Gold medals and now golden rings....

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Interesting isn't it? The other Rio proposal has sparked questions about male dominance/forcing the woman to say yes. Even Carl Hester said that if Charlotte's bf had proposed in the "normal way", she would probably have said no, but that this way she couldn't refuse!

In general terms, I've always thought that public proposals put an awful lot of pressure on the person being proposed to, to say yes.

Archangel

Visit site
You can propose any day of the week but you can only win a gold medal on one day after 4 years of preparation and he should have let her enjoy the moment and surely enjoyed it with her - I would be very peed off (but am miserable old trout anyway).

HashRouge

Visit site
Interesting isn't it? The other Rio proposal has sparked questions about male dominance/forcing the woman to say yes. Even Carl Hester said that if Charlotte's bf had proposed in the "normal way", she would probably have said no, but that this way she couldn't refuse!

In general terms, I've always thought that public proposals put an awful lot of pressure on the person being proposed to, to say yes.

I don't like public proposals at all. It's alright if the two people involved are both keen to get married, but if the one being proposed to isn't sure then it just puts too much pressure on and might force them to say yes when they don't want to. A Chinese diver proposed to his girlfriend during her medal ceremony and she said yes, but I thought she looked uncomfortable and not exactly thrilled with his actions!

only_me

Visit site
It said she was engaged in 2008, but have put off actually getting married. That's what the sign was, "can we get married now" :p

Crackerz

Visit site
They've been engaged 8 years, i don't know why most of the media is making out it was a proposal, he seems quite pushy though? They split up for 3 months after 2012 because of the media attention, what did he expect??

Last edited:

Micropony

Visit site
I don't like public proposals at all. It's alright if the two people involved are both keen to get married, but if the one being proposed to isn't sure then it just puts too much pressure on and might force them to say yes when they don't want to. A Chinese diver proposed to his girlfriend during her medal ceremony and she said yes, but I thought she looked uncomfortable and not exactly thrilled with his actions!

I completely agree! A man who can't let his girlfriend enjoy Olympic success without trying to make the day all about him. Well it wouldn't do for me, but we're all different I suppose!