GLUE ON SHOES

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Has anyone used them? If so how did it go?
Thet are recommended to me for my TB who's feet have fallen apart and can't take nails- he is very lame and sore.
The farrier said they would last about 10 weeks given that my horse grows absolutly NO foot ever and they will cost about £140.....Does all this sound about right?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
These sound similar to the stick on shoes that are used in laminitic cases. I know that those cost around £140 so I suppose that the price you've been told would be about right. Fortunately though I've never had to use them so can't help you any further, sorry.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes he's on both biotin and Farriers formula but i have only just started with them so i guess they take a while to kick in.

Do they not come "unstuck"

Marchtime

Visit site
harlequin35 I'd really recommend formula 4 feet rather than biotin or farriers formula. I've been in the same position as you and swapping my boy onto this supplement made a huge difference. He previously was on biotin for three years and it did limited good.
The price sounds about right for glue on shoes. I managed to avoid them - my farrier took to nailing on the shoes with only three nails as there wasn't enough hoof wall for more - risky but worked. I do know that my farrier warned glue on shoes do have their downsides - can't for the life of me remember what but have a good long talk with your farrier just so you are aware.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thank you... I did look at formula 4 feet and was unsure at the time so asked the shop lady who said farriers formula was most popular so went with that. I will use it up and try the other one then. How long does it last you?

And his turnout wont be boggy or he just has to stay in- he is on box rest at the moment because he is so sore

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Jay used to have glue-on racing plates (cos these are lighter than normal shoes).
They worked quite well, although the wet, when it got between shoe and foot, could make them loose.
It was nice to go back to normal once he had grown some decent horn.
Is it the Imprint shoes you mean? if so, my farrier thinks they are alright except that the horse has to stand stock still to have them fitted.
One wrong move and they are glued wonky!
crazy.gif

DuckToller

Visit site
Had three sets of glue on shoes for a laminitic pony last autumn. Only had fronts and each set lasted 6 weeks, but the farrier wanted to come out that soon to retrim the hoof, I am sure they would have stayed on alot longer if I'd needed them to. He was initially on box rest but was turned out after a few weeks and the shoes stayed on brilliantly, even through the early winter. Cost me £110 for two fronts each time. Worth every penny.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh thats all fairly hopeful! I have no idea if i mean imprint shoes sorry!
The last few months have been a nightmare and i feel so bad for the poor old thing, I do hope this is just a temporary solution. The idea is that the protection they provide will prevent the little new growth there is from breaking off but that he will have some comfort to be able to walk and get the circulation going again until real shoes can be used again.

Jules19

Visit site
My TB had glue on shoes a couple of years ago, he managed to get them off in 3 weeks, very expensive exercise! His feet have always been atrocious despite 2 years of Farriers Formula. Changed to Formula 4 Feet 2 months ago, seeing the difference already. My farrier does say it is very much horses for courses with these supplements so it may be that you have success with Farriers Formula, it does take about a year to find out though!

shell1978

Visit site
I must be getting a bargin for my imprint shoes......Lacey having hers on today at £80 for 2!!!! What a bobby dazzler!!!!
grin.gif

niagaraduval

Visit site
I would try taking him barefoot with boots to be honest.
My horse never ever kept his shoes. He lost 2 the day after the farrier had put them on. He's barefoot now and his hooves are a lot harder and healthier. He never has a problem anymore. He's never lame, not grouchy and it only cost me 20€ every 6 weeks for a trim.
When being ridden on stoney he has 'Boa boots' they're about £100 a pair. But well worth the money. They last for years.