Giving up?

acwd

New User
Visit site
Two years ago I got a beautiful 7yo Connemara mare. She was too much for me so we cracked on with training.
We soon realised that she was much greener than we originally thought and had absolutely zero confidence jumping.
Two years later it feels like barely anything has changed, I feel like i have three ponies sometimes. Sometimes she is so lazy and needs all the leg you have and others she is spooky, flighty and scared of everything. Somedays she will just plant her feet and refuse to move unless you turn home. When you don’t oblige she will through a bucking fit. Sometimes she just feels like she genuinely hates being ridden or jumped. Others she will trot out of the yard excited for a hack. She’s had everything checked, back, teeth, saddle, she’s even been on schooling livery to which they said that she was just a highly strung mare. That sad thing is that she’s not even to much for me anymore - I can sit her bucks and pull her up when she blindly charges around the arena for no reason. But i feel that both me and her are not enjoying it. Having said that this is obviously being written after a horrible hack and some days i feel like we are really getting somewhere. But where do we go from here? do i persevere?
I havent ever posted on here before but have observed enough to be nervous about posting; so please try to keep comments respectful. Any advice would be welcomed :).

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
You may not want to hear this, but I think horses that demonstrate that they don't want to be ridden are almost always in pain. And the fact that your checks have found nothing, just mean you don't know there the pain is. We had a Connie mare who sounds like yours. She could be amazing one day and plant the next. Loads of people told us it was attitude or behaviour. It wasn't. It never is really I don't think

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Xposted with Pinkvboots. I'll add that my daughter's pony started rearing and we were told it was behavioural. He had a sacro-iliac injury. The mare in my avatar chucked me off after a jump and went to a pro while I recovered whosaid she was just wilful. She decked me again when I got her home and I went down the vet route. She had navicular and landing after jumps hurt her. The back/tack checks we do can rule IN pain, but can't rule OUT pain.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
agree, you need to have a full workout done by your vet including testing for ulcers and have the saddle checked by a different saddler to make absolutely sure its not pinching.. if all of that seems ok ,take her back to basics with a good instructor who can pinpoint any triggers for the behaviour, you may be sitting crooked or be unbalanced in the saddle which may be why some days she plays up....hope you can find the answer..

Highflinger

Visit site
Have you looked into PSSM. I have no personal experience but from what I understand much of her behaviour sounds a possibility. I think there are two types type 1 & type 2. I think type one is easy and cheap to test for from a hair sample. There are a couple of FB groups that give a lot of info.
Good luck and I hope you find some answers.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Another thing to look at his her diet. I had a TBxWelsh mare whose behaviour changed from day to day, that turned out to be reactions to food - starch and refined sugars, in particular. If she eats anything other than grass/hay, I would cut her diet back to grass-based feeds and monitor.

That sounds very much like PSSM, esp considering the welsh part. Its rife in welshies sadly

Old school

Visit site
Not sure if this helps,....I might have her twin!! Very highly strung, easily stressed, easily distracted Connie blood type mare. We have had months of 'God, what is wrong'. Canter was wall of death, jumping was flat to the mat, sideways stuff when schooling, jig jogged all the way home from hacking, but equally could stop dead and be hard to move off again. Hard to get condition on. To be honest she was a PITA. Now we have progressed to a very enjoyable hack last Thur. Progressing well in flat work. Does not need to be ridden every day, but defo needs 5 out 7 days. Early Sept we did WEC, high result and treated with Pramox (vets instructions). She was wormed quarterly but never a WEC. Followed with 3 weeks of peptizole. No scope, but it was on my mind for a while that ulcers could be the issue. What put me off was the expense. On a fairly rigid routine. Break fast, ridden late morn, out to grass, in fairly late in eve 8ish. Fed alfalfa chop, low protein cubes and a product that keeps her tummy right twice daily. As much hay as she can eat. Previously she was a poor eater. Now there is never anything left or wasted. So, my experience has been to get her tummy right and now to maintain that healthy tummy. Off to a hunter trial tomorrow. Hopefully it will be enjoyable. Btw, I have her 18 months. So similar time frame. Will do another WEC end Oct to see where things are at. I obviously cannot say the ulcer treatment will solve your issue, but your horses behaviour read as familiar.

Marigold4

Visit site
I've just posted a similar thread about retiring my young horse - so I know how you feel! My horse behaves well but is clearly unhappy when ridden. Looks in peak health. Lots of checks done. I'm going to scope and also feed as if he has PSSM in case that changes things. Good luck with yours - I hope you get to the bottom of it.