going to look at small yard on sunday!!

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Going to look at stables and land for rent on Sunday – what should I
be asking and looking for?? I am taking a friend (or two!)

There are 3 large brick built stables, large tack room and 5 acres for
rent in 10 mins from home. Would have another person up there if owner
allowed it - if not cant do it!

£100 a week but no other bills i.e. electricity, water rates, land and
building maintenance is included. (seems a lot of money though:D)

At the moment I don’t know anything else about it – what should my
list of question include.

Fencing type and quality. Horse friendly (sheep friendly for
occasional grazing).

Pasture type and quality. Waterlogging. Poached. Dries up too much?
drinking water in fields? Poisonous plants / trees. Sour land.

Muck heap - location, size currently - ease of getting it taken away.

Security (his house is next to land so good )

Shelter – natural or possible to put in a field shelter.

Usefulness of field layout ie can it be split, is there somewhere to
school. Could I set up a track system.

Hacking

Parking for trailer

What does owner understand by field maintenance.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
That seems quite expensive to me, last year i was renting somewhere with 4 acres, 2 stables, a barn, and a tackroom with electric and water and it cost £200 a month. The field maintenance was my responsibility though, although when he saw my attempt at fencing he did take pity on me and take over doing that.

No idea what to look for apart from checking fencing etc

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Sounds like you're asking the right questions. You'd be better walking around the land yourself looking for poisonous plants and looking at fencing than asking the owner, who may not know. I don't think it sounds expensive with bills included and maintenance, with three large brick stables and the privacy of your own yard..

ps. two horse field shelter, five acres and no water/elec rents for £60pw here.

miss_c

Visit site
Questions sound good to me. Get it very clear what is your responsibility and what is theirs.

If it helps any I pay £50/week for my yard - 2 stables, 12x24 locked barn, 12x12 open barn, school, and approx 3 1/2 acres. They do fencing and maintenance for me although any little things I just sort myself.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Hi

Plan was to look for nasties myself and check fencing myself.

It would need to be cheaper since that amount is more than I can comfortably afford even with another person there - and I dont want to overstretch myself financially. need money for carrots!

Faro

Visit site
For this part of the country (I'm in the next county to you) I think £100/week for that is about right. Up until 2 years ago I was paying £380/month for a similar set up - just under 8 acres, 2 stables, dreadful fencing(!!!), water. Electric was extra. Loved the place, and the price was right for around here - however farmer gave me notice as he decided to redevelop.

LCobby

Visit site
Price for location looks ablout right.
From the owners point of view, subdividing paddock may be ok but they might want a natural looking fence, not white posts and tape everywhere. (You can get good dark green posts and green or brown electric tape)
Check access times too - in case the main entrance is near to house.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
It makes me appreciate how cheap my current livery is - £183 a month inc. all haylage and straw and access to 2 menages etc etc. It would be cheaper to have two there than have this place even with a another person.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Well - I like it. three big stables, huge tackroom / tea room / rug drying area / feed room, smallish areas for straw and bigger area for hay storage. Good lighting and power to all stables plus huge spot light for yard area, two taps.

Grazing looks a bit sparse to me but he assures me it looks better in summer. Good shelter form range if hedges and a little wooded area as well.
No restrictions on time I could go there, or for anyone else to have a horse there as long as only one person deals with him. Dogs allowed.

His house overlooks it so secure but reasonably private.

Electricity included, repairs included, hard standing for lorry and muck heap. He removes the muck heap. He has hay field and hay available from there - looks nice enough hay. (didnt ask how much a bale).

Only worries are: there is a lot of moss in the grass in one area - what to do about that. Its barbed wire fencing. There is a bridlepath on one side and a footpath along another so possibility of loose dogs, horses, trail bikes etc going past. No toilet. Oak trees and conifers - poisonous?? Carp pond - unfenced.

Shall I?????