Glue on shoes ????

Sasha123

New User
Visit site
What are people's thoughts on glue on shoes and can they recommend a farrier local to Brentwood that has experience in these, or any other ideas for bare feet.
Thank you

bonny

Visit site
I would only use them as a last resort, they are expensive and come off very easily in my experience, I am in Scotland so can't help with a farrier but here most farriers don't do them.

Morgan123

Visit site
Hello,

This made me smile as I just had some put on for the first time yesterday. My horse has been barefoot for years but had concussion damage in navicular bones so the vet wanted him to have supportive shoes that were glued on so as not to be as intrusive as nails. The farrier brought some lovely racing plates for him.

Firstly this is costing £75 for two shoes, obviously fine if needed but high cost!

Took bloody ages putting them on, messy job, and clearly quite tricky. My farrier spent ages getting it right, making scores in the shoes so that the glue would adhere properly to the shoe, etc etc. Went to get said pony this morning, only one shoe on! The other one is loose as well. Our field isn't wet or anything.

So I wouldn't recommend.....!! Not sure what I'm going to try next. Apparently some people get them to stay on for a few weeks but not sure how!

Kelpie

Visit site
Google Jeff newnham and his glue on shoes ... He is a farrier who has been developing some and a glue to go with them .... I have popped my girl in them for fronts as she was struggling barefoot and as she has other physical issues I need to be careful not to make her sore. So far so good! Not cheap but if you don't plan to shoe all the time they really much better allow you to shoe when you must then be barefoot when you can.

Yertis

Visit site
You can cut the costs by buying the shoes and glue yourself, I used Hoof-IT's from America, cost about £22 a pair, glue £13 and glued 4 pairs, farrier charged me £30 a pair to fit and they averaged 4 weeks before glue gave way, but only doing light hacking.
Now changed to Duplo from Germany, these have a metal inner core and are nailed on, she's very comfy in these and the shock absorbing is great for her arthritis as well as minimum hoof wall damage. These are removed & refitted every 6 weeks as they do seem to stimulate a lot of growth. Before anyone suggests, she was barefoot for 10 years but has CPL which has finally affected horn quality and she needs the protection. :)

Yertis

Visit site
You can cut the costs by buying the shoes and glue yourself, I used Hoof-IT's from America, cost about £22 a pair, glue £13 and glued 4 pairs, farrier charged me £30 a pair to fit and they averaged 4 weeks before glue gave way, but only doing light hacking.
Now changed to Duplo from Germany, these have a metal inner core and are nailed on, she's very comfy in these and the shock absorbing is great for her arthritis as well as minimum hoof wall damage. These are removed & refitted every 6 weeks as they do seem to stimulate a lot of growth. Before anyone suggests, she was barefoot for 10 years but has CPL which has finally affected horn quality and she needs the protection. :)

BethH

Visit site
Have a look at Equi-eaze shoes, I researched glue on shoes as a possibility for my horse, looked at all of them and these seemed the cleverest, there is also no metal in them so massively reduces concussion. If I decide I need to go back to shoes, this is what I will try, the farrier who designed them is very well informed, the shoes appear to be about £20 a pair and can be glued or nailed on. Clearly gluing any shoes take twice the time so twice the farrier cost but I thought these look excellent & are also British. The designer hopes to reduce the arthritic conditions that horses suffer from by reducing the concussion that having metal shoes nailed on 24/7 causes as they are 100% flexible plastic. He seems to be achieving some very good results on the remedial front with horses that have suffered difficulties and they are also being used for normal shoeing although this is clearly more expensive unless you nail them on.

WellyBaggins

Visit site
I have used Imprint sports on my horse and we now how another horse on the yard with them on, they are eyewateringly expensive but I have to say the horses are really comfortable in them, mine has navicular and having tried all other options these really worked for him, he is now in "normal" shoes but will go back into the imprints in the spring as there is zero hope of keeping them on in the winter! They did come off quite a lot when I started 2 weeks was about the max but he was just coming back into work and was a bit stupid, once he settled they did 4 weeks. The other horse that has them on has been eventing and working on grass all the time has broken his feet up, he has had them on nearly 4 weeks and I think *touches all available wooden surfaces frantically* he will go five weeks so I guess it depends on the horse! I would recommend them even if only for a short spell to give the foot a break :)

unitedbb

New User
Visit site
I have a mare with glue on shoes (very sensitive hooves and goes lame on her front with nailed shoes). We first tried the imprint shoes which worked really well, horse moved amazing in them however they only lasted 3 weeks, she rolled in her stable and knocked one straight off, I was also told to try and not do much hacking as they wear quite quick. They worked out quite expensive as we had the vet there aswell and she needed sedating. We then tried normal aluminium bar shoes just glued on, 2 days later she spooked across the road and knocked one straight off, got it put back on, it lasted 2 weeks till we went over 1 jump and her shoe rolled past us before we got to the second jump (farrier said she wasn't sure how they would stand up to jumping) however she was then turned out everyday in the field for 2 weeks and she galloped around like a numpty and the other shoe lasted another 2 weeks whilst we waited for plan C to arrive! We are now trialling the Soundhorse glue on shoes. They look like they should be alot more substantial but she is yet to be turned out and jumped in them. I paid £245 for the glue on fronts and she has normal nailed back shoes. We buy them from Atlantic Equine however we are going to try and get them direct from America as the glue and shoes work out at half the price!
Not sure what we will do if these ones dont work as after seeing the difference in her there is no way i want to nail another shoe on and have to hope and pray that she stops sound after! My other 2 are barefoot, its a shame the mare cant go barefoot and be able to cope with the amount of work she gets comfortably!

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
I've used the sound horse shoes before ... Very good I thought but watch the cost of the import duty plus shipping from the states .... I had your idea too but can't say as though it worked out cheaper in the end.... Interestingly my farrier charged 200 for fronts only. Jeff's glue ons as above compare at 135....

JonnoT

New User
Visit site
My wife's TBX spent about 6 months in Imprints after his hooves just got too brittle and broken for the farrier to keep a shoe on him. 6 months of Imprints and "better 4 hooves" and his hooves were like new and have never looked back. They are expensive, being plastic they'll never last as long as steel on the road, they do work loose (4 weeks about average) and the farrier does need to know how to put them on properly, but they made a huge difference to his feet. We would use them again.

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Those who have used the imprints did you use the normal ones or the sport ones? The sport ones are no problem on the road at all, I have not anyway near worn them out and I hacked mostly on the roads in mine.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Please avoid Equicast like the plague. My hubby is a farrier and he said that this can construct the movement of the hoof upsetting the natural blood supply through the hoof. He said they are dreadful.

Heelfirst

Visit site
Have put on 100’s of stick-on shoes, from Glue 2’s to Imprint, all are very good as long as they are put on by someone who knows how to!
I now only use Equiwrap to preserve the foot turning transition.

lazybee

Visit site
We've been using Epona shoes for a a couple of years with the Vettec Adhere two part glue. I bought a special gun, like a mastic gun for the tubes. The glue isn't cheap but will do two shoeings. The shoes do come off sometimes in the damp weather, as moisture will eventually break the bond. We now get the farrier to put a couple of nails in to maintain a positive bond so they stay on much longer

When the farrier comes for the other horses (others are shoeless), we get him to do a trim then I fit the shoes while he's there; so he can put nails in.

Zerotolerance

Visit site
I've used Sound Horse Technologies glue ons on one of mine for years. (think he was the first horse in the UK to have them) Never ever had a problem with them coming off, even show jumping and x country. On one occasion actually left them on for 13 weeks (elderly horse, little foot growth and was going to get a free pair at a farriers demo, so left them longer than normal for that!).
Expensive at up to £180/pair depending on your farrier, but worth it. If I won the lottery I'd have them on everything!

unitedbb

New User
Visit site
Those who have used the imprints did you use the normal ones or the sport ones? The sport ones are no problem on the road at all, I have not anyway near worn them out and I hacked mostly on the roads in mine.

We wanted the sport ones but when the vet spoke to the person he said that they wouldn't be suitable as my mare had the wrong shape feet and they wouldn't mold that much so she had to have normal. She had quite alot of wear on hers after 3 weeks just walking along a short section of road to and from the arena every day and the odd 20 minutes on the horse walker (but she is also a devil for pawing the ground even when stood in the stable so that doesn't help). Still the best type of glue on I have tried though and would try again in hope that they lasted abit longer before she managed to lose one!

Hollyberry

Visit site
I am very angry that I have been charged £250 by a farrier recommended by my vet to put on two hind Imprint shoes for my horse who has laminitis. One fell off after 10 days and had to be re stuck. The only reason I used this chap is because my regular farrier put plastic shoes on and made such a mess of it my poor horse was hobbling as he put glue between the shoe and sole and it set into little points. So second farrier is only one locally who can fit these Imprint shoes. I have just found out that to buy a couple of these shoes costs at best £37.00. Glue is £15 so where does £250 come from. The farrier told me they cost him £100 to buy. Even at that price he is having a laugh. Gutted as Insurance will only pay out half.

Visit site
I hate to say it, but it's really not. Long term it can case serious lameness. Once cured it prevents the hoof from expanding properly on weight bearing, or indeed at all, causing bruising to the soft tissues within the hoof. Not to be recommended!