Gluecose absorbtion test

Gaw

Visit site
My pony after being diagnosed with Lammi has just been tested for EMS and the result came back as 100 with 50 being the base line for EMS . Where is this on a scale of 1-10 . She had the gluecose followed by bloods being taken 60mins afterwards. Vet has prescribed Metaformin.

Gaw

Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by 'on a scale of 1-10'? Her results indicate she definitely has EMS unfortunately and will need careful management from now on.
I was thinking in terms of severity , to be honest the figures mean nothing to me , She is a chunky 14.2 native cross who is overweight and been on no grass and soaked hay since diagnosed with having Lammi in her front right hoof . X ray shows a rotation of 10 degrees .

SEL

Visit site
I've seen higher but management is the same. The one I saw with sky high results was still in work so her owner upped the exercise and now she looks more sports cob.

Is yours still too lame to work?

Reactions: Gaw

Gaw

Visit site
I've seen higher but management is the same. The one I saw with sky high results was still in work so her owner upped the exercise and now she looks more sports cob.

Is yours still too lame to work?
She is down from 2 to 1 bute a day and the Vet was quite chuffed with her improvement from 4 weeks ago , told to start exercise with her when she can move as well on no bute.
Sorry for the duplication of my posts under different headings but I did not know how to delete .

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If it helps, before I bought him, Rigsby had a lami attack, was overweight, and tested over 300 on his EMS test. I think it was 349.

He didn't have any medication for it, the owner had him on box rest for the lami anyway, and he was put onto a vet supervised strict diet.

By the time I bought him, 3 1/2 months later, 3 ribs were visible. My vet insisted she wanted to see more ribbage (eeek) and he now has about 7 ribs visible.

He has strict dieting, well soaked hay, supplements, dry lot turnout for 6 months after I bought him, and we had to re-do the Caro challenge test before he was allowed grass. This time he scored... 14.7 I think it was. Teens anyway. Well controlled.

Since then, I upped his work, he is up to 4 hours a day on grass (muzzled), still on dry to turnout the rest of the time, and he is looking well. However, be warned, people are not used to seeing skinny cob types, and you will get comments. It is hurtful. Especially when you are running round doing 4 sets of soaked hay in tiny holed nets, separate straw nets, low cal meal with loads of supplementation, 2 lots of grazing. I literally can't leave him for more than 5 hours, as he has regular meals to try to keep his tummy healthy. If I need to go out for longer, I have to arrange someone else to feed him. It is a real balancing act.

He has had sore guts, but is now on another supplement to help.

That said, he has done dressage, learned to jump, boxed out to ride out on roads and a country ride, done RC etc etc.

You have to have a strong personality, and a hotline to the vet, plus weigh tape weekly, to keep up with the dieting to keep him healthy. But then, when people still criticise it is a stinker. Mine is an older chap though, with a slightly dippey back, and I think that makes him look worse. He is as healthy as he can be, of that I am sure, and the vet would actually like him even slimmer. You can't please everyone, especially Rigsby, who thinks he should be eating 24/7!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Red-1, do you know why Rigsby wasn't given metformin to help to control his weight? I keep reading that it works very well and horses become sound very quickly when it is in their system.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Red-1, do you know why Rigsby wasn't given metformin to help to control his weight? I keep reading that it works very well and horses become sound very quickly when it is in their system.
It's a last resort, I believe, if nothing else is working and no work due to laminitis is possible when both conditions are simultaneous. Also I believe it has limited duration of effectiveness. Kind of emergency use?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

No idea, before my time :p.

I spoke to the previous vet after I bought him, he told me that Rigsby was very fat when he got lami, his crest was not only big, but was at one side big. I understand that the yard turned them all out in Lockdown no 1, and they weren't able to ride either, so events overtook them.

Once he was on box rest, they soaked and weighed everything, the vets recommendations were done to the letter. He lost weight quite quickly. I understand he became sound reasonably quickly too, but he was on box rest for the three months. He went stiff in his back legs during the box rest. bless the hairy one!

Quercus

New User
Visit site
My horse had an EMS test last week, the Caro corn syrup one, his results came back as 69. Vet said ideally it would be below 30 but they really worry if it is above 80. He has evidence of chronic lami and is overweight with some fat pads and a bit of a crest, he has lost some weight but very slowly as not able to exercise him, I think we are going to try Metformin for a few months to get things under control.

Gaw

Visit site
My horse had an EMS test last week, the Caro corn syrup one, his results came back as 69. Vet said ideally it would be below 30 but they really worry if it is above 80. He has evidence of chronic lami and is overweight with some fat pads and a bit of a crest, he has lost some weight but very slowly as not able to exercise him, I think we are going to try Metformin for a few months to get things under control.

Rosie pony has been off bute for 2 weeks , heartbar shoes fitted to the front on Metaformin and lost 20 kilos in weight . On a sparse paddock which we strip feed her with soaked hay, started to exercise her in hand so hopefully all is going in the right direction and vet is happy with her progress.

Quercus

New User
Visit site
Rosie pony has been off bute for 2 weeks , heartbar shoes fitted to the front on Metaformin and lost 20 kilos in weight . On a sparse paddock which we strip feed her with soaked hay, started to exercise her in hand so hopefully all is going in the right direction and vet is happy with her progress.
That sounds encouraging, hope she continues to do well! We have had heart bars on for six weeks and v restricted grazing, muzzled and given weighed out low sugar haylage, unfortunately he came in with pulses in one foot last night and warm hooves this morning so vet has now given Metformin and we are back to box rest for a bit, fingers crossed the Metformin helps him shift the weight a bit quicker