Giving up comps?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
When did you realise it was time to hang up your boots?
I've been lucky enough to have transport for the last 40 years. First with my parents then my own. So I've competed at various things all that time. Hunted, teamchased, ODE, sj, showing, dressage etc. I'm now not as keen to go out. I'm finding if I book a pole clinic I look forward to it, whereas if I book a dressage comp I'm wishing I hadn't when it gets nearer the time. I've competed for that long it feels strange not to but I don't enjoy it now like I did. I would carry on with lessons and the varclinics we are lucky to have in easy reach, just not compete. When did you know it was time?

Bernster

Visit site
I spend a lot more time doing training and clinics and mostly just for the fun of it rather than to train for a comp. Less stressful and I can wear more comfortable clothes! But I do still enjoy getting out to a comp, and would like to do it more regularly. Non horsey life seems to get in the way a lot of the time! But there’s a lot to be gained from horsey life without the comps as long as it keeps you happy!

humblepie

Visit site
I stopped doing BD last year and just concentrate on showing which I prefer. Think I did more stay aways last year than ever but really just choose nice shows to go to and did some I hadn't ever done before. I did just one clinic at the start of the year as cut down on the number of outings the horse had to ensure he stayed fresh - that may sound contrary to the more stay away shows though!

Titchy Pony

Visit site
I not sure you have to make any "drastic" decisions. If you're not enjoying competitions, just don't go to them. If you suddenly fancy doing a competition because it's a nice venue / it's really local / you've got friends going, then just go. If you're enjoying clinics and lessons and other outings, then do what you enjoy. I'm pretty sure there's no rule saying you've got to compete regularly or not at all, so do what you feel like at the time and have fun.

DonskiWA

Visit site
Yes I’m in a similar boat. Once upon a time I’d enter everything and anything. Then lockdown happened and I discovered riding just for the sake of riding. I’m still passionate about improving and learning, but over ‘competing‘ as such. Early mornings, plaiting, packing, keeping an eye on times etc. It’s all just too hard and draining now. The fun has gone.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I went our competing on Sunday. We did a crap test, mainly due to me. I really wasn't bothered. At one point I would have come home and worked on it or been a bit miffed with not so good test but in all honesty I enjoyed meeting up with friends and just the trip out, not the competing.

catkin

Visit site
Was doing less and less before lockdown, but I have been kicking around horses for many years so have done allsorts over the years as our various horses have all enjoyed different activities. I do not need to have competitive results for either earning a living or for personal validation so we have pretty much always had the mindset of doing as we darn well please........

One thing I am really enjoying is lessons where we don't need to spend time on 'papering over the cracks' because there's some competition next Saturday, we go at our own pace and have fun.
Also pony can wear what tack he likes.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I did a couple of things with my young one before COVID but have no desire now. I've had a lesson or two at own yard and if there was the right clinic somewhere I might go but don't feel like forking out money for a few minutes of being judged ( and found wanting 🤣)
I won all the things I really wanted to 30 years ago when I was much more competitive.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I gave up when I realised that I just found it all so stressful - getting the horse and me ready, all the time involved, the warmup, the stress of actually competing etc. Yes I would always be happy I'd done it (well, bar a few occasions!) but I realised that I wasn't really enjoying myself. Far happier pottering around at home. I still want to be a good rider with well-looked after horses, but competing isn't particularly relevant to either of those things.

So if you fancy competing, do it! If you don't, don't. It's not complicated in reality.

J&S

Visit site
I only gave up when the horse/s I had at my disposal were no longer able to do so. Soon after that circumstances changed rather drastically and so I can't any way, also now too old and cronky.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Competing is a privilege and if you no longer want to do it then it’s a very expensive way to no longer have fun. I love competing still and it’s my drive with horses, making the plans, testing my training etc

marmalade76

Visit site
What stopped me initially was lame/ill horses, unsuitable horses, loss of confidence, now it's too late. I do the odd fun ride and if there was a mini hunter trial or an old fashioned style horse show with showing classes, clear round and a gymkhana nearby I might take my pony at some point but other than that, I've retired.

Going out competing is hard physical work, it's exhausting, stressful and now costs a fortune to boot, easy to give up, really.