Going rates for DIY/part/full livery?

marmalade76

Visit site
As it's your own yard, I think I would do some sniffing around for the right sort of person - ie someone you have a fighting chance of getting on well with. Maybe someone who's a friend of friends, or something like that. Then if you have ballpark figures worked out for the various kinds of livery, you can offer them whatever setup they need. Given that you seem able to offer any amount of services, I would prioritise finding the right person over advertising any particuar kind of livery. But as the others have said I would avoid full livery - I wouldn't want full responsibility for someone else's animal, all the time, no matter how much they were paying.

FWIW I pay about £260 per month assisted DIY, including forage and very basic feed. Ours tend to stay out 24/7 as we have well managed grazing but it also includes straw if they have to come in for a few weeks over winter. We have YO on site, a really nice outdoor floodlit arena, and good hacking. But I'm in N Yorkshire so I suspect it may not be all that comparable - I am regularly appalled by what people pay for livery Down South! Good luck working it all out and finding someone, I hope it's successful and brings in a bit of useful extra money.

P.S. If you take on a livery does that affect the rates and insurance etc that you pay on the yard? I am clueless about such things but I'd probably be worried about that.

You are absolutely right and these are things YOs & I have been discussing, having the right person is far more important than any potential money making for both myself & YOs (yard is right outside their back door after all!) I'm a bit of a soft touch as it is so will probably end up doing most of the work for DIY price anyway! It's about having some company for both myself & my horse whilst keeping my costs down by not funding a second horse myself. The other option I've considered is getting a second horse and a sharer but this can be a minefield too and OH in not keen on this idea.

OH & I already run a business and was thinking about contacting the NFU to see if we can have it tacked onto that in some way.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Afternoon. Having lost my companion (a horse I had on loan from a friend that she decided to have back after sadly losing her other horse) I thinking about taking on a livery at my rented yard - it would be nice to have some company, someone to ride with whilst saving/possibly making some money at the same time. OH is dead against me getting another myself and with current horse prices & rising bills, I can't blame him!

We have all year round turnout available, large 12×14 airy rubber matted stables, running water, electric, school with jumps, ok hacking - a few bridleways, ex horse owning YOs living on site & retired so there most of the time meaning it's safe & secure, share with one gelding. My hubby & I do all ground work, remove muck, etc and we would include hay & straw (OH makes it). I could offer DIY, part or full livery, as a lady of leisure, I have the time. So what should one charge with these facilities? We're north Gloucestershire if that makes any difference.
Cheers :)
Ours is DIY with optional assistance, and it’s £31 pw for stable, grazing(24hr March to November) 40x40 arena, lots of off road hacking and other chargeable facilities. All I’ll say OP is don’t forget to get liability insurance, it’s an absolute must to protect you and the owners against litigation should the worst happen ?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
??

£10 a day for turn out / bring in & muck out? When I say full livery, I was thinking this, in other words basic care + basic feed provided, no exercising or tack cleaning.

Yeah, you’d leave the hay/water in and filled more as a common courtesy I think as she would have done them, but it included everything else.

teapot

Visit site
Cripes, where abouts is that? South East, I'm guessing?

Indeed - Sussex. Was close to four figures in my both my last jobs for full. Friend is paying £1200 per month for full livery in Surrey and that’s still over an hour from London with limited/non 24/7 turnout.

Last edited:

usaequestrian

Visit site
You do realise H&H primarily a UK forum though right? I know there are members from the US, Ireland around Europe but its mainly a UK based forum.
Yes, I realized that. But I joined anyway because there's really no forums like this in the U.S that I'm aware of.

Birker2020

Visit site
65m x 45m outdoor school, indoor school approx 30m x 30m (no good for riding), massive stables, indoor walker, plenty of storage, individual paddocks that are plenty big enough or turnout with others in same sex groups in 55 acres post and rail and mains electric. Set of show jumps, dressage markers, SJ/XC field to ride in, another to ride around. Washbox hot /cold water. Trailer and lorry parking. Any instructor/vet/physio permitted, loads of storage for hay/straw/shavings and other bits and bobs. Assisted DIY with competent staff on duty most of the day around £230-£250 per month depending on Summer or winter. DIY on its own is about £48 per week.

Warwickshire.

LegOn

Visit site
Yes, I realized that. But I joined anyway because there's really no forums like this in the U.S that I'm aware of.

Of course, you are very welcome, everyone is! Its always great to get different viewpoints on training or riding, but just when it comes to specific questions about living in the UK, you dont seem to mind your advice is very out context - it is appreciated but I know myself there is no point in contributing to a post about costs in the UK when I'm in Ireland, its just a bit random!

If it helps, there is a very similar forum in the US called Chrono of the Horse:

https://forum.chronofhorse.com/

I'm Dun

Visit site

chronicle of the horse is the big american horse forum. No reason why you cant be a member here, but it does get a bit annoying when the first few posts are you commenting totally irrelevant things about prices. I'm sure you have lots of other things to contribute that people would love to hear :)