Global herbs super calm - opinions please

Tayto

Visit site
A lot of people would look at my horse and think I was mad to think about giving her a calmer as she is quite a placid beastie - most of the time.

HOWEVER - hacking is an issue for us. She is great in company and if my partner walks on foot but when we are on out own she is really nappy and nervous. I have tried pushing her on, making her do lots of transitions, lateral work etc to keep her mind active but she just won't relax. I don't think I am particularly nervous as I am so focused on getting her going forward.

She also has issues when other horses pass us in the woods, I just ride her forward but she gets really wound up and starts blowing and snorting!

I am fed up having to rely on other people to get a nice hack and just want to power on myself so wondered about giving her something to relax her a bit - someone recommended global herbs supercalm as they had good results with a nervous, nappy hacker.

Generally she is quite a chilled out horse but totally changes when we hack alone :(

Just wanted some more opinions on it and also if anyone has used something else with good results?

WandaMare

Visit site
I tried it with my mare and had good results. She sounds v similar to yours and I used it for the same reason. I haven't used it for a long while now as she's been fine but with the spring grass and more horses out hacking I might well buy some more. Its not overly expensive so I would say no harm in giving it a go.

Kitei

Visit site
I use it for Bramble and have had amazing results. He is a stressy horse in general, though.

However, it was recommended to me by my friend, whose horse was exactly like you've described your mare as. She says it did wonders for hacking him alone.

express_75

Visit site
Horse First Relax Me worked a treat with my spooky / nappy Welsh D - goes out without a problem now, still the odd spook but i feel he can concentrate more now. Id say it is one calmer that does work

charlie_george

Visit site
I tried super calm last summer and it made my pony worse, I then tried Mag Ox off ebay, much cheaper and worked a treat, I really didn't believe he had a magnesium deficiency, but I must have been wrong, he's on it again now this spring. Well worth a try x

Tayto

Visit site
eeek - just goes to show, every horse is different. What will work for one won't work for another. I tried my mare on agnus castus to help her be less hormonal when in season and it made her crazy! Thanks for the replies so far - its helpful!