Goals, ambitions, objectives - call them what you will, but do you have any and what are they?

Greylegs

Visit site
I feel like I'm at a bit of a crossroads with my horse. She's a 9yo chunky Irish bred mare, who I will have owed for two years at Christmas. She's fairly nicely schooled, but probably would benefit from a bit more flat work (which I do, but find a bit tedious, if I'm honest!), safe to hack alone or in company and generally a good - if very opinionated - girl. Around this time last year, I had an accident (not horse related) which kept me off riding for 6 months while I mended. Happily, I'm now fully recovered, back on board and happily hacking about. But, having lost the whole of last winter to my injury, I would like to go into this winter with a bit more of a plan in mind to get the most out of my horse and my riding over the next few months, and to give me a bit of motivation to get on and get on with it over the winter. We have a nice school to work in and some very good off road hacking (gets very wet in winter, but ridable). I have been working with an excellent instructor, but she's a high level dressage rider and I have no real desire to work at that sort of level, so maybe a change of instructor??. We can do a respectable prelim level test, but as long as my horse will walk/trot/canter/stop/start/turn left/turn right I don't feel as if I want to get more involved in the finer points of more advanced work for any sort of competitive purpose.

So, do I just lack ambition, and should just chill out and enjoy my hacking about as the mood and the weather takes me? Or should I try to form some sort of plan for the coming cold months, with a view to achieving some sort or yet-to-be-defined goal come the spring? I feel as if I should be doing something a bit more challenging, but what? Am I over-thinking this? What are you planning over the winter? All words of wisdom gratefully received.

SDMabel

Visit site
Im very much a go with the flow - why force yourself to do something if you don't have any real interest in it.

If you enjoy hacking , do that !

I wind down over winter , we will do the odd hunter trial, go bloodhounding and hack. I dont tend to school her over winter as we aren't doing any showing so it's not really necessary.

But also , if the weather is really poo i dont force myself to ride either, what's the point if it's not enjoyable 😊 ( pony definitely doesn't mind a day off !)

Muddywellies

Visit site
I always wanted to get to PSG. But had to admit to myself that I really don't like competing. So I changed yards to a non competitive one, still train a lot (I enjoy that) but only compete once every blue moon. Now my focus is enjoyment for both me and my horse. Life is pressured enough without making my down time pressured as well.

Squeak

Visit site
I think it entirely depends on what you enjoy most with horses. If you don't have competitive aspirations and prefer hacking then you could aim to do x, y, z hacks and hacks of x distance or boxing out to places you've wanted to hack.

Alternatively I don't think there's anything wrong at all with just waking up and seeing what you fancy doing that day and if that's just a quick groom or pat and no riding then that is fine (assuming horse is happy and healthy without the exercise).

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a tonne of unachieved goals. It’s not for lack of trying and tbh it’s what keeps me going as otherwise I would quit horses as it’s a really stupid hobby with the time and money it consumes. Every time I sit on a horse I am working towards something on the whole. Whether that’s educating them or training them for the longer term. I hate hacking, so my hacking is for a reason (fitness, education, less stressful day for horse). I just wouldn’t ride without goals/aims. I like horses but it’s the daily grind that drives me to ultimately keep getting better.
I did wonder about buying a schoolmaster the other day to just go and achieve my aims with a lot less hassle as have the money but I don’t think I would get the same level of satisfaction that I do from the homebreds and horses I have had since very young. They are my reflection.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
My mare is 5 and needs a lot of building up, so this winter while the weather is rubbish, the plan is to hack her as much as the weather will allow, and we'll do some work in the school over trot poles to help her gain some muscle. We have just started doing some walking/trotting over poles and I can already feel a difference in her way of going. She only goes in the school once or twice a week so I am taking the slow and steady approach with her. So far so good :) even though it's slow, I'm enjoying working with her (and she seems to be enjoying it too which is the most important thing!). Only thing is she hates the rain and being wet, so suspect she's going to have an extensive waterproof wardrobe this winter 😅

Jinx94

Visit site
I totally lost my mojo and haven't achieved any goals that I've set for the last 1.5-2 years.
So my current goals are basic - I want to sit on my 5yo and hack the pony before Christmas. That's it.
Anything else will be a bonus!

Imo there are times to stretch yourself and times to be gentle. The challenge is figuring out which you need!

Bernster

Visit site
I tend to be better with a plan and goals but they’re generally fairly short/medium term ones (this season, this year). You can have all manner of goals to suit what you want to do and what motivates you, even if it’s related to hacking or basics. Mine tend to be around completions or events though, like getting Finn fit for a sponsored ride (which he was fab at) so now it’s to see if he’s fit enough to hunt. That will be this seasons aim.

For Bertie, I’m focusing on flatwork as I’ve had a wobble following a fall. So two aims there were to qualify for the RC dressage champs (did that) which we’re going to this weekend, and work on my confidence and mindset, which I’m doing with a 1 day workshop in Nov.

Goals can change and adapt as needed. And they don’t need to be big ambitious ones - just something that’s going to motivate or inspire you. A goal might even be to pootle about having a relaxing time over winter!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had goals and they felt worthwhile at the time but failing to reach them can be destructive. I thought I could event to advanced (not win, just be there) but when it came to it I couldn't show jump higher than 1m 10 with a couple of single 1m 15 fences, bigger courses just defeated me. I thought I could ride to GP (local) dressage but I had to accept that I just didn't have the work ethic it would take to get there.

I'm 65 now, though, and I'm content (not happy, that's different) that my only goal is to try to keep my horse sound. Anything else is a bonus.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am goal oriented even since I stopped completing I like a plan .
Recently however there’s been no time for plans I am pretty overwhelmed with stuff outside my life with horses and I am just hacking about .
I don’t like it but I have the horses and if they come out of work they will get dangerously fat so I have to do it it’s a bit meh .

people are different and should do what you enjoy .

irishdraft

Visit site
In my area I'm very lucky with things to do over the winter, bloodhounds, fox hounds, hunt rides with out hounds and we have another group who do rides over the winter with fabulous hospitality which makes for a great social day out. Also arena hire for jumping etc . I don't compete or really do much schooling but I do get out and about enjoying my horse whilst also educating her in dealing with riding & jumping in groups & dealing with all sorts of situations that arise.

Squeak

Visit site
Quite frankly my goals now are to have less goals, less pressure and get back to just enjoying horses for horses sake.

I did that last year and it was surprising how much fun I had and I achieved far more than I had in previous years and ticked off quite a few bucket list things, sometimes it's easy to forget it should be fun. I was lucky, I had/ have a great horse to enjoy it with.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don’t like competing and I don’t much like other people (at least, not in large doses, and especially not a lot of horsey types), so I mostly avoid having goals which conflict with those.

I do, however, like having nice, well mannered horses and I like training, so we do always have goals about what we are doing. Those might be about quality of school work or doing new jump exercises to work on stuff, or they might be horsemanship-y games, or playing with bridleless, playing with skill at arms stuff, playing with archery, etc.

Since being involved in a non-horsey sport / hobby, I’ve really noticed how toxic the horse culture can be here, and it’s made me more reluctant to engage with the aspects of it that don’t actively make me happy.

What I’m trying to say is that, beyond horse welfare and appropriate horsemanship, there is no “should” about how you spend your winter. If you want to train, try a few instructors and see who you enjoy most. If you want to compete, go and see how it makes you feel. If you want to spend the whole winter just chilling out and enjoying your horse, that’s fine too.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I talk with a lot of customers about finding the joy in what is in front of you - a horse that needs rehabbing, a horse that isn't going to achieve the competitive goals you might have had, a horse that has severe weight challenges etc. I LOVE a lot of the relationship type coaching that is out there now, people like Felicity Davies in NZ and Balance and Align Equestrian Relationships in the UK. Improving the horse for their own sake, on their own terms, can become absolutely fulfilling in itself, and takes us away from goals and more towards observation, understanding and feel. And all of it can still be done alongside more competitive goals etc though of course sometimes they have to take the back seat.

I also firmly agree that some people work well with goals and plans, but that other people are better seeing what life presents to them and "responding". I'm not a goal oriented person, it doesn't harmonise with me much at all so I set them only when absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Alibear

Visit site
I've had much more fun and success since dropping S.M.A.R.T goals. Life has a habit of changing plans for you, and I'd end up so depressed about missing goals.
So now I think of goals and aims, focusing on the steps to work towards the bigger aim/goal. Focusing on the steps means when I turn up, I can see how Amber is, the weather, what's going on at the yard etc and work on whichever steps seem suitable for the pair of us in that moment.
I have steps that cover in-hand schooling, hacking, physio, turnout, etc, so there's always something productive that we can do. Focusing on the steps allows me to easily spot when a goal or aim actually needs to change before we get there so it's completely removed the failure thoughts. Removing the timeline has had the same effect by slowing down and focusing on the steps; there's never a fixed deadline, and it's actually meant we've achieved things quicker.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
ride again before i die
This was my goal until a few weeks ago, when I discovered that a hopeless hip did not prevent me from doing side saddle. My goals have now changed completely -I am losing weight [ hard to look elegant otherwise] , and hope soon to hack side saddle , then perhaps an Intro test eventually , and if I had a show horse I d be looking to showing SSA as well, far in the future! After a lifetime of horses , there s nothing like actually riding them. Having youngstock, getting grandkids a pony, driving , whatever , was never going to do it for me! Afishoutofwater- please explore ways you can perhaps ride - good luck!

toppedoff

Visit site
My goals are to ride again and hopefully just maybe have a pony one day 🤣 both aren't realistic but I'm not competitive or got aspirations in the sports area

Visit site
My goals each year are actually quite childish and pathetic - beat certain people in the show ring. I don't care if I win or not so long as I am placed higher than them 😂😂

This year will be very hard to top but I don't go out to do better than last year. I take each year as it comes with whatever ponies I have out. As a yearling and 2yo showing Dum Dum was a waste of time. But he went out a few times as education. As a 3yo he pretty much swept the board. There's really only 3 things in Scotland I want to win. One is achievable (and I've won it before) the other 2 are a damned site harder to win. 1 purely because I won't show inhand at the Highland as the ponies have to stay all week stabled there. But I would love to win the championship there one year. And the other is to get a Cuddy ticket. But again that is 99% unachievable but is a nice dream to have.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Only to have fun and keep my horse happy.

Hacking is our main love so the motivation to ride is self-fulfilling really so we remain fit enough for long and decent paced rides, even in not so nice weather.

I have a classical/biomechanical instructor I see once or twice a month to help us progress but without any set goals. By progressing, I mean working towards helping us become lighter, softer stronger physically in the right way rather than getting him to progress up the levels competitively. He feels SO much better than he did 18 months-2 years ago, so just enjoying the journey and learning as much as I can to help him.

I've picked up Trec over the last few years and really enjoyed taking part as it's a friendly crowd on the whole and as competitive (or not) as you make it but rewards a partnership with practical horsemanship rather than having a super flashy horse or be immaculately turned out, which plays to our strengths.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
I feel like I'm at a bit of a crossroads with my horse. She's a 9yo chunky Irish bred mare, who I will have owed for two years at Christmas. She's fairly nicely schooled, but probably would benefit from a bit more flat work (which I do, but find a bit tedious, if I'm honest!), safe to hack alone or in company and generally a good - if very opinionated - girl. Around this time last year, I had an accident (not horse related) which kept me off riding for 6 months while I mended. Happily, I'm now fully recovered, back on board and happily hacking about. But, having lost the whole of last winter to my injury, I would like to go into this winter with a bit more of a plan in mind to get the most out of my horse and my riding over the next few months, and to give me a bit of motivation to get on and get on with it over the winter. We have a nice school to work in and some very good off road hacking (gets very wet in winter, but ridable). I have been working with an excellent instructor, but she's a high level dressage rider and I have no real desire to work at that sort of level, so maybe a change of instructor??. We can do a respectable prelim level test, but as long as my horse will walk/trot/canter/stop/start/turn left/turn right I don't feel as if I want to get more involved in the finer points of more advanced work for any sort of competitive purpose.

So, do I just lack ambition, and should just chill out and enjoy my hacking about as the mood and the weather takes me? Or should I try to form some sort of plan for the coming cold months, with a view to achieving some sort or yet-to-be-defined goal come the spring? I feel as if I should be doing something a bit more challenging, but what? Am I over-thinking this? What are you planning over the winter? All words of wisdom gratefully received.
I just want to buy a horse I can ride, have a few happy years together, ride any storms, and have fun. Apart from schooling in the menage and field I want to hack out on my own again.
I want to go back competing (just for fun) doing SH and Dressage, maybe the odd ODE at a very low height!
I want to do fun rides, as I used to do six or seven a year.
And I just want to do a bit of groundwork, maybe do a groundwork session once a week as I saw how invaluable it was with Lari and the difference it made to his top line and core.

I'm not looking at this through rose tinted spectacles though. I know I won't ride every night, I don't expect to be able to do more than three or four ridden sessions a week as I've not ridden for so long and when I do they will literally be 20 minute short sessions as the muscles get their muscle memory back from many years before.

I want to go down first in the morning and hear my horse greet me and take Summer with me. I really miss my 5.30am visits at the weekend.

scats

Visit site
I was very goal oriented when I was younger. Now I appreciate having a sound and sane (mostly!) horse that I can hack out, school, pop a tiny fence and just generally enjoy. Millie is worth her weight in gold really.
I came very close to losing my foot last year, which could have been a bit catastrophic, so I am just enjoying riding and being mobile as last winter was a bit boring 😅
I won’t put any pressure on myself this winter though, if the weathers rubbish and I don’t feel like riding, then I won’t.

Skib

sites.google.com
I have got covid this week and am feeling seedy but my aim is to live to Jan 2024 when I think the ages of my share mare and me will total 100.
re horses' dates of birth, can anyone help me? Is their birthday always notionally on 1 January?

SEL

Visit site
I shoved any goals at the back of a dark cupboard for years when I realised my horse wasn't sound enough. Back then I just wanted her to be happy being ridden. She's now happily retired.

Two small cobs came into my life and they've brought the fun back into riding. I've also realised I couldn't care less about the competition side of things providing we do our best. I'm so much happier than when I used to compete when I was younger and the lack of stress seems to make me ride better as a result.

So my goals are tiny. Keep them happy & healthy and just gradually improve - whether that's further afield hacking confidence or improving dressage scores. Just nice to be riding again.