Giving up too soon?

Terminator

Visit site
I think I know the answer but feeling rather alone just now. My 18yo cob has been with me for 7 years and is my first horse and a complete star. However, in the time I have owned him he has been diagnosed and managed for the following: bone spavin in both hocks, sweet itch, mild kissing spine in L14-17, low ringbone in both fronts and surgery on his tendon sheath/annular ligament on left fore. My insurance exemptions eventually dictated that I pay for vet treatment myself as of two years ago and I have since spent over £5k trying to manage these issues/investigate further ones! In the past four years he has only been consistently sound to lightly hack/school for six months. I recently had his coffin joints injected with steroids and HA and he was much improved for two weeks but now is back to tripping in front, rushing and holding tension in his neck when ridden. He is fine in the field (apart from permanent sweet itch rug and grazing muzzle for weight management) but retiring him at my livery yard (and I would not consider sending him elsewhere) would still entail regular medication for arthritis management. I feel it may be time to call it a day but wonder what others might do in this situation.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t think anyone could accuse you of not doing enough! I think you should do what feels right for you. Write a list if that helps, with pros and cons of keeping him and the alternative. I don’t think pts is ever the wrong decision If it saves them from suffering or pain and prevents them being passed from pillar to post. X

Goldenstar

Visit site
If it where me I would PTS , but it’s not me it you and nobody else .
People can be very odd imo about others decisions in this area .
You just do what you think is right and ignore anybody else .

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It has to be up to you. I have an elderly pony who is retired and happy enough in the field and I'm finding it hard to decide how long to keep him. I keep saying I'm going to have him PTS as he is costing me a fair bit on Prascend but when I see him and he comes up to me nickering I can't bring myself to make the decision.

paddi22

Visit site
I would (and have) pts. I couldn't face seeing a very arthritic horse struggling through the weather we have been having. I will retire them to field if they are happy and sound, but if they need any long term treatments or their arthritis would progress then i'd pts

SEL

Visit site
I think the difficulty is every horse manages arthritis differently. Militaire is completely happy in the field with the odd sachet of danilon, and I'm more than happy to maintain him like this. My other horse, however, needs to be in work to remain sane so is a much tougher call.

It also comes down to money. I can afford to keep a retired pet and give him what he needs, but I would never criticise someone who can't take that route. It's always a tough call.