.
Sorry to hear about your friends pony

wonkey_donkey

I had a load of rugs that I offered to give to the ILPH however they said they could only accept them if I had them professionally cleaned and they were still in the bags after washing !!

I sold them on ebay instead.

eekmon

I think she would quite happily wash / re proof them. Its a hassle to sell on e bay so think she wants just to give to some one less fortunate than herself/charity . Said I would ask on here for her. They are 5ft 3 ( i think )

ISHmad

What a lovely thing for your friend to do after her sad loss. Some of the smaller sanctuaries would definitely be delighted to receive them I would have thought. Lots are struggling, especially with donations being down due to the credit crunch.

eekmon

Thanks for that, will go and check out some of the more local ones, don't really think sending to a big one & them flogging them off cheap would be a good thing for her to do
Just wanted to know if they would take rugs as a donation .

NeilM

We had a whole load of rugs and other assorted tack; head collards lead ropes etc. I offered them to ILPH, who never got back to me and so I took them to Horse World in Bristol. They were delighted to have the donation.