Going the whole hog....

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I keep having it suggested to me that I hog and de-feather my big cob (loan horse). Im not usually a fan as I like them hairy lol but I admit to being curious and thinking he'd look smart :)

BUT I have questions...

* Can he be hogged and de-feathered without having to clip the horse part..?? He doesn't need clipping (though a bib clip probably wouldn't go amiss).
* His mane is a pain snd part falls over the other side...will it be easier to retrain it if he's hogged and regrown..??
* How often will it need to be redone to maintain it..??
* Will he look a complete tit...??!!

ETA: I casuallymentionedit to his owner who says I can do as I please lol

20190704_192307_resize_53.jpg

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I guess my question would be why?

If he was mine I'd take it all off and the feathers, as I think he'd look quite smart. But also because he'd be in hard work 6 days a week/kept in overnight and I can't be arsed faffing with extra hair that needs maintenance and makes them get more sweaty.

However if he's not doing much and hacking occasionally, I don't see much benefit and the feather and mane will protect him from the elements.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I should say it's because I'd like to show him next year in hand and he's a bit big and not hairy enough for native type cob classes. I figured doing it now would give me chance to grow it back for the following year if I hate it ?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Beast is hogged and leg trimmed without clipping the rest. She does look smarter in winter with clipped neck too but we didn't last winter and it's fine if you have a steady hand. And if not you just get a little dink or two into the winter coat.

Needs redone about once a month to keep it a hog. Beast currently sporting a mohawk again!

She doesn't have big feather so we just use scissors on legs but am sure you can clip feather without having to clip the rest of the leg too.

I think any horse with a decent neck looks smart hogged.

L&M

Visit site
Having always owned cobs that have been hogged and trimmed, I am suprised to say I think he looks lovely as he is - especially with the contrasting mane colour. What a pretty chap......!

Anyhow to answer your questions, mine is hogged every 4-5 weeks, and yes you can clip the feathers without fulling clipping (I do this in the summer), just concentrate from the behind the knee down and blend in as well as you can.

We hogged my partners tb mare last hunting season to save time on plaiting, and her mane has grown back fine, but still parts in the middle as it did pre hog. It did take a while to come back though and was around July/aug before it had returned fully. But at least it has not come back like a bog brush!

The other thing to consider is how is he with clippers, especially around his legs and top of his head? Some horses don't like these areas being clipped and would hate for you to end up with the job half done.

jnb

Visit site
How much bone does he have? Need a good 9" of flat (not round) bone to look really good trimmed up. How big is he (bearing in mind the height limit for show cobs - not Maxis - is 15.1hh but in reality they're a good 15.2hh plus.
How does he move? Much knee action?

I'm wondering if he's more a Native type although I have previously said I'd love to see him hogged.

I hog my HW every 2-3 weeks all year round and trim his legs below the knee, using Covercote blades as he has white legs and pink skin and I hate the scalped, folded skin look on legs. I don't clip his body all year round, I give him an Irish Clip (today) and once Christmas has been and gone, I Hunter clip him so his coat grows through evenly, I use the Covercotes as he's roan and it keeps the colour better plus he lives out so fairer on him!
Come and see mine if you like, I'm not far from you?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok thanks for the replies everyone...I have just ordered a measuring stick but he's at least 15hh, he has 10.5 inches of bone and is built like the proverbial outhouse ?? (I still don't really know how to tell if the bone is round or flat ??)
I'm surprised people think he's pony looking, his head is massive ???
He doesn't care about clippers etc. I absolutely hate pulled manes so it's got to either be hogged or natural...though Rex has a pulled, but not short, mane.
I like him hairy, I prefer hairier the better lol but am curious to see what he'd look like in sports cob mode ??

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Yeah I was thinking he probably needs to keep the feather for winter. I think I will probably leave him as he is...I don't know if I have the courage to do it all ?? Maybe in spring......
I can't pull him mane....it's one of my horsey pet hates. I have to do Rex as he isn't the right type for hogging or leaving natural but I hate the way it looks ?

cauda equina

Visit site
One of mine has the most massive mane, and I won't pull either.
I cut off the bottom 8'' with scissors and did the rest with a tail rake. It looks fine and is far more manageable now

Nasicus

Visit site
I wouldn't do it, he's gorgeous as it is, but then he's just my type so I'm probably biased!
It would take bloody aaages for the mane and particularly the feather to grow back in again properly. Not to mention the maintenance work to keep the mane hogged and feet looking smart and not like fuzzy pipecleaners!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Because he lives out I don't mess with feather over the winter...I slap pig oil on when I get the chance and leave them be. People get all horrified about that but in all the years I've kept hairy footed horses none have ever had mud fever ?‍♀️?‍♀️