Glucosamine use

sehalsey

New User
Visit site
For my college dissertation I have decided to write about the use and benefits of Glucosamine in the horse. If you currently feed your horse a Glucosamine supplement please could you take a moment to complete my questionnaire.

How old is your horse:
What symptoms did s/he display:
What brand have you bought:
How long have you been using:
How long before you saw any change:

I really appreciate this and if anyone has any further information on this subject I would be really grateful.

Sarah

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
How old is your horse: 15

What symptoms did s/he display: stiffness behind and eventually lameness. Vet x-rayed and found spavins in both hocks

What brand have you bought: Fortuis UK JointFX

How long have you been using: About 14 months

How long before you saw any change: Can't say as horse had his joints medicated and Adequan (injectable glucosamine course) at the same time as starting the joint supplement. The changes I've seen are probably down to the joint meds more than anything else. The only way to tell would be to take him off the joint supplement and see if he gets worse, which I'm not willing to do.

jenz87

Visit site
How old is your horse:13
What symptoms did s/he display:stiffness in back legs
What brand have you bought:equine america
How long have you been using: 1 month
How long before you saw any change: too early really

ct1

Visit site
1- 14
2.- stiffness in her hocks
3.- Cortaflex
4.- 5 months
5. -dont really know if it is helping as she had the injections following xrays.
Could look with ther dissertaion

horse4lee

Visit site
How old is your horse: she is now 7

What symptoms did s/he display: She developed OCD in her hocks and stifles abd was operated on. She was prescribed glucosamine for anti-inlfammatory effect and cartillage repair.

What brand have you bought:Newmarket Supplement.

How long have you been using: 2 years

How long before you saw any change:Not really looking for a change, more of a maintenance of good joint bone and cartillage

Hope that helps :)

cptrayes

Visit site
For my college dissertation I have decided to write about the use and benefits of Glucosamine in the horse. If you currently feed your horse a Glucosamine supplement please could you take a moment to complete my questionnaire.

How old is your horse:
What symptoms did s/he display:
What brand have you bought:
How long have you been using:
How long before you saw any change:

I really appreciate this and if anyone has any further information on this subject I would be really grateful.

Sarah

My horse is 8

He has bony lumps of VERY significant size at the site of bone spavins.

I bought HealthyDirect human glucosamine which I use myself to great effect and fed the correct amount for a horse.

I've been using it 2 years

I never saw any change as he was never lame in spite of heat and bone formation. I have recently stopped using it because I saw the results of human research that said it does not work (though it works for me!) and again there has been no change from taking him off it.

Hope that helps!

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
How old is your horse: 15
What symptoms did s/he display: unable to back up, resting hind leg = hock arthritis
What brand have you bought: Riaflex
How long have you been using: 2 months
How long before you saw any change: my horse had hyonate injections and was then put on synequin later changed to riaflex afterwards. However we stopped the riaflex for a while and noticed he went down hill, once back on it for 2 weeks he improved.

Perissa

Visit site
How old is your horse: 10

What symptoms did s/he display: None - the vet recommended that I fed it to him following invasive joint surgery 4 years ago.

What brand have you bought: Newmarket Joint Supplement

How long have you been using: 4 years

How long before you saw any change: None as I have fed it constantly since the surgery. If my vet says to feed it to him I follow his advice.

AshTay

Visit site
How old is your horse: 22
What symptoms did s/he display: stiffness behind
What brand have you bought: cosequin
How long have you been using:used it for about 2-3 months
How long before you saw any change: not sure but probably 3 weeks to a month (although this coincided with change from summer to autumn when he does tend to perk up a bit), hacks became a lot more "white-knuckle" and he was more lively in the field and the upshot of all this was that he then trashed a tendon while galloping across his field like a loon.

Spinal Tap

Visit site
How old is your horse: 8
What symptoms did s/he display:None but her conformation is far from perfect & she would be a candidate for joint problems
What brand have you bought: Equiflex
How long have you been using:4 years
How long before you saw any change:not applicable - I use it prophylactically on the advice of a chiro. I have a dodgy knee & it has helped me, I also have an arthritic old dog and it's helped him, so I'm a firm believer that it's good stuff

star

Visit site
What symptoms did s/he display: lame right hind due to stifle OCD and cruciate ligament damage
What brand have you bought: Newmarket Joint Supplement
How long have you been using: 6months
How long before you saw any change: no idea if been any change as been on field rest since then

How old is your horse: 11
What symptoms did s/he display: none - using it for prevention
What brand have you bought: Newmarket Joint Supp
How long have you been using: 1 month
How long before you saw any change: no change noted

peanut

Visit site
To someone like me who is considering giving Glucosamine, this thread is interesting reading as it seems no-one is convinced of its benefit.

minmax

Visit site
I think if you have been advised to use some sort of joint aid, by your vet. Then would be a good idea to use one. I use Cortaflex on my 2, one ( 4 yrs) had arthroscopy for OCD in both hocks and stifles other is my comp horse, so preventative. I do notice a diff if I run out, I have used other stuff but feel Cortaflex seems to work better on my youngster.

Visit site
How old is your horse: 14
What symptoms did s/he display: Suffered a long period of unsoundness in front.
What brand have you bought: Vetfactor - direct from vet
How long have you been using: 3years
How long before you saw any change: Was a very gradual build up to get him back working so can't really comment as such but I happened to take him off it during the summer when turned out 24/7 and when I brought him back into work after a month off of it he had a shortness of stride again. Within 2 weeks back on it he was back to his normal self.

Vicky

Shearer

Visit site
How old is your horse: 13
What symptoms did s/he display: Arthritis and Bone Spavin
What brand have you bought: Equine America
How long have you been using: 6 months
How long before you saw any change: Difficult to say as he had injections and is also on other supplements/bute

Britestar

Visit site
How old is your horse: 14
What symptoms did s/he display: None. Had an op at 4 and lay for 36hrs. Assumed there must be a degree of stifle damage as a result. Had radial paralysis and massive odema at time.
What brand have you bought: feedmark Extraflex HA
How long have you been using: 5 yrs
How long before you saw any change: Not so much see change but can feel a stiffness if he's been off it for more than a few weeks

tikino

Visit site
How old is your horse: 13
What symptoms did s/he display: bone spavin in both hocks due to DJD and arthritis
What brand have you bought: Naf superflex
How long have you been using: 6 yrs as was diagnosed when he was 7 yrs old
How long before you saw any change: he was better after a few weeks but hard to say if it was the supplement or the steroid injection into the hocks. however if he has not had it for a few days he is much stiffer than normal

lizzi2

Visit site

How old is your horse: 20
What symptoms did s/he display: Arthritis in neck (xrayed)
What brand have you bought: 'Forever Freedom'
How long have you been using: 7 years
How long before you saw any change: 2 months

Think that there's a huge variance in products with glucosamine available, which means analysis needs to be carefully researched. :)

Sarah

see above

miamibear

Visit site
What symptoms did s/he display: Suspensory ligament damage and arthritis of fetlock, pastern and coffin joint in both hinds
What brand have you bought: Grand Flex HA
How long have you been using: 5 weeks
How long before you saw any change: 3 weeks - although this could have been a clear up of the suspensory problems. Horse is definately more comforable and not trying to displace pain as much

EquineInfo

www.equineinfo.co.uk
How old is your horse: 18
What symptoms did s/he display: stiffness in back legs, worse when stabled in winter
What brand have you bought:NAF SuperFlex
How long have you been using:2-3 years
How long before you saw any change:not sure but he does seem less stiff when on it