Going crossed eyed with B lisence

rsm100

New User
Visit site
Hi all, so as you can tell by my title, this is about towing.

So my OH is the one with the horse, but is useless with anything that includes insurance and technical things and paperwork... so for example he’s just go out buy a jeep and a horse box that he could afford and that’s all good to go!

But we both have B lisences, and he knows he can’t do that ha ha.

So we have a limit of 4K on a car/jeep for pulling and 1-2k for a trailer,

Now this vehicle needs to be able to be a second car aswell as we need one,

It also needs to be able to pull a trailer and ...

The trailer and the horse box and the horse all need to be able to be driven with a B lisence ha ha,

So my question is, all those with B lisences, what are you driving and pulling and what weight is your horse?

I know your thinking “just do the test” but we can’t afford two people to go through it, so it’s easier for us to be able to just jump in and go!

Our horse is 16’2, weighing in 600kg ISH.

Any help would be greatly appriecated, I’ve been looking and researching for 2 days and I’m at my wits end!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
You need to go to 'the towing clinic' over in competing and training I think... ROG will help you. He's ace at this towing lark.

rsm100

New User
Visit site
You need to go to 'the towing clinic' over in competing and training I think... ROG will help you. He's ace at this towing lark.

I’ve read through all that post(when I say read through I mean I’ve read a few pages then realised it’s 300+ pages long! So I thought I’d ask what other B lisenced people are using.

ROG

Visit site

I am already assisting the OP in that thread

I think that it is a good idea to ask what B licence set ups others are using as it might give the OP some ideas

rsm100

New User
Visit site
I am already assisting the OP in that thread

I think that it is a good idea to ask what B licence set ups others are using as it might give the OP some ideas

Thank ROG. I thought it would just be easier to see what all the B’s had as a setup so I know what to look for.

coss

Visit site
I used to drive a honda CRV and towed a single ifor williams trailer... I currently drive a vauxhall antara and tow the same trailer. I passed my trailer test before changing car... just checked and the antara GVW is 2345kg
My CR-V was the older model - 55plate tow had a tow capacity of 1500kg and GVW of 2000kg so came in with the correct spec. Single IW 403 is 767kg without a horse in. So you could put a 600kg horse in taking you to 1367kg. Even If you downplated the box to 1400kg you couldn't have an antara :(
But with an approximation of 1367kg for single box and your horse you've probably got a lot of choice of vehicle if you don't go down the 4x4 route.

Counterpoint

Visit site
I have a B+E so it MAY be different, but I tow with a diesel Mondeo Estate. Its my only car and I do 300+ miles a week in it, does about 50mpg on motorways/country lanes/town driving and can tow 1800kg.
My horse is 650ky and I use an Ifor Williams 505 but with the partition out for weight and comfort purposes, that makes my tow combination about 1400kg.

ROG

Visit site
I have a B+E so it MAY be different, but I tow with a diesel Mondeo Estate. Its my only car and I do 300+ miles a week in it, does about 50mpg on motorways/country lanes/town driving and can tow 1800kg.
My horse is 650ky and I use an Ifor Williams 505 but with the partition out for weight and comfort purposes, that makes my tow combination about 1400kg.

Mondeo GVW is about 2000
HB505 MAM is 2340 with it being about 900 empty
Total MAM/GVW = 4340 so over the 3500 for B towing

Down plating the 505 from 2340 to 1500 to make it legal for B towing would only leave about 600 for the trailer load so no good for a 650 horse

That means this needs B+E for towing

I think your actual towing weight is between 1550 and 1600 not 1400

Breagha

Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but is it not illegal to tow a trailer that say has a 2200 max weight with a vehicle that say can only tow 1800? Does that make sense?
My OH who is a HGV mechanic with experience with all sorts of trailers and laws said that the vehicle has to have a higher towing capacity than the horse box say?

ROG

Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but is it not illegal to tow a trailer that say has a 2200 max weight with a vehicle that say can only tow 1800? Does that make sense?
My OH who is a HGV mechanic with experience with all sorts of trailers and laws said that the vehicle has to have a higher towing capacity than the horse box say?
There is no law or rule which states that the vehicle towing capacity has to be able to accommodate the trailer plated MAM

Legal example
Vehicle GVW 2100 + GVW 4100 + towing capacity 2000
Trailer MAM 3500 + 900 empty
Load for trailer is max 1100

If anyone says that is wrong because it has the POTENTIAL to be over loaded then I say this - my car has the POTENTIAL to do 70 in a 30 so I must be breaking the law every time I am doing 30 in a 30 limit !!!!!

Last edited: