Going from one horse to two?

Achinghips

Visit site
Thinking of this. I have no children and work full time, but I'm no spring chicken.
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons, please?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Pros

you have one to ride if one goes lame
you have a horse for a friend to ride
they are company for each other

con

double the livery bills
double the rugs
double all other bills like teeth vacines
double the work

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Ditto the above. Don't get sucked into the trap of thinking that its not much more expensive, it is double.

We have three, and I love them all to bits, and wouldn't change a thing, but I do look back on the days when I just had my mare, and had all my time to dedicate to her - her tack was always clean, she was always trimmed/pulled/clipped when she needed to be - now she's in a queue! I also had a life and the odd bit of spare money! Now we come in from the stables in winter and collapse. Our friends call us the hermits on the hill!

canteron

Visit site
Be very sure why you are doing it!!!

Never believe anyone who says they will help you exercise - they will, on beautiful Autumn mornings!! In the meantime, you will be working your whatnots off in all weathers keeping them worked enough to be sane.

To be honest, if I was doing it again, I would stick to one, but treat myself to more riding holidays/schooling trips.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I echo the money aspect. I thought two wouldn't cost much more than one. It does. It costs exactly double. The time side of things I don't find much worse though.

BigRed

Visit site
I have two, but the pony is for companion duties only. I do not think I would have the time nor inclination to ride two horses. If I didn't work full time maybe it would be different, but when I get home from work, I have horses, dogs and a husband to look after and there just isn't enough time for everything.

Milanesa

Visit site
It is mostly a fInancial issue. I have 3 and yes it costs alot! However mine ride and lead so I exercise them together most days so time isn't too much of an issue. If u can afford it I love having more than one but yes they aren't pristine like when I just had one, I take the same amount of time just spread it out among them!! What's reason for another one ??

flirtygerty

Visit site
I work full time, mature and have two to look after.
To be honest, as much as I love them, it is hard work especially
in the winter, my OH helps when he can but normally it's down to
me. I often resort to taking bridles into work on nightshifts to clean,
I think I would prefer to give one horse my full attention than juggle time
the way I do now

Ladylina83

Visit site
I have 2 but 1 is mother and the other her son so I still have 2 years to go before he can do any proper work - It is double costs yes but if you can lead both to the field at the same time and do thier haynets at the same time muck out one after the other etc it doesn't really feel like double the work. If you were riding both it may be hard to fit it all in

tinap

Visit site
I've only had ponies for the daughter but we went from 2 to 1 & its the best thing we ever did!!! She's 15 so not a child that can't/won't do anything!! Having just the one has given her more time to spend giving him all her attention, she has time to muck out as I used to do it while she rode, which she hated because she loves to do it!! She does miss competing 2 but finances mean she can do more on this one with the cash we're saving & she's managed to grab a ride on a youngster at a local livery yard which costs us nothing & only have to go down for a few hours a week!!!!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Pros

you have one to ride if one goes lame

Not if they're both lame :(

you have a horse for a friend to ride

Not if one or both of them is lame :(

they are company for each other

Not if they don't get on in the field and you have to separate them...:(

con

double the livery bills
double the rugs
double all other bills like teeth vacines
double the work

Yep....! And double the chance of you getting accidentally injured as well.

I got a second horse 2 years ago, he was my dream competition horse, but has injured himself, is not recovering and is going to be PTS. Am I going to get another one? Despite all the above....yes, but that doesn't mean I would recommend it...;)

Achinghips

Visit site
My girl has spavins and so my education has stopped - I can't canter or jump or even school her much - I have had her 1 and a half years and have only cantered her 6 times, due to her lameness. She' s also not easy to hack alone, has seasons from hell and isn't very loving. Basically, she is unsellable, but I feel a big responsibility to her, so she's my moneypit for life. (Tb chestnut mare - need I say more?), I have had her hocks injected to encourage fusion. she's on full livery at £433 per month and aother £30 for her danilon.
I have seen a big nailed to the floor, live on fresh air, safe sort I could take to the beach, without his head exploding...... I'm thinking of putting them both on diy in the same place, for £200 total per month.

I am in a big quandry:(

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I know where you're coming from (which is why I am getting another one again).

Have you done DIY before? It's hard work, and believe me, the £200 total cost will probably NOT be the total cost. There are always more things to pay for - I spend almost as much on mine on DIY as I did when I was on full livery. Do you have the finances to cope if you need to spend more out?

Do you have far to go to work - do you get flexible working hours? Always a bonus if you do.

Why don't you put your mare on DIY for a few months first, and see how you get on doing one, and then you can think again. You will also be through winter by then.

tinap

Visit site
Just thought of something I read on HHO yesterday that someone went from 1 to 2 as a companion for number 1, but then had to get another as a companion for number 2 as it stressed when took number 1 out!!!

Achinghips

Visit site
I know where you're coming from (which is why I am getting another one again).

Have you done DIY before? It's hard work, and believe me, the £200 total cost will probably NOT be the total cost. There are always more things to pay for - I spend almost as much on mine on DIY as I did when I was on full livery. Do you have the finances to cope if you need to spend more out?

Do you have far to go to work - do you get flexible working hours? Always a bonus if you do.

Why don't you put your mare on DIY for a few months first, and see how you get on doing one, and then you can think again. You will also be through winter by then.

Thanks for understanding. I am so frustrated. Yes I've done DIY before and know it inside out. Yes, I am a doctor as is my husband, so we have the finances to cope and our mortgage is neally paid off. My work is 1 mile away, the diy, half a mile. Yes I work flexibley. I don't want to let this new one slip through my fingers - he's a hard sort to find - 16.3 ID

AshTay

Visit site
I went from 1 (retired) to 3 quite quickly. It is hard in terms of time - I work full time but no kids (but two dogs and a hubby). I'm lucky in that our YO is fantastic and I have support in the winter but I know it will be hard. At least one of my 3 will live out all year and I'm expecting one of the others to be in overnight and the other in during the day. They're all in seperate fields (with other horses) on account of their needs (one fatty, one skinny and one mare).

Three is obviously more time (and money) but I see other owners with one sat for half an hour with a coffee gossiping but i don't do that - I crack on and I make sure that each horse has attention everyday and I rotate who has the most attention each day so that they all get quality time from me.

Tonight - I plan to ride one boy, bring the retired boy in for a feed (as I do everynight) and check on the third one in the field. Last night I groomed and rode one and had the other two in for a feed and a quick ten minute groom each. I think I was at the yard for two hours in all. But it's summer so no mucking out and I don't have to poo-pick at the moment.

In the winter I won't be able to ride in the week :(

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I don't want to let this new one slip through my fingers - he's a hard sort to find - 16.3 ID

He sounds like the sort I'm after....can I buy him instead?!

Agree with jesstickle, sounds like you've thought it through, you've been there before with DIY - go for it! I feel all excited for you :D

ironhorse

Visit site
I've got two - one theoretically belongs to my OH but he will only ride in the week if he is preparing for a comp, and would rather only do one weekend day in the winter (in fairness he is the MD of an international company and works long hours!)
Both are on full livery, and the theory was that the mare was going to be in foal this winter and not need riding, but she is not in foal and thus needs riding. The youngster is theoretically in training, but I try to ride him as often as possible and he's my responsibility if the trainer is at a show or away teaching.
I think the answer is not to expect too much of yourself - I run my own business, and altho in theory I have a lot of freedom, I have a lot of deadlines to meet and work some odd hours. So if I'm focusing on the youngster, who takes a lot of energy, the mare has a day off or goes in the round pen. We have very limited turnout in winter, and the mare can be tricky in cold weather but she will lunge or long rein if I don' t feel like riding, or she's happy with a mooch in the round pen and some grazing in hand. I'm hoping the youngster will be the same this winter, tho I doubt it!
Not sure I could do it if they were on DIY, I seem to spend hours at the yard anyway!

NW-K

Visit site
I went from 1 to 2 just as I qualified as a doctor (owner offered to pay for the 2nd so would have been stupid to refuse) Had them both on DIY with 5 days in a row of on-calls and was tiring but perfectly doable so sounds like you won't have any problems! Definitely worth doing and the one you're considering sounds lovely - good luck!

traceyann

Visit site
I have four dont do it stick with one. god me and rescue horses im gonna go round with my eyes closed from now on. The horse meat market is on in france in october guess whos going.

Chez

Visit site
I've got four, although 1 is a 2yo and 1 is my old retired mare so only two ridden.

Pros if one goes lame Ive still got one to ride, they've always got company, friends can ride out with me, I LOVE riding and leading (it's so wonderful taking them both out together!), I get two chances at shows ;)

Cons it's hard work, especially in winter where at my current yard the turnout is very restricted, it costs a fortune(!!), I'm often feel guilty if one has had more attention than the others.

Bangagin

Visit site
I went from one to two horses 4 years ago when my TB was retired through an injury. I could never have a horse PTS through lameness as long as they are sound enough to enjoy life in the field. I found cheaper livery for two of them and I would have struggled to keep two horses in work, but I don't find looking after two much more work than I do one!

However, it is definitely cheaper having one. :)

Visit site
Pros
You can ride everyday (or twice a day!) and still give each at least a day off each
You can keep your first horse which gives you confidence and have something a little more challenging to work with
You can keep them together

Cons
Double to cost and double the time!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I went from one to two last year when I decided that my old boy needed a quieter life and I wanted another horse to bring on.

I'm not sure there are any pros

Cons - more cost, longer to muck out and do, and you start to feel like you are neglecting the first horse a bit.

If I lost one of mine and was only left with one (hopefully that's a long time away), I'm not sure I would get another to replace the one I lost. Sorry I can't be more positive!