Glaucoma (or eye abscess??) experiences please

soloequestrian

Visit site
Horse has had slightly swollen eyelids for a while now - very variable so some days virtually no swelling, other days noticeable swelling with redness of the normally white tissues. These have been the only symptoms - no blinking, rubbing, abnormal discharge, obvious pain or behaviour changes. The vet looked at him today and thinks it is probably glaucoma - prescribed Danilon and an eye ointment. Another vet who hasn't seen the horse suggested that the swelling could be caused by an abscess behind the eye. This seems unlikely to me - I think that would be very painful and presumably would be secondary to some sort of injury which there hasn't been. I haven't spoken directly to either vet since this suggestion was made but will probably call in at the surgery tomorrow. Interested in experiences and opinions of either in the meantime!

be positive

Visit site
I think I would want a proper diagnosis, it is not an area I have much experience in but looking up glaucoma it is a serious condition and I would want it verified/ diagnosed asap, the other vet, who has not seen him may be thinking of squamous cell carcinoma which is also serious and may require a different treatment plan, I have had one with that and it did not end well despite being picked up quickly it grew so rapidly he was pts as I knew he would not cope well with an operation to remove the eye which was really the only way forward.
If the horse was mine I would want an experienced equine vet out tomorrow to give a firm diagnosis, eyes can deteriorate rapidly and getting the correct treatment at any early stage is very important.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I'm assuming that the lack of other replies means that this is quite a rare thing - typical of one of my horses.... The eye is looking better with just the Danilon treatment. It would be great to hear from anyone who has managed a horse with glaucoma.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a horse with an eye ulcer which we thought had been caused by poking herself in the eye with a nettle or similar in the field. I got thee vet out as soon as I noticed the swelling and watery eye. I cannot imagine waiting 7 weeks to ask a vet opinion on an eye problem. My horse had a very strong painkiller, whose name I forget, for a few days, along with eye-drops but I was warned that ulcers don't always respond well.