Goals for next year? Please share!

ImmyS

Visit site
Finn is officially on his winter holiday and I am already twiddling my thumbs and already looking at him everyday with excitement to get going again! He is only 3 and a half and with no facilities and working daylight hours - a holiday is best but I just can’t wait to start again next spring.

So goals for next year are
1. Start groundwork again around March/April.
2. Finn to spend a few weeks at my trainer once he turns 4.
3. To start regular light hacking.
4. To try and get out and about at least once a month - whether in hand showing, a clinic, trip to the beach etc.
5. Another winter holiday ?

I would love to know everyone’s plans and goals for next year so please share away!

Tarragon

Visit site
I find myself with no ridable pony at the moment (one elderly pony and one 16 year old pony, unexplainably lame but happy as a companion pony with a friend) so my only goal is to find my new riding partner! Looking for a youngster to back. It would be lovely to find one in the next few weeks so they can settle in over winter while we get to know each other and then start in earnest in spring.

ImmyS

Visit site
I find myself with no ridable pony at the moment (one elderly pony and one 16 year old pony, unexplainably lame but happy as a companion pony with a friend) so my only goal is to find my new riding partner! Looking for a youngster to back. It would be lovely to find one in the next few weeks so they can settle in over winter while we get to know each other and then start in earnest in spring.

ohh exciting! What sort of youngster are you looking for? ☺️

ImmyS

Visit site

ohh exciting! What sort of youngster are you looking for? ☺️

Spotherisk

Visit site
Horse wise, I really don’t know. I have two retirees at home.

So plans I have already made for this winter… signed up with a personal trainer from November, goals are fitness, suppleness and weight loss. Unless I can get more supple I will continue to be unable to ride - my hips are so tight it is constant agony to sit on a horse.

Continue running which I’m loving, building up distance - I have entered a 10k in May and can run 5k now. I’d like to run a two or three 10k races next year, and do a Parkrun maybe one a month to see if I improve.

I’d like a holiday in the sun, short breaks suit us best because of animals, maybe a spring break in the south of France.

ImmyS

Visit site
Horse wise, I really don’t know. I have two retirees at home.

So plans I have already made for this winter… signed up with a personal trainer from November, goals are fitness, suppleness and weight loss. Unless I can get more supple I will continue to be unable to ride - my hips are so tight it is constant agony to sit on a horse.

Continue running which I’m loving, building up distance - I have entered a 10k in May and can run 5k now. I’d like to run a two or three 10k races next year, and do a Parkrun maybe one a month to see if I improve.

I’d like a holiday in the sun, short breaks suit us best because of animals, maybe a spring break in the south of France.

I like these goals! I have been thinking the same. Whilst Finn is on holiday it would be good to get myself a bit fitter before riding again next year.
A holiday certainly sounds nice too!

ImmyS

Visit site
Continue with Hermosa's groundwork and back her after she turns four in the summer.

Try to help Foinavon realize that arenas are not sandboxes of doom, despite his past experiences to the contrary. He doesn't need to be a world beating dressage horse, but it would be nice to be able to school him a little bit.

I have been following your posts about Foinavon and he really reminds me of my previous horse Arlo. He would some sometimes be really bold and other times he just seemed to get a bit overwhelmed by life!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I'm taking Tilly show jumping one last time this year then giving her the winter off although might take her out a few hacks here and there depending on how she goes.
Next year we're going to join riding club and do more training.

Loan horse - I'll be hacking and schooling. We've been doing poles on the ground.

LegOn

Visit site
Ohhh so many things! There are few things I would love to do before the end of this year...

Jump a 1m fence at home & maybe jump a 90cm SJ round competitively (we are currently 80/85cm)
Go the beach and come home alive!
Go XC schooling over some of the 'bigger ones'!
Save and upgrade my dressage saddle (I dont actually compete dressage, but love riding in a dressage saddle when not jumping!)

Then for next year, I would love love love to go back to the show ring - and do a big national show and come last again! :p But enjoy it just as much!

My lifelong goal is to win a sash at something... I'll have to strategically enter a class where I am the only one in it! :D;)

Birker2020

Visit site
Like to do a few Novice unaffiliated dressage tests and see how the new boy does, also a bit of clear round jumping and a few classes at 2ft 6/2ft 9 height. Would also like to do fun rides next year and possibly a mini one day event if I can find somewhere other than our local riding club to compete at.

That's all according if I can drop down a couple of stone so I can get in show gear ;)

ImmyS

Visit site
Like to do a few Novice unaffiliated dressage tests and see how the new boy does, also a bit of clear round jumping and a few classes at 2ft 6/2ft 9 height. Would also like to do fun rides next year and possibly a mini one day event if I can find somewhere other than our local riding club to compete at.

That's all according if I can drop down a couple of stone so I can get in show gear ;)

what better motivation than a lovely new horse!! ☺️☺️

Surbie

Visit site
I would love Arch's barefoot journey to be continuing well.
I haven't been able to ride for over 2.5 months so also bringing us both back to ridden work would be amazing. If this works and we both stay sound:
- start competing rather than talking about competing
- beach ride sometime in the year
- hack as much as is feasibly possible, wherever I can get to.
- do more groundwork
- pop a very small jump or two

Alibear

Visit site
Our winter goal is to work up to solo hacks :) Then we can cut back on the schooling, just a minimum to keep things ticking over.
Then come spring we can pick things back up again and get ready for another show season.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
We've signed up to a winter Trec league so our main aim over winter is to take part, have fun and try to learn the scoring system :D

I want to keep up our long hacks & keep up our weightloss over winter to hit Spring slim and fit.

If all goes well, I'd like to take part in summer Trec series next year & multi-day rides :)

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Over the winter I want to work on dressage, so aim is to get 60% or over in a prelim. Will also be doing some more SJ and hopefully doing our first 90cm round in the next month or so ??

Next year I’d like to get Pepsi round a BE80
(or maybe even a BE90 at the end of the season) Ideally without entirely disgracing ourselves in the dressage. And (much to my surprise) maybe do some 1m SJ classes, and even some “proper” BS…

J&S

Visit site
At my age my only goal is to keep well and keep going! Same aim for my veteran mare. I am hoping to be able to keep my friend on board with riding the companion pony as we do have some laughs as she is such a good companion herself. Hopefully another year of on-line Trec and Horse Agility and what ever the club throws at us!

Dreamer2020

Visit site
Hi Immy, I always love a Finn update! Hope he enjoys his hols :)
My aims are to get another horse next Spring (been without for 3 years). I should have quite a good budget by then fingers crossed. Also the end of next year I want to finally go on a bucket list trip of a ranch holiday in the states xx