Going to view new yard - scared stiff!!

JLH85

Visit site
So a vacancy for DIY livery has now come available on the only suitable yard near me and I am going to have a look tomorrow. I am scared stiff!! I don't know what's come over me put I have felt sick all morning just thinking about going! It's a large yard with facilities for competing and they charge a lot for full livery. It's all very fancy and competitive and I guess I'm just feeling a bit inadequate with my quirky horse.... We would like to compete low level in the future but at the moment I'm still working on getting him to behave and be forward going without me keeling over from the exertion!!

I really like where I am now but he will have to be kept in all winter which is no good for him and there is no one for me to ride out with. The new yard is more expensive, further away from home but has fantastic facilities and hopefully the chance to make friends or at least people to ride out with!

Has anyone ever had their horse on DIY livery at a yard like this? The thought of having my lessons on front of these fantastic classical riders feels me with dread but I suppose I'll just have to get on with it! Am I doing the right thing? 😳

ihatework

Visit site
So a vacancy for DIY livery has now come available on the only suitable yard near me and I am going to have a look tomorrow. I am scared stiff!! I don't know what's come over me put I have felt sick all morning just thinking about going! It's a large yard with facilities for competing and they charge a lot for full livery. It's all very fancy and competitive and I guess I'm just feeling a bit inadequate with my quirky horse.... We would like to compete low level in the future but at the moment I'm still working on getting him to behave and be forward going without me keeling over from the exertion!!

I really like where I am now but he will have to be kept in all winter which is no good for him and there is no one for me to ride out with. The new yard is more expensive, further away from home but has fantastic facilities and hopefully the chance to make friends or at least people to ride out with!

Has anyone ever had their horse on DIY livery at a yard like this? The thought of having my lessons on front of these fantastic classical riders feels me with dread but I suppose I'll just have to get on with it! Am I doing the right thing? ��

You are probably imaging a scenario that isn't necessarily realistic!!
Smart yard doesn't automatically equate to lots of mega horses and mega riders.
On the whole every 'normal' amateur/hobby rider suffers completely similar anxieties about themselves but rarely is this translated to their thoughts on other riders.
FWIW I stable on a very smart yard that is a mix of DIY/part/full and has a complete mix of horses and riders. It has a lovely atmosphere and everyone just likes to enjoy their horses in a way that suits them best.

Loulou2002

Visit site
Everyone will probably be lovely! You get gossiping etc at lower levels anyway. You're a paying customer and it doesn't matter how you ride or what your horse does or looks like. It sounds a really nice place.

misskk88

Visit site
Visiting a new yard is always scary, especially if you have been at the same one for along time!

When I looked at other yards (due to money issues), I was worried that the other yards would be really professional, and me and my mare just wanting to school, hack and ocassionally jump would look totally amateur! But rest assured, wherever you go there will be a real mix of people! Regardless of ability some of them may become friends, and who knows, they may really support you with your riding.

I went to one yard, and the owner was highly professional, trained with Carl Hester weekly among other names, and she was lovely! She explained they had some who competed, other liveries who were just happy hackers, and some who purely had horses to fuss and love. I felt if I did move, I would have been just fine there, although I didn't as I am now looking for a loan/sharer for my mare.

I looked at other yards, and I really looked at the condition and attitude of the other horses on site to get a gauage for what the YOs were saying and if it matched how happy the horses were etc. One yard, the owner was very kind, but I was shocked when she desribed her horse as 11 years old- I was convinved she was going to say at least 20!

I would say when you visit, trust your gut feeling about whether you and your horse could fit in. If you aren't sure, do not think twice about thinking things through, or looking at other yards.

Don't be scared to ask lots of questions, or chat to any other liveries while there. Ask about routines of the horses, how long other liveries have been there, use of facilities, turn out etc. Everything you want to know, especially if it is DIY. At some DIY yards they do try and pair you up with someone else so you can help each other occassionally- so ask about other DIYers too!#

Good luck!!!

soulfull

Visit site
Echo Ihatework

Of course there will be people there like you describe. But also there are bound to be others who are either like you or were in the past.
If yo is nice mention to her how you are feeling I'm sure she will understand

JLH85

Visit site
Thanks everyone - you're right I'm just being over dramatic and very stereotypical!! That's made me feel better about it all.

Can I ask - the yard feeds all horses so included in cost but I always go up to feed my horse very early (half 5/6 ish) in the morning and then turn out. What would I do now? I suppose I could turn him out and feed in field but obviously it wouldn't be fair for me to feed in stable and not feed others. Or I suppose I could pay for them to turn out for me but I'd rather do it myself and not pay! Does anyone work around this?

ihatework

Visit site
I'd ask them that question when you view, just to make sure they are happy with you turning up at 5.30/6

Spring Feather

Visit site
A lot of big competition yards have stable blocks solely for DIYers so that might be the case here, if so then you will be able to go up and feed your horse at the time convenient to you. If they're all stabled together I'd just ask what the protocol is. I personally never understand this feeding every horse on the yard at the same time, or all horses have to be fed, but I'd ask how they work it. Hopefully the YO will be welcoming to you and you'll be put at ease with how the yard is run. Ask all your questions so that you go into it with your eyes open, and good luck, I hope it's all you hope it will be.