Gob smacked

RatzFatz

Visit site
l hope l dont come across as snob but l find it difficult to get my head round the fact that someone actually transports their horse in this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Horsebox-/160...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item255b40e9a6

l have been looking on ebay for a new lorry as mine is going for plate and am sure its going to fail But there are loads of odd looking boxes on ebay think l may need to look else where!

If this is your box sorry !!!! but l dont think l would drive it

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Post is a bit 'shallow' .......... surely safety is a priority rather than looks, at least it has 11 months test.

If it was all my budget could afford then I would rather have that box than nothing, plus it doesn't make you horse perform any better.

_MizElz_

Visit site
I've seen a lot worse than this, believe me!

My instructor always says: "It's not what you drive, it's what steps out when you let down the ramp that counts." He's so right. We used to rattle around in an old Bedford TK that didnt look much smarter than the lorry you have posted about, but it was safe, sturdy and reliable enough, and did us just fine :D

RatzFatz

Visit site
Did say didnt want to come across as a snob, l have a very old Ford cargo that is unlikely to pass its test which l have owned for 7 years so think its time to find a new one. l also believe its not what the lorry looks like its whats inside that counts. My lorry is old but have been offered over 30K for the horse!

A lorry may have a 11 months test, but this has nothing to do with the safety of the box. The container and floor are not part of the plating. The fact that someone has put a body on a chasis that is too long does not necessary mean its safe to travle horses in

anadain

Visit site
l hope l dont come across as snob but l find it difficult to get my head round the fact that someone actually transports their horse in this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Horsebox-/160...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item255b40e9a6

l have been looking on ebay for a new lorry as mine is going for plate and am sure its going to fail But there are loads of odd looking boxes on ebay think l may need to look else where!

Sorry but you do come across as a snob! You would die if you saw my second hand trailer!:rolleyes:

RatzFatz

Visit site
Sorry l think the point of my post has been lost here. ll have a very old second, third or prob 4th hand lorry, that is old and not pretty picture, As long as what you are transporting your horse in is safe there is not a problem, the problem with the lorry on the picture is that the chasis is too long for the body. Do you think this looks safe to transport a horse or 3 in ?

FlorenceBassey

Visit site
Your more likely to get laughed at for turning up in a posh box then falling off/getting eliminated at the first fence than turning up in a safe yet unattractive box/trailer and winning the class!! my lad loads on anything and as long he's safe and comfortable i couldnt care less what it looks like :D

Janette

Visit site
It looks a bit 'odd' because the body has come off a shorter chassis. Looks aren't everything and as long as it is safe.... I think I would have given it a more thorough clean before advertising it but that's all.

Exactly WHY wouldn't you transport your horse in it?

Maisy

Visit site
I think it looks odd too, and therefore unsafe! I am not saying it IS unsafe, it just looks like the bodywork doesnt 'fit' the chassis.....I think that is how the OP meant the post to sound.....

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Ratzfatz you have deliberately ignored people asking you why YOU think its unsafe-or why you wouldn't travel your horses in it. I don't think you can quite make that judgement about this box without seeing it, so its a bit naughty to the people who are selling it, to be slating it - but not even backing that up.

quirky

Visit site
As an engineer, I looked at that and thought the chassis may be weakened, not by it having been put on a longer chassis necessarily but the changes that have been made to make it fit.

Without looking at it in the flesh and seeing what has been welded where, I don't think I could pass judgement. The look of it wouldn't put me off, the potential weakness of the structure would ensure that I had a damn good engineer come and have a look at it with me.

Angua2

Visit site
Can't see what is wrong with it myself.... can't say it is the most asthetically pleasing lorry, but if it is safe, roadworthy and does the job then what does it matter..... I think it falls into the category of "quirky"

Firewell

Visit site
Im with OP. I don't like it.
Im not a snob, our old lorry was an ancient vw with rust everywhere but I don't like the look of that box... I dont like that the box is so far away from the cab!! If anything happened to your horse how on earth would you know??

It looks unweildy and like a proper hash job of a conversion.

My dad actually made my mums horse box when I was young on the back of a ford chassis and it was MUCH safer looking and smarter than that.

Nope, I dont think it looks safe. I wouldnt buy it. I wouldnt buy a lorry for that little anyway, its bound to have tons wrong with it. Even if the actual box is safe with a good floor and ramp its not much good if your constantly breaking down on the motorway...

Mike007

Visit site
The biggest problem here is going to be one of weight. Although it is probably able to carry 3 big horses and be under 7.5 tonnes overall,I suspect that the back axle would be overloaded. As for how safely the body has been mounted, this applies to any box and there is nothing intrinsicly wrong with this one.

Last edited:

doris2008

Visit site
It does come across as snobby to me.
I don't think it matters at all what the lorry looks like. You would be foolish to buy a smart looking lorry without getting a professional to check its safety.
Smart doesn't equal safe & vice versa.

Mike007

Visit site
It does come across as snobby to me.
I don't think it matters at all what the lorry looks like. You would be foolish to buy a smart looking lorry without getting a professional to check its safety.
Smart doesn't equal safe & vice versa.

Too true, I worked on one that a cutomer had just bought ,everyone was saying what a nice lorry it was. It was actualy ,truely ,a death trap.Needless to say,she hadnt had a mechanic look at it.

nobbster

Visit site
Your more likely to get laughed at for turning up in a posh box then falling off/getting eliminated at the first fence than turning up in a safe yet unattractive box/trailer and winning the class!! my lad loads on anything and as long he's safe and comfortable i couldnt care less what it looks like :D

lol that would be me if i had a posh horse box... my horse has a tendencie of chucking me at the first jump lool iknow it was of the subject but i had to put it.... :)

and i wud not care what it looked like i wud be happy to have transport (as long as it safe tho)

xx

sykokat

Visit site
Ratzfatz.. What do you drive by the way???:confused:
It does appear to be a snobby remark. Some folk can't afford flash lorries and maybe have too may to tow in a trailer, so this would suit.
I have seen alot worse but it usually means that more money is spent on te horses/ponies than the wheels (safe of course).

wildwest

Visit site
sorry im with op its bloody hideous looking lol
id never drive it.
i too have an old cargo but its the shape that makes this one look so odd ;]

jack9

Visit site
i personally dont lke the look of it... however theres nothing wrong with it....

i honestly would appreciate ANY horsebox!

LaurenM

Visit site
It may not look great but providing it was checked over by mechanic before purchased and found to be safe I'd have it. Better than nothing (providing it's fit for purpose). Would prefer that they showed more pictures of the inside rather than of the sides!

To the person that said they wouldn't like because the cab is not part of the structure (so to speak) - surely you would be in the same position if you had a car and box!

BeckyX

Blue - lives at Arundel castle :D lushhhh,,, I liv
Visit site

i agree i don't like the look of it.. doesn't look too safe ... not snobby at all :)

Mike007

Visit site
2010_0326misc0003.jpg
I have been trying to sell this one but nobody has even made any enquirys. It was cheap enough. Is it the look that puts people off from an otherwise reliable lorry?

SpottedCat

Visit site
I wouldnt buy a lorry for that little anyway, its bound to have tons wrong with it. Even if the actual box is safe with a good floor and ramp its not much good if your constantly breaking down on the motorway...

That's really not true you know - my first lorry was an £1800 bedford - it ran for 2 years, passed the MOT every year with minimal work and never once broke down. It ran and ran. I retired it due to rust on the cab which meant I got wet - nothing else wrong with it!

Mike007

Visit site
I totaly agree with you spotted Cat. In my photo above,you can just see to the left a ford eurocargo, ,A pretty lorry to look at and bought for five times the asking price on the leyland. Unfortunately the buyer didnt have it checked out by a mechanic. Its first outing (to the test station),resulted in an immediate prohibition,and over £2000 in work(should have cost double this,actualy).It is still a piece of junk, the money spent was merely to clear the prohibition and get a test cert.It will never be reliable without a lot more being spent, yet the ugly Leyland would work all day every day. It really makes no sense to me.

BBH

Visit site
I think its horrible,

its not that its old or scruffy its that the cab looks like its pulling a caravan conversion :confused: