Going to the dogs Channel 4 now!

PingPongPony

Visit site
Can someone explain what is going on with that programme?! I just turned onto channel 4 and saw 2 staffies trying to rip each other apart?! How can this be shown on TV and why aren't those people in jail for animal cruelty?! Sorry, am a bit panicky and feeling sick after just a couple of minutes. I just do not understand how this is allowed to be shown on TV, surely some weirdos/sadistic people will now think that this is great fun and start doing this. I feel absolutely sick :(

jenie

Visit site
Omg really feel for you , I saw it advertised & it nearly made me cry . I cant belive they would make this sort of documentary .shocking .. I own a lovely staff & it sickens me to think what those poor dogs go through ,not to mention how much harm it will probably do to the breed again , they are such a loyal loving dog not the monster people make them .totally disguised with channel 4 .

NellRosk

Visit site
I watched it all, absolutely horrendous and I'm extremely upset now. Sickened at channel 4 using it as a cheap way to get viewings, they're getting lots of stick on twitter so hopefully something is done to prosecute the men that were fighting and baiting their dogs. There was also a completely unnecessary bit near the end where they showed 3 horses being shot and hung up?!

PingPongPony

Visit site
yes i switched onto it just before the horses bit, as the black and white staffie was trying to rip off the muzzle of the brindle staffie, then it was the horses being shot. I only watched it until the bit where one of the dogs wouldn't let go of the others leg and the other dog was screaming out in pain, my mum took the remote off me and switched channels at that point as i was too upset to switch it odd. I'm still in shock as to what i just saw, and still cannot get rid of the horrible sick feeling. Don't get me wrong, I don't live a sheltered life where everything is beautiful and i believe there is no cruelty, not at all, but this does not mean that I want to see it on TV the night before a very important A level exam just while i'm trying to relax and wind down and watch something nice :(
What's next, documentaries about child abuse being filmed and shown on TV? Rape? where is the line of what's acceptable and what's not?

Last edited:

sandi_84

Visit site
I saw it advertised and made sure to not watch! I couldn't have coped and would either have been in tears the whole way through or been sick I think :( Poor poor dogs :( And horses :O what was that about?!

Copperpot

Visit site
I didn't watch it. I can't imagine my poor staffy being put through something like that. I know it goes on and we shouldn't pretended it doesn't but why give the scum who do it their time on tv.

vieshot

Visit site
I tried to watch it but switched it off when they put the young bitch in the ring and tried to make her fight when all she wanted to do was play :( stating that she wasn't 'ready yet'

Revolting vile ass holes. Not even worthy of an appearance on Jeremy Kyle.

jenie

Visit site
Hi just called channel 4 to make a complaint . The lady told me that the rscpa , police & other charities where notified about the programme before it was aired but couldn't act on it untill the programme was shown ? She said there will be justice brought for the dogs & arrests will be made ? What do you think ? Fobbing me off or truth ? I suppose time will tell ?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The two things I actually found most upsetting were the dog on the treadmill and the young bitch being put in to the ring. She looked totally bewildered.

NellRosk

Visit site
The two things I actually found most upsetting were the dog on the treadmill and the young bitch being put in to the ring. She looked totally bewildered.

The treadmill bit was awful wasn't it. They put it on the fastest setting and his poor legs couldn't keep up but because he was tied to it he was just getting sandpapered by it. :(

Angelbones

Visit site
Is there any valid reason for me watching it on catch-up? Sounds horrific :-( I thought it was going to be about greyhound racing which I find distressing enough.

PingPongPony

Visit site
I saw it advertised and made sure to not watch! I couldn't have coped and would either have been in tears the whole way through or been sick I think :( Poor poor dogs :( And horses :O what was that about?!

Basically, apparently at the beginning of the programme, there was some footage of badly treated farm animals, then the horses being shot was from the racing industry, and what was implied that there are worse things going on in the farming and racing industries yet they are legal so why isn't dog fighting legal, it wasn't said but it was pretty clearly implied!

Hi just called channel 4 to make a complaint . The lady told me that the rscpa , police & other charities where notified about the programme before it was aired but couldn't act on it untill the programme was shown ? She said there will be justice brought for the dogs & arrests will be made ? What do you think ? Fobbing me off or truth ? I suppose time will tell ?

According to the RSPCA, channel4 is refusing to hand over the un-edited footage that shows the identity of the people involved, so I'm guessing that they were just fobbing you off, or maybe the staff was told a lie also. :(

I did not see that bit, only saw a small bit near the end but that was enough for me :(

For anyone who is interested, RSPCA has released an article about it all, explaining it's views on the programme and what's going on basically. Here's the link to it:
http://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2014/06/13/channel-4s-going-to-the-dogs/#.U5stYfldVIG

PingPongPony

Visit site
Is there any valid reason for me watching it on catch-up? Sounds horrific :-( I thought it was going to be about greyhound racing which I find distressing enough.

Unless you are wanting to see specifically how the dogs fight, how they're prepared for fights, and how they're treated, as well as seeing horses being shot and farm animals mistreated, I do not see a valid reason for watching it. It is not educational in any way as it doesn't tell you how to help stop all this cruelty, and tbh i don't see the point of it :( it does show just how horrific it is though :(

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I watched it, but had to turn it off regularly. The bits that really got me was the poor dog on the treadmill and the dog that just wanted to play- and the lower life form morons trying to antagonize it in to fighting. No idea where the horse shooting came from? not that it bothered me too much, nice quick end for the horses- unlike the torment the dogs were being put through. Mass cull of idiot humans is well overdue.

bonny

Visit site
I didn't see the programme but sounds like the point they are trying to make is that we use animals for our own purposes and pleasures in lots of ways and for some dog fighting is just another "sport", no better or worse than the rest. I'm sure a lot of farm animals have worse lives than fighting dogs but as they get eaten they are seen differently to dogs that are essentially pets.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't think that the treatment of farm animals or horse racing are really comparable with dog fighting.

The conditions that farm animals are kept in and how they are slaughtered are welfare issues and improving those things are very important. Horses aren't raced with the aim of injuring them and anything that can be done to reduce the chances of injuries should be done. Dogs are fought with the express aim of them injuring each other.

So IMO, dog fighting is more comparable with cock fighting and horse fighting (if you want an equine equivalent that fits better than horse racing).

I also don't accept the 'because worse things happen to animals, this should be Ok' argument. Just because bile bears exist, or because sharks are definned alive doesn't make dog fighting alright. None of them are alright.

bonny

Visit site
It's all using animals for our own ends though, the only real difference is that we see dogs as pets but for the individual animal is it really worse to be a fighting dog or a farm animal ? When you think about it, it's all about how we view different species, we think nothing of killing huge numbers of one type of animal to feed the one's that we have in our homes. I would never say I think there's nothing wrong with fighting dogs but I do think there a lot of double standards.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
'Using animals for our own needs' as you put it, shouldn't give a carte blanche to pay no heed to their welfare. I think the welfare conditions matter a great deal to the animal involved. Battery hens and and the chickens that I used to have in my garden are all kept for egg production. Keeping hens for eggs doesn't have to equal suffering for the hens.

Gina1960

New User
Visit site
'Using animals for our own needs' as you put it, shouldn't give a carte blanche to pay no heed to their welfare. I think the welfare conditions matter a great deal to the animal involved. Battery hens and and the chickens that I used to have in my garden are all kept for egg production. Keeping hens for eggs doesn't have to equal suffering for the hens.

So well said! You only have to read the League's reply to the programme to have an insight into what happened
http://www.league.org.uk/news-and-opinion/blogs/2014/june/going-to-the-dogs-the-leagues-reaction

Also please let us not forget it was said in the programme "mashed up" dogs are drowned. Dogs are repeatedly beaten, their ears can be cut off. Dogs are stolen from our gardens and used as bait dogs, as are the some of the dogs that are advertised "free to a good home". Dogs are stitched up, already in pain, with no anaesthetic, let alone forced to fight.

The reply from the League will stay in my memory for a long time. I would rather have my head chopped off than see, or take part in dog fighting.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...to-air-the-show-going-to-the-dogs-on-12-06-14
http://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2014/06/13/channel-4s-going-to-the-dogs/#.U57rJ5RdV2E (scroll down to bottom to join the petition to 4)
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/
Channel 4 complaints http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/contact-us

twiggy2

Visit site
I did watch the whole programe, it was one sided and it glamourised a barbaric use of dogs (I cannot call it a sport), the dogs are not trained to fight anymore than a man who works out to keep fit-the innocent are put in a confined area with others that have already learnt it is attack or be attacked.
I dont support horse racing as I feel horse run as a herd out of a flight response so it is not a nice experience but also agree it is not done with the intent of every animal that takes part being injured.
dog racing I feel as a hunting animal dogs do enjoy the buzz that the chase gives them and that their actions are natural and positive for the dog. both dog and horse racing need to be held more accountable for those that have that are the excess from the breeding for racing, even if it is a swift and humane end.

I have no problem with people eating meat of any sort as long as it has lived and died with care taken to eliminate any avoidable suffering or lack of care. I have 2 lambs in my garden that needed hand rearing, they are from a friends flock and in return I will get half a lamb later in the year when the male are slaughtered, they are an organic flock that are kept at grass in one large flock and will go to slaughter in small groups of 3 or 4 and will have a swift end.

I dont see how dog fighting can be compared to any legal activity, I also dont see how creating a banned dog breed list has helped dogs at all

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I didn't watch the programme - even reading about it makes me feel sick. I just can't believe they're honestly comparing the treatment of animals in the farming industry and horse-racing to this disgusting, malicious and barbaric practice. I'm not saying that there is no abuse in these sectors, but things get better all the time and there is a lot of pressure to improve standards.