Glasses and competiting?

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well apparently I am officially no longer 20:20 and whilst thinking about lasering my eyes, I am dealing with the glasses thing which is all new to me.

Do you get special sports ones for competing, or just use you everyday pair?

Any tips on coatings you need for using them outside all the time??

Will be interesting to see if this improves performance, as I only went in as discovered I had to aim far to the left of every target whilst attemting horseback archery

OldGit

Visit site
Well apparently I am officially no longer 20:20 and whilst thinking about lasering my eyes, I am dealing with the glasses thing which is all new to me.

Do you get special sports ones for competing, or just use you everyday pair?

Any tips on coatings you need for using them outside all the time??

Will be interesting to see if this improves performance, as I only went in as discovered I had to aim far to the left of every target whilst attemting horseback archery

i have a pair of sports glasses from spec savers, like swimming goggles, suggest you use the demist sachets (xtra) i think mine were about £70, and no more eye watering when galloping

rara007

Visit site
I have notmal glasses and wear them for everything- no other options and certainly can't get away with none! As I wear them near enough 24/7 I really don't notice, don't like the sports ones as they feel wrong :eek: :)

dressage_diva

Visit site
I've also worn glasses 24/7 since my late teens, but I really hate riding in them I'm afraid (they just sit uncomfortably with my hat, which is odd as I'm happy to wear plastic sports sunglasses when I'm riding!). I generally don't like wearing my glasses to do any sport other than running (I do a lot of rowing/sculling and never wear them for that either).

I've pretty much always worn daily disposable contacts for when I'm riding and (touch wood) have never had any problems. My opticians recommended I got the 'aqua' style ones as they're more moist which is useful if you're riding in dusty environments (or even grooming a grubby horse!) and I honestly don't notice I've got them in. They give me perfect vision and I don't have to worry about my glasses fogging up if it's cold or raining!

If I had to wear glasses for riding/competing I'd definitely speak to my optician about getting some plastic sports glasses, as I know just when I'm around the yard with my horse and not riding, it's very easy for them to get knocked and I'd hate to think what could happen if I fell off riding and the glass broke or something.

For coatings, I personally really like the anti-reflective coating and I'd imagine this could be really useful if you were hacking a lot in the sunshine (or even jumping in the school!).

kerilli

Visit site
contact lenses are just fantastic, I couldn't manage without them. otherwise, ultralight plastic-lenses glasses are fine but i much prefer contacts, there isn't that barrier between you and the world (hard to explain but if you're new to wearing glasses you might know what i mean!)

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I first needed glasses when I was about 21 and I did try riding and competing in them - could manage outside on a good day with no rain but were a nightmare indoor SJ on a sweaty horse!! They just steamed up and I couldn't see a thing :eek:

So I quickly switched to contacts and have used them ever since. Touch wodd have never had a problem.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Contacts always for competing, wear everyday glasses for hacking etc. only had one pair broken in 25 years of glasses and horses - I've been blind for a long time :D

Eta if you have different strength contacts, don't confuse them, I had one incredibly weird day out doing BS with them inthe wrong eyes, couldn't focus and related distances were a nightmare, I thought it was just the hangover :eek: :D

Leg_end

Visit site
I wouldn't wear my glasses when riding, I'm too paranoid! I'm short sighted (-1.25 &-1.75 so not too blind) and I wear contacts for my lessons (or any occasion when I need to read the letters!!), jumping and competing. I happily hack out without my glasses on.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Oh dear - around 10 years ago I bought coloured contact lenses for a laugh, but I couldn't get them in my eyes as I am don't like touching my own eyes!!

The other thing is I am slightly allergic to horses, hay and grass. So I tend to rub my eyes a lot

This is not looking good ! Anyone had their eyes lasered?

dressage_diva

Visit site
Thats nowt, -8.50 in both eyes for contacts and for some reason I don't unders stand -10.75 in glasses.
Its contacts all the way for me. SO much more convenient and never get smeared/misted up.

Think your contact lenses are usually weaker than your glasses, because being so close to the eye, you don't need them as strong (all to do with focal lengths and stuff I think). I'm sure that's what the optician told me as my contacts are weaker than my glasses too.

dressage_diva

Visit site
Oh dear - around 10 years ago I bought coloured contact lenses for a laugh, but I couldn't get them in my eyes as I am don't like touching my own eyes!!
Honestly, you get used to doing it really quickly and it becomes second nature. I know of people who hated doing it at first who think nothing of it now, so don't be too quick to dismiss them. Why not go and see your optician and get them to chat through it all with you and see if you can do it with their help?

The other thing is I am slightly allergic to horses, hay and grass. So I tend to rub my eyes a lot

I'm allergic too, but find my eyes are not too bad at all with contact lenses in as long as I take antihistamines - I almost never rub my eyes, and you'd be suprised how contact lenses do stay put even if you rub your closed eyes slightly. Suprisingly, I also find I can cut up onions with my lenses in without crying, but if I'm wearing my glasses I'm in tears!

scheherazade

Visit site
one of the problems I have found with glasses is that as you get hot (for that read sweaty!) they are more prone to slipping down your nose a little and the only solution is either to adopt the most ridiculous head carriage (think neck right back peering down your nose) or be constantly shoving them back up your nose just so you can see where you are going.

And then there was the time I ran out of contacts and tied my glasses on with baler twine round the back of my head - truly a special look.....

applecart14

Visit site

Was thinking about getting my eyes lasered but then watched what they do on YouTube and decided against it. Believe it can, in some instances, make your sight worse.

I wear glasses for driving and have often wondered if I could wear them for SJ. Might try this weekend :)

Archiepoo

Visit site
i wear glasses for all riding -only ever broken 1 pair, cant wear contacts anymore as abused them when i was young and they just feel like glass shards in my eyes :eek::eek: so i looked into lasering my eyes but the thing that put me off is no contact with horses for 6 weeks!!! so havnt had it done:rolleyes:

applecart14

Visit site
Glasses are plastic anyway aren't they so I don't think there is any danger of shards going in your eyes. I would really like to see what a show jumping course looks like with glasses on, think I may give it a go later at home and see how i get on.

humblepie

Visit site
Haven't read all the answers but I have worn glasses for years, blind as the proverbial bat without them. Have plastic lenses. Always wore glasses when I show jumped but now wear contact lenses when I compete purely from a vanity point of view. I have an odd prescription and wearing contact lenses all the time isn't particularly an option and I must admit I can't be bothered.

Only problems have ever had with a glasses lense falling out when jumping (which I caught and carried on!!!) and losing a contact lense in a flat class so no problem.

Do have a friend who has had a couple of falls recently and had the side of her glasses cut her face.

michelleyork

Visit site
I had my eyes lasered over 2 years ago now, it just wish I had had it done years ago!

Alot of it depends on the company you go with, the OH had his done for the 2nd time at laser place A and they were not the best when it came to customer service or aftercare. OH also suffered quite a bit with pain, as it was the 2nd time he had been through laser eye treatment and the 2nd time they had to completely remove the flat over his eye :0 instead of the procedure i had which lasered a very very small flap and then treated the eye.

Place B, were lovely very friendly put me completely at ease when I was there with absolutely no pressure to agree to the procedure. Went it at 3pm in the afternoon on the day of procedure and then by 8pm that evening my vision was soooo much better and then by 9am the next day I was driving standard and it just got better and better over next few days. My eyes were quite bad before with -6.5 in one eye and -5.75 in the other!

I was really worried about the aspect of it could make your eye sight worse, but once they explained to me about the technology of the laser and how it shuts down if required and how quickly that can happen etc I decided to go for it.

It was not painful in the slightest, a bit uncomfortable. I took a couple of paracetamol when I came out, wore sunglasses for an hour or so and then went to bed and slept for a few hours and that was the extent of recovery! My eyes were quite sensitive to sunlight for a couple of weeks, so I just wore sunglasses when outside and the little red dots around your eye is not overly attractive but wear off pretty quick.

Any questions about laser eye treatment please ask! Also if you want to know the names of places A and B pm me and I will send over, dont want to get told off for marketing;)

Avonbrook

www.avonbrookstud.co.uk
Eta if you have different strength contacts, don't confuse them, I had one incredibly weird day out doing BS with them inthe wrong eyes, couldn't focus and related distances were a nightmare, I thought it was just the hangover :eek: :D

Thankyou, that gave me a proper laugh on a long day! I could see that being me...

Just at the stage of deciding that I deffo need a longer cord on my map-holder (endurance) and teaching the horse to spot markers :rolleyes:

Rambo

Visit site
Contacts all the way.....daily disposables and you won't even feel them. I do ride in glasses occasionally but tbh they are a pain. Steam up, dust up, slip down your nose....generally just a pain.

Wiz

Visit site

Your optician should spend as much time as is needed teaching you to be able to take them in and out. (I'm an optician!) Sometimes people do take a few visits to achieve that others take just a few minutes but if you want to do it you will achieve it and the right people will spend the time to make sure you do. If you have some allergies as long as your prescription is suitable daily disposable lenses will be ideal and you'll be amased how comfortable they can be.

The laser companies should advise you to try this first and the better ones will make sure you have before they'll consider treating you. Also I don't know how old you are but if this is your first time needing glasses bear in mind your eyes could still change so you need a stable prescription before its advisable to consider laser

With my riders hat on - always used to wear glasses but since had contacts don't really like my specs to ride but they don't really get in the way either and just use my ordinary ones though good idea to have a spare pair in case they get bashed!

PrillyD

Visit site
I had mine lasered on april 6th at 3pm and by 10pm had perfect vision. Iwas out xc 2 weeks later and have never regretted it :)

blood_magik

Visit site
laser surgery, definately.
never used to wear my
glasses when I rode. eventually I got contacts but they weren't suited to being worn for 14 hours plus.
I had my eyes lasered 18 months ago and I'm glad I did it.
i had perfect vision the next day although I wasn't allowed to ride for 2 weeks after.