Glucosamine & GLM - is there a gd supps comparison chart?

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I'm spending a fortune on Synequin for Glucosamine and Nupafeed Flex GLM for Green Lipped Mussel (my welshie has arthritis). I'd ideally prefer to feed just the one or two cheaper supplements that cover both - but crucially at similarly high levels to what I feed now - 5g/day of glucosamine and 7g/day of high quality GLM. Does anyone know of a reliable and up to date chart that compares all the supplement brands please?

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I'm not overly great on this subject but I know that 6000/10.000 mg is the amount a horse needs a day to work , so is there a chance your paying over the top to provide more glucosamine then needed? Just a thought

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I'm not overly great on this subject but I know that 6000/10.000 mg is the amount a horse needs a day to work , so is there a chance your paying over the top to provide more glucosamine then needed? Just a thought

Good point - but my vet originally said due to his dodgy joints he needed as much glucosamine as was in synequin and only one other at the time he was diagnosed a few years ago so I'm basing my calculations on that.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I just would question the fact that more would work better. 10.000mg is proven to be the current dose a day needed for working horses, less for others. So does adding far more work better? I'm not sure it would tbh.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
My god iv just looked the product up, no wonder you want a cheaper option!!
Its like vitamins etc, if you feed more the horses system needs it just passes though and you get expensive poo.
Going to watch this thread with interest

Supertrooper

Visit site
I'm spending a fortune on Synequin for Glucosamine and Nupafeed Flex GLM for Green Lipped Mussel (my welshie has arthritis). I'd ideally prefer to feed just the one or two cheaper supplements that cover both - but crucially at similarly high levels to what I feed now - 5g/day of glucosamine and 7g/day of high quality GLM. Does anyone know of a reliable and up to date chart that compares all the supplement brands please?

Have a look at Yumove equine xx

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I've just read up, and from what I can see, synequine contains 5000mg in a 10g dose not 5g. Please do check this op but if that's right, its very low

thatsmygirl

Visit site
according to google, 5000mg = 5g :)

In which case its a low amount.

Synequine per 10g dose
Glucosamine 5000mg
Chondroitin 2000mg

Equimins flexijoint at a fraction off the price per 20g dose( all break down per dose on their website) far cheaper then the above product even feeding double the amount
Glucosamine 8126mg
Chondroitin 4000mg

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I remember Aviform suppleaze gold was quite good value, you have to feed at the loading dose to get the recommended level of the key ingredients but it still worked out good value.

For the GLM look at Maxavita, if you sign up to their newsletter, they regularly do deals and bogofs on their Permamax GLM product

only_me

Visit site
Arthriaid:
Per 20gm (one serving once a day for 500kg horse)
Glucosamine HCL 10gm
Chondroitin Sulphate 100mg
MSM 2000mg
Vitamin C 700mg
Manganese Sulphate 100mg
Sodium Hyaluronate (HA) 5mg

I've started to feed it and seems pretty good value for money :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Maxiflex gives 30 g of glm, £29.85 for months supply

That seems quite a lot of glm, according to the nupafeed website, their product gives 7g in a standard measure. Just checked on a maxaflex tub, this translates to 10g of GLM

What I was thinking was if the OP wanted to just add the GLM to joint supplement as they are currently doing, then the straight pernamax tablets would be a possibility. The daily dose of maxaflex is a little low on glucosamine at 6000mg

ETA I feed maxaflex as it seems to work best on my horse even if it is low on glucosamine after trying lots . I stock up when I find them on clearance at half price.

Last edited:

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Arthriaid:
Per 20gm (one serving once a day for 500kg horse)
Glucosamine HCL 10gm
Chondroitin Sulphate 100mg
MSM 2000mg
Vitamin C 700mg
Manganese Sulphate 100mg
Sodium Hyaluronate (HA) 5mg

I've started to feed it and seems pretty good value for money :)

Worth looking at the equimins flexijoint, far better spec

SO1

Visit site
You can buy human grade glucosamine 99% pure on ebay for £20 which would work at 10p per day at 5g a day not sure how this would compare with Synequin though Synequin is not just glucosamine. GLM powder seems to be twice as expensive though. If you only need glucosamine and GLM then it appears you could make your own supplement for 37p per day by buying both products in powder form from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-pure-...755349?hash=item3f5b3e64d5:g:XJIAAOSw-W5Uy5bD

only_me

Visit site
Worth looking at the equimins flexijoint, far better spec

Are the better specs in each dose though? I've seen some supplements where you have to feed twice what the brand recommended to get working levels of glucosamine/chondriton, which makes it work out more expensive.

HuntingfieldHoney

Visit site
Cor Synequin is expensive! I have in the past used Riaflex, just had a look on the website and there is a comparison chart to other joint supplements. I may try it again when I run out of turmeric...