Going to uni and keeping your horse

jinxy

Visit site
Hi

Has anyone gone to uni and kept their horse? I am hoping to go to uni next year and will have to fund my horse myself. Everyone I know has had to sell them or loan them.

Is it possible?

thanks

JANANI

Visit site
Hi there

I did! I went to Uni locally instead of going to England like most of my friends. My uni was only 1/2 an hour away from home so I lived at home and took the bus to uni each day. I also worked part time to fund my living expenses.

Jana

AFlapjack

Visit site
I'm in my first year at Uni and still own my boy :) He is actually at Uni with me, too and it's soooo much easier. I'm managing well at the moment, financially - just got to make sure I only spend money on things I really, really need and don't waste it all on something like, umm...... a night out!! :p :D

TheEquineOak

Visit site
Are you going away or staying at home? Do you fund the horse at the moment?

You've just got to weigh up how much your horse is going to cost and what your outgoings as a student will be.

To be fair, while I was at college and university I put riding on the back burner (regret this....came back to it a year ago and have forgotten EVERYTHING :D) BUT I do remember having lots of money as a student.... easy student jobs and that wonderful student loan...

Worst comes to worse, get a sharer and split costs

noodle_

Visit site
i bought my horse in my 2nd year :D

but i sacrifised living away!! i commute to my uni......... 10 minutes down the road lol!!

it was the uni i wanted to go to anyhow so it workd out ok!!!

means i can live a thome,have a horse, save money!!, look after the dog and manage my time better

oh and... remmeber my 3 years at uni and not be drunk for most of it :)

jinxy

Visit site
Yes i will be staying at home, atm he costs quite a bit. I have considered moving to another cheaper yard but he developed COPD and they arent suitable

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
i managed to keep mutiple horses when at uni :)
i choose a uni closer to home though so i didnt have to move them. I did international business and choose my modules depending upon when the lectures/seminars were and also what i liked...
the 1st year i had lecturers/seminars from 9 til 5 without out a break... but it meant that most other days were half days and fridays off = more time to ride etc :)

Sarah2207

Visit site
I'm in my third year and my horse has been out on loan throughout uni, coming home during the looooong summer holidays! I'm very much forward to having him back when I graduate though!

I keep my horses at home, but have unhorsey parents so them looking after him was never really an option. I know that I couldn't have afforded to keep him with me at uni, if I had earnt enough money myself to afford livery, transport to yard etc etc I would never have had any time to see him!

MileAMinute

Visit site
I'm starting Uni next year (will be 20) but will continue to keep my pony, with the possibility of loaning him out as a companion if things get tough.
I'll be purchasing a car before I start (she says!) so that will make the commute easier for when I'm doing shift work on my rotations, but then I'm staying at home for Uni so however I play it I'll be close enough to him.

Maiziemouse

Visit site
I kept the 2 horses I had at the time and my dog whilst at Uni. I worked a lot around my lectures and study and sacrificied some nights out etc but well worth it in the long run and I'm so glad I did it. My parents were non horsey so leaving pets behind was not an option. I have lost 1 of the horses and dog now to old age now but so glad I kept them on at the time.

lexiedhb

Visit site
I dragged mine all the way from Surrey to Wales for 5 years!! I was lucky that my grandad helped support me through it though!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I've dragged mine from London to Norwich for the last two years (its our last year up here). Fortunately my parents pay for him and Norwich livery is far cheaper than London livery! I see him 2/3 times a week and he's on full livery the other four days. I've been able to balance a social life, a job and my horse whilst studying for a law degree so it's perfectly doable.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I went far away!
I returned once a month or so.
Mummy Dearest I love you!!!! - She kept my mare on grass livery for me. (luckily she was TBxID that you could leave for 4 weeks straight, then hop on and calmly walk around and do anything (im not tlking a galloping session) - She was so sane! :D