Going to view a trailer - what to look out for?

bex1984

Visit site
I'm going to look at a trailer for the first time tomorrow. Any tips on what I should look our for, things to avoid, question to ask would be much appreciated :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You don't mention the make or age of the trailer so somethings may or may not be relevent. Check the floor of it, is it made of wood, if so is it sound, specially in the corners as that is where they go first.

If it is steel construction check around the bottom of the walls inside & see that the panels are not corroded & rusting away. Check underneath that any steel supports are solid.

Check ther ramp, that it is solid, slats on the ramp are easy to replace but if the ramp is rotten then it takes a little more work but is still fairly easy to replace.

Examine the tyres for cracks in the walls, this normally happens when its been parked up for a long time. Also wheel bearings could do with checking but unless the trailer is jacked up it is unlikely you'll be able to do this.

Check the electrics, plug it into a towing vehicle to ensure it all works, if it doesn't it is cheaper & easier to buy a towing board & fit that than rewire. Also hitch up the trailer & tow it, see it tows ok & also that the brakes on the trailer work. You'll feel the brakes come on when you apply your brakes.

Depending on the age many of these things will be fine but the older the trailer the more potential for something to be wrong.

Vest of all take a mechanic or someone who knows what to look for with you to help you check & decide if it's ok to buy. The actual mechanics of a trailer are quite simple so with plenty of lubricant most things will free up & work but the floor is really the most important thing to check. :)

Good Luck..

Last edited:

Turks

Visit site
Check the trailer ID. IW tend to have a long ID no on the a-frame. Make sure its visible - not welded over or altered (all letters and numbers should look true and uniform). Lots of stolen trailers out there... IW especially easy to identify - you'll be out of pocket and don't want to fund the thieves, handlers etc.;)

Tronk

Visit site
Check the trailer ID. IW tend to have a long ID no on the a-frame. Make sure its visible - not welded over or altered (all letters and numbers should look true and uniform). Lots of stolen trailers out there... IW especially easy to identify - you'll be out of pocket and don't want to fund the thieves, handlers etc.;)

When I bought my IW I checked the ID over the phone with IW direct to ensure legitimate and not stolen. I rang them before viewing, plus when I was actually viewing it - a legitimate seller will not mind you doing this so don't be frightened.