Golden oldie - where to find?

Jules_F

Visit site
Has anyone got any advice on where to look for teenage horses? I would like to find a good mannered, laid back mount for happy hacking for my competent novice husband. It will only be used for gentle hacking to the pub and back and some lessons, likely only ridden once or twice a week, so I thought a nice teenager looking for a quieter pace of life would be ideal. I am happy to loan or buy, but I am really struggling! I don't know why but around me they just don't seem to exist! I have tried horsemart, horses4homes, preloved and a plethora of facebook pages. Any ideas? Thanks!

Equi

Visit site
Maybe ask around the local trekking or riding schools. They maybe have one who is struggling with the work load now days? Good luck :)

Ruftysdad

Visit site
What about an ex polo pony? They have a Facebook site and regularly have adverts for ponies to be rehomed. Mainly in the South of England though

Finlib

Visit site
Just to say I am in the same boat !!!! My husband has ridden all his life but is 70 next year his lovely anglo arab has been diagnosed with Cushings and is struggling a bit so we have decided to retire him .He has had him 15 years (he is 21) and now wants something he can ride 2/3 times a week light hacking with the odd canter nothing strenuous and yes I too am looking for a teenage horse to fit the bill and they don't seem to exist Hubbie is only 10 stone and 5ft5inches so nothing too big 15hh or there abouts.
I feel your pain!!!

TGM

Visit site
Have you tried looking on the advertising pages of your local riding club websites, quite often see the older ones advertised on those.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
If you know what you are doing you could do worse than an auction at this time of year, RS's are often downsizing now, and they tend to put them through auctions as a quick way of clearing stock.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My friend has just got a gorgeous 18 year old complete with whole wardrobe from me seeing an ad at the local feed store. He's a poppet and it turns out I used to know him from a previous yard. He's quite forward going though but very kind and sensible.

Sprig

Visit site
Why not put a wanted advert on your local horsey facebook page? Lots of people will have horses like this that they don't want to advertise but would be happy to go to the right home.

Nt9

Visit site
Horselib - Where abouts in the country are you? I may have something suitable I wasn't really considering selling but might to the right home. Pm me if you want to have a chat.

Finlib

Visit site
Horselib - Where abouts in the country are you? I may have something suitable I wasn't really considering selling but might to the right home. Pm me if you want to have a chat.

Strangely like Jules-F We are also in Wales (West Wales about equal from Carmarthen one way Cardigan the other)

sport horse

Visit site
I second putting a wanted ad on any reasonably local site. I have had just such a horse out on loan since my husband died - it was his horse. Old lad is now back home and nanny to the youngsters. My other oldies are busy breeding as they are mares but I bet many an older competition horse could be available but like me the owners would never bother to advertise!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Ahhh I'm in North Yorkshire which might be a little too far. ��

Would Shropshire/Worcestershire borders be too far? I've got half a dozen of them - all pretty sensible and aged from 18-22 (I've just brought 1 22 year old back into work because he was bored to sobs babysitting 2 year olds.) Most are mares I've also got a very nice, quiet 4 year old Irish Draught who CANNOT be worked hard - she has very straight hocks and they wouldn't stand hard work (she failed her grading on the vetting - for a thoroughpin - so can't be used for ID breeding.

I cannot bring myself to put down fit and healthy horses just because they're old but it IS getting to be a bit of a strain keeping them ALL! So would loan to the right home (references would be checked!)

Suelin

Visit site
Has anyone got any advice on where to look for teenage horses? I would like to find a good mannered, laid back mount for happy hacking for my competent novice husband. It will only be used for gentle hacking to the pub and back and some lessons, likely only ridden once or twice a week, so I thought a nice teenager looking for a quieter pace of life would be ideal. I am happy to loan or buy, but I am really struggling! I don't know why but around me they just don't seem to exist! I have tried horsemart, horses4homes, preloved and a plethora of facebook pages. Any ideas? Thanks!

Retired polo pony. There is a FB page for them. We have one, he's elderly but we bought him for the same reasons you have given. He's a superstar and does exactly what it said on the tin. Can't recommend highly enough.

PorkChop

Visit site
Would Shropshire/Worcestershire borders be too far? I've got half a dozen of them - all pretty sensible and aged from 18-22 (I've just brought 1 22 year old back into work because he was bored to sobs babysitting 2 year olds.) Most are mares I've also got a very nice, quiet 4 year old Irish Draught who CANNOT be worked hard - she has very straight hocks and they wouldn't stand hard work (she failed her grading on the vetting - for a thoroughpin - so can't be used for ID breeding.

I cannot bring myself to put down fit and healthy horses just because they're old but it IS getting to be a bit of a strain keeping them ALL! So would loan to the right home (references would be checked!)

Op I would snap Janet's hand off :)

If you are still struggling then I would think a wanted ad would be your best bet.

Jules_F

Visit site
Hi JanetGeorge, I have just seen your post, If you would like to chat and tell me a bit more about your horses please send me a message :) We keep our horses at home and they have a very nice life, I would be very happy to provide references/submit to a home visit.

Last edited: