Golden retriever/golden doodle pups

Bellasophia

Visit site
PLEASE...choose one or the other.

then you will be able to concentrate on one breed ,from health tested parents..

I’ve had three standard poodles ,since 2000.....a fabulous dog,but high groom / energy/ entertainment ,requirements.
My first from UK...show quality..high prey drive..epileptic.

The second from germany..working type,very easily trained..yet had chronic
health issues.IBD..sibo..and chronic proteus health issues..cost thousands over the years to maintain her.

The third dog..a Swedish import..almost 9..no health issues whatever,,but cost double my first two...you get what you pay for.The breeder even included three years money back guarantee if the dog had HD issues during its first three years of life.

Don’t buy a doodle...it’s a mix and won’t guarantee to follow either parent ,both in phenotype( looks) or genotype( health issues).

DressageCob

Visit site
You couldn't pay me to own a doodle or -poo of any type.

Goldens a nice, amiable dogs. Get one from health tested parents and a reputable breeder. And you say you don't mind long hair and moulting, given your cat, so I see no reason at all to want to mess with a GR by adding poodle.

Plus GR pups are adorable.

windand rain

Visit site
And it’s not necessarily a bad mix.
I agree to a point but only if both pedigrees are from healthy stock which is rare as I have said an ex friend had a cocker bitch and a poodle dog his entire 15 years he was siring puppies with his daughter his granddaughters etc sometimes he apeared in the male line and female line 4 or 5 times in 3 generations

[139672]

Visit site
Well I am biased toward poodles as I have a toy ?. Golden doodle near me and he is huge. Depends if they are crossed with a miniature or standard poodle. Neighbour has a cockapoo and he’s quite big, his dads a miniature poodle. Poodles do shed hairs but they get trapped in the curls. Their coats are a lot of work as the crosses are. Couple of GRs near me and they are both lovely dogs. Lovely nature and very friendly.

Attachments

• 1F371E1E-1CCA-4006-851E-9F1C5D3BE3ED.png
    1F371E1E-1CCA-4006-851E-9F1C5D3BE3ED.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 19

gallopingby

Visit site
A number of the breed societies are now bringing out charters listing characteristics of their breed and the suggested selling price. Most of these will have waiting lists and will cross examine potential owners. The trend in cross breeds commonly known as mongrels has done nothing but encourage unregulated breeding and puppy farming.

Clodagh

Visit site
Presumably (slightly off topoc, OP, sorry) at some point cockapoos will gain registration? The KC is missing out on an enormous amount of income by ignoring them.
It might help as it would encourage health testing, although I do maintain that the KC have never yet improved any breed they have recognised

palo1

Visit site
Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
A colleague of mine attended one of those touring KC Q&A things they did a few years back and the chair did moot that proposition but I think it was labradoodles as cockapoos weren't so big back then. Mood in the room wasn't super receptive. Also intimated that breeders were letting the side down by not keeping up with demand for certain breeds and types/not giving the public what they wanted ?
Wouldn't take any questions from my colleague about training/ethics/health testing.

Clodagh

Visit site
A colleague of mine attended one of those touring KC Q&A things they did a few years back and the chair did moot that proposition but I think it was labradoodles as cockapoos weren't so big back then. Mood in the room wasn't super receptive. Also intimated that breeders were letting the side down by not keeping up with demand for certain breeds and types/not giving the public what they wanted ?
Wouldn't take any questions from my colleague about training/ethics/health testing.
I’m pretty sure the KC couldn’t give a furry rats bum about dogs generally, but they do like a healthy bank balance.

Bernster

Visit site
Palo those Irish terriers look gorgeous! I’m largely basing the selection on the most cat friendly breeds!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Palo those Irish terriers look gorgeous! I’m largely basing the selection on the most cat friendly breeds!

I've had 2 Norwegian Buhunds, a crossbreed with Dobermann, a Smooth Collie, and the current 3 Finnish Lapphunds, they've all been great with cats!

I believe that a list of dog breeds very likely to be good with cats should be much longer, than a list of dog breeds likely to not be good with cats.
Even dogs of breeds on the later list can have individuals which is good with cats, or some cats. For example I know a Greyhound who loves a neighbour's cat, but views all other cats as prey.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I think the best thing we did was make sure our pup came from a home that had a cat.

I saw the cat go into the kitchen where the puppies were and they just ignored him. Then when we took Mabel home again she just ignored Teddy whilst she explored the house. This meant Teddy could suss her out on his own terms.

palo1

Visit site

My Irish chap is very well behaved with chooks, sheep, cattle and other dogs. I wouldn't hesitate to ask him to be polite to cats :) I know of several that happily live with cats too. I too agree that the list of dogs able to live with cats should be far longer - my sight and scent hounds were always very polite once sensible introductions had been made. I adore the Irish terriers I have met and feel they are an incredibly underrated old breed though they like plenty of exercise. :)

Clodagh

Visit site
I wouldn’t let cat friendly breeds limit you.
I rescued an adult saluki type lurcher and she was fine with my feral and a neighbours cat. If they ran she couldn’t help herself but if you are getting something as a pup it should be easy.

eta I still vote goldie!

palo1

Visit site
@Bernster - Goldies are lovely dogs :) Irish terriers don't shed though...I don't think it would be quick to find one however if you were considering the breed as waiting lists are long and the breed association shut their puppy finding service at the height of the pandemic. I had to wait over a year (pre-Covid) for a puppy but it was so completely worth it! I hope I am never without one now. :) Good luck in your search for a lovely dog whatever breed (or non breed) that is!! I will just leave you with these...:)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

https://irishterrierassociation.co.uk/

yhanni

Visit site
The Guide Dog peeps used to cross GR with Labradors and that seemed a nice cross. Not as much coat as a pure GR. Don't know if anyone does that or even if the GDBA still do. My parents used to puppy walk and the 3 they had were lovely.

ETA just looked on Pets4homes and they are called Goldadors! Who knew?? Probably everyone except me. Still a ridiculous price though ...

Last edited:

druid

Visit site
They can still take the money for them, plenty go on the activity register and are advertised as such in a weaselly fashion: Goldadors etc.

"This allows you to participate in field trials, plus agility, fly ball, heel work and obedience events." - Well that's lies as activity register dogs are NOT eligible for field trials!!!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Yup - weaselly! The purchasers might not have a clue, nor might they know how it differed from breed registration, the certificates look different but they both still have a Kennel Club logo and a fancy dog name on.