Going to take up dressage...

helenandshadow

Visit site
Yes, seriously!

I took Shadow XC schooling round Brightling today and I really can't ride her properly XC anymore.
crazy.gif
I don't ride her positively forwards at all and I was doubting that we could get over the fences, even though we've jumped them before. She stopped at quite a few fences and she wasn't strong like she usually is, lazy in fact. When she did jump she didn't lock onto fences and take me into them, she was backing off everything and felt like she struggled over them. She's so honest bless her, I rode completely backwards into some fences and she still jumped them but she just isn't enjoying it at this height anymore and I'm sending her all the wrong signals. She hasn't been SJing very well this year either. This time last year we were happily jumping 3'3'' SJ and XC.
frown.gif

I love her too much to make her do something she doesn't enjoy and risk her hurting herself. Still going to do a bit of SJ but not going to do too much XC and nothing over about 2'6'' for now. Going withdraw from Brightling and I think I can forget doing an Intro with her. Absolutely gutted but I think it's the right decision.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

So I've decided I'm going to have some flatwork lessons and do some dressage.
shocked.gif
Have never really taken the time to work on her flatwork and I think she could do well if I know which buttons to press!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Sorry for the long, selfish post, I don't expect anyone to read it.

KatB

Visit site
Aww, i think you will get back into jumping again, but working on flatwork will work on her strength and obedience, so you may find will help when you go back jumping...chin up hon! Horses do this too us occasionally.....

juliehannah58

Visit site
Aw Helen, don’t fret about it. I’m sure you’ll come back to the jumping, you know her so well. Everyone has blips in their confidence, I am having one at the moment and said a similar thing to you last week! There is no rush, no hurry, just take your time and I’m sure with no pressure on you or her (sounds like you put wayyy to much pressure on yourself – I’m the same, own worst critic) you’ll pick up where you left off in no time.

Just go at your own pace and focus on the flat for a while – it will pay when you do come back to the jumping anyways!

Chin up
x

icestationzebra

Visit site
Sorry to hear that but I am sure that perhaps you both just need a break and a step back.
Why not play around with a bit of dressage, showing, sponsored rides etc. over the summer and perhaps try a little Hunter Trial in the autumn? A good instructor will be able to help you get your 'mojo' back and make it fun for you both again.

Don't despair - this happens to all of us as some point or another.

Rambo

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up about the jumping...everyone goes through it. If you're like me one bad round dents your confidence...two is a national crisis.

Also have you had the vet check your mare over ? Bo went like this last year...turned out he had a virus
frown.gif

lizzie_liz

Visit site
Aw sorry to hear the xc schooling didn't go to plan but don't worry everyine has their blips, this time last year I was qualified for the 85cm TB finals and was jumping 85 and 95 classes and going for it in the JO, but then I fell off twice at TB finals in the JO and after that it was down hill, I was falling off and we were getting eliminated all the time. But then took her to BCA beginning of the month and jumped 2 brilliant rounds at 75cm and 85cm. We hadn't been out SJ since Feb and concentrated on our dressage.

A change of scenery may do the pair of you the world of good

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Our SJ isn't too much of a problem but we've had a few stops this year so maybe just need to do a few smaller classes. Tbh our XC has gone downhill since last year and I think it's going to take longer than I thought to get our confidence back.

I'll probably do a few 2'6''/2'9'' SJ classes and see how she goes, and do some dressage, unaff showing and sponsored rides, and a few little hunter trials in the Autumn. Going to get her back checked and them maybe get the vet to check her over.

I think I just need to have a bit of a break and work on our flatwork which will hopefully help with the jumping anyway, and have some fun and not push ourselves too much over the Summer.
smile.gif