going off to uni, any other options other than to sell?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks milliepops, lizzierc and ester

Have already taken gap year so can't really defer another year I don't think :/ Lizzierc that is what I will do! I think will see how I am managing with studies and fitting horses in and will take it from there.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your advice/experiences.

Two of my friends took a double gap year as they were really unsure what they wanted to do, both are very happy in their chosen careers, where others did last minute swaps etc too. There are options if you start and options if you don't and having such a fab horse is complicating things a bit emotionally and making the step seem even bigger and more life altering I would suggest. This being someone who hates change and did resist moving for jobs later than they probably should have because of a bloomin pony and is currently struggling because I have just sent him 80 miles away and likely to be further because it is the best thing for him now he is getting on.

Fwiw I applied for vet but didn't get in, ended up doing biology but with friends doing vet at the same time, another has just finished at the RVC this year, I will link the post in case she has anything useful to add. I did my PhD at bristol langford site hence my multiple vet exposure and many of them doing research instead of being jobbing vets etc too :), in the end things usually have a way of working out :).

rara007

Visit site
Hi! A few words from an outgoing RVC student (goodness knows where those 6 years (D101 course) went.....

Firstly some dates so you have some idea of the structure of the year- (these may have changed since I was doing them but as an idea)

This years first years end of year exams finished on 16th June. Over the first 2 years you need to do 12 weeks of AHEMS, depending on how 'farm' your home area is you might be able to do these from home- you need to do 2 weeks minimum of sheep (I went to a paid lambing placement miles from home, but it was paid), 2 weeks pigs (I took the opportunity to do it abroad, as I could!), 2 equine, 2 diary (I had to stay away from home for this too) and then what ever else you feel like. Generally the sheep you'll do in your first year easter holiday, whilst starting to revise for the end of year exams.

Secondly how it went for me, horsey wise:

I tried to keep my pony during first year, whilst living in halls by uni and it simply wasn't viable. I am lucky that home is only 50 miles away but because you can't have your car in London really, getting home was a faff and very expensive. Still went home most weekends (A lot of the socials are mid week as quite a few people do do other things at the weekends), but couldn't maintain it, and also played uni polo. Some people did keep their horses quite close to Camden, but they were mainly foreign students with larger budgets.... Pony went out on loan! From 2nd year I then commuted from Potters Bar, which is a bit of a faff still but meant I had my car and could get home more often so I was able to do more with my horses. Stopped Polo and started riding team! We have a very strong riding team with members being on the british team, I went to regionals 3 times and nationals once and it's awesome fun. In general there has been very little training associated with it though, so 'just' the 4 league events and 4 training sessions. There is a riding club too but I was never involved in that. Second year on I have managed to keep my ponies (I am very fortunate that they are literally ponies, and they stay at home with my horsey family so mucking out wise and money wise was not a concern), and for me, my priorities are such that I don't feel I missed out on anything. I have not competed as much as I would like to have done- last summer I spent 5 weeks away abroad on awesome placements, the summer before I spent 10 weeks away on an awesome course, and exams fall relatively far into the season. I could no where near have afforded to have one on livery there, though there are a few yards heavily populated by RVC around the potters bar area. Plenty of those horses as well as RVC staff once are often available for share..... People do manage to work through a lot of the course, though I am not sure I could have coped with that on top, but if needs must people can. But I don't think that'd stretch to higher level competing, more just survival!

Polo induction day= 8th oct, riding team try outs tend to be about sept 30th.....

Then in terms of the course itself, it is certainly not a given that by starting BVetMed you will become a first opinion vet. There are opportunities to intercalate or to finish after 3 years with a 'normal' degree. That said, it is tough (personally as a more practical person first two years in an academic sense, and then the hours in the last few years are intense), and if you're already not sure if that is what you want, it could be a struggle. If you did want to go down the alternate careers route, a lot of those you can do off of a 3 year degree, without such intense rotations and placements. I have no doubt you would be more than capable of managing- I did! But I know a couple who went into the degree not wanting to really ever be vets, and it was a struggle for them to keep the motivation up. I have one friend now at LSE and one at a law school, and another that finished their degree at an ag. college, so you are by no means trapped in once you start, but fees are vast now! You would certainly not be 'old' in the year having done a double 'gap' year either. Do you know 'where' you want to be in 10 years time?

Landmark97

Visit site
Two of my friends took a double gap year as they were really unsure what they wanted to do, both are very happy in their chosen careers, where others did last minute swaps etc too. There are options if you start and options if you don't and having such a fab horse is complicating things a bit emotionally and making the step seem even bigger and more life altering I would suggest. This being someone who hates change and did resist moving for jobs later than they probably should have because of a bloomin pony and is currently struggling because I have just sent him 80 miles away and likely to be further because it is the best thing for him now he is getting on.

Fwiw I applied for vet but didn't get in, ended up doing biology but with friends doing vet at the same time, another has just finished at the RVC this year, I will link the post in case she has anything useful to add. I did my PhD at bristol langford site hence my multiple vet exposure and many of them doing research instead of being jobbing vets etc too :), in the end things usually have a way of working out :).

Thanks Ester:) have decided at present that we are keeping him until the end of this year and see how my little sister is getting on with him and whether I am coping with work and riding. May well end up selling him in the spring or even mid winter. It is nice to hear that lots of qualified vets are working in research and not necessarily practicing as vets as previously felt like the degree didn't give you many options...

Landmark97

Visit site
Hi! A few words from an outgoing RVC student (goodness knows where those 6 years (D101 course) went.....

Firstly some dates so you have some idea of the structure of the year- (these may have changed since I was doing them but as an idea)

This years first years end of year exams finished on 16th June. Over the first 2 years you need to do 12 weeks of AHEMS, depending on how 'farm' your home area is you might be able to do these from home- you need to do 2 weeks minimum of sheep (I went to a paid lambing placement miles from home, but it was paid), 2 weeks pigs (I took the opportunity to do it abroad, as I could!), 2 equine, 2 diary (I had to stay away from home for this too) and then what ever else you feel like. Generally the sheep you'll do in your first year easter holiday, whilst starting to revise for the end of year exams.

Secondly how it went for me, horsey wise:

I tried to keep my pony during first year, whilst living in halls by uni and it simply wasn't viable. I am lucky that home is only 50 miles away but because you can't have your car in London really, getting home was a faff and very expensive. Still went home most weekends (A lot of the socials are mid week as quite a few people do do other things at the weekends), but couldn't maintain it, and also played uni polo. Some people did keep their horses quite close to Camden, but they were mainly foreign students with larger budgets.... Pony went out on loan! From 2nd year I then commuted from Potters Bar, which is a bit of a faff still but meant I had my car and could get home more often so I was able to do more with my horses. Stopped Polo and started riding team! We have a very strong riding team with members being on the british team, I went to regionals 3 times and nationals once and it's awesome fun. In general there has been very little training associated with it though, so 'just' the 4 league events and 4 training sessions. There is a riding club too but I was never involved in that. Second year on I have managed to keep my ponies (I am very fortunate that they are literally ponies, and they stay at home with my horsey family so mucking out wise and money wise was not a concern), and for me, my priorities are such that I don't feel I missed out on anything. I have not competed as much as I would like to have done- last summer I spent 5 weeks away abroad on awesome placements, the summer before I spent 10 weeks away on an awesome course, and exams fall relatively far into the season. I could no where near have afforded to have one on livery there, though there are a few yards heavily populated by RVC around the potters bar area. Plenty of those horses as well as RVC staff once are often available for share..... People do manage to work through a lot of the course, though I am not sure I could have coped with that on top, but if needs must people can. But I don't think that'd stretch to higher level competing, more just survival!

Polo induction day= 8th oct, riding team try outs tend to be about sept 30th.....

Then in terms of the course itself, it is certainly not a given that by starting BVetMed you will become a first opinion vet. There are opportunities to intercalate or to finish after 3 years with a 'normal' degree. That said, it is tough (personally as a more practical person first two years in an academic sense, and then the hours in the last few years are intense), and if you're already not sure if that is what you want, it could be a struggle. If you did want to go down the alternate careers route, a lot of those you can do off of a 3 year degree, without such intense rotations and placements. I have no doubt you would be more than capable of managing- I did! But I know a couple who went into the degree not wanting to really ever be vets, and it was a struggle for them to keep the motivation up. I have one friend now at LSE and one at a law school, and another that finished their degree at an ag. college, so you are by no means trapped in once you start, but fees are vast now! You would certainly not be 'old' in the year having done a double 'gap' year either. Do you know 'where' you want to be in 10 years time?

Wow thank you so much, this is so helpful. SOoo would love to try polo! Not sure I'll have the coins to spare however. Will rummage RVC website to check EMS requirements. Okay, I had no idea that you could have some sort of degree by studying the BVetMed course for less than the 5 years. Hopefully I will manage to get a flexible part-time job somewhere! I don't want to do a second gap year because I would only sink deeper into the horsey industry! Come September 2017 I'm not sure I'd be any more committed. Oh my in 10 years..haha I really don't know/don't want to know! I'd like to be content and good at whatever I am doing..whether I am a vet or artist or eventing wannabe or drop-out bum. Seriously though, I am really looking forward to getting back to studying and meeting lots of new people!

Polos

Visit site
hi, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I go to university next week, I'ts very exciting but also very sad :(

We've made the decision to downsize from 3 and I'm keeping one of my mares who is my horse of a lifetime (She's taken me from 70cm to international 1.35's) who I know if I sell (whilst she's worth a decent amount) I'll never find or be able to afford another horse like her. I'm in the fortunate position that my trainer will take her for me whilst im at uni and I'll come home as much as I can to ride.

Landmark97

Visit site
:( Where you off to? That's really good, will hopefully do that too but he will be ridden by my mum and sister in the week who I hope will get on with him OK. That's exactly how I feel! I know I will regret it if I sell him now as he is so cool and won't have funds to buy a horse like him in the near future. I at least want to give uni and riding a go as I don't think he will lose value..