Good Age To Part Loan/Share

alice .

New User
Visit site
Hi!,
I've been recently been looking into getting a part loan but am not sure if to do it now or wait a bit. I don't want to disclose my specific age but I am under the age of 16 and have been riding for just under 3 years. My main problems are my age and the fact that my parents are non-horsey and will not be able to come with me due to work. I have done quite a bit with general horse management (mucking out, making hay nets, grooming, tacking up, catching, etc) if that's worth anything in this situation. I am leaning to waiting at the minute but I always want to get an early start on learning more especially since I want to have a career with horses.
Any tips or advice is welcome!! :)

HashRouge

Visit site
There's nothing wrong with looking at adverts (my first port of call is always Facebook) to see what is out there. You will find quite a few owners aren't keen on sharers/ loaners under the age of 18, but some are, so worth keeping an eye out. I'm an adult but I've shared for a number of years as I can't afford a riding horse atm, and I've hugely enjoyed it and had some great opportunities out of it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Hello.

Are your parents aware that you have registered on this forum and are asking for advice?

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/help/terms/

4.9If under the age of 18 a User will need to obtain a parent or guardian's permission before posting anything onto the Forum. You should never reveal personal information about yourself, such as your name, age, address, telephone number and school.

Shay

Visit site
I had a PC competition pony for share for just over 10 years - he's retired now. The youngest I ever took was 8, but most were the 10 / 12 mark. But I would not accept anyone who did not have a parent to supervise. They don't have to be horsey - but you can't be at the stables alone. Anyone who would allow that is not going to be a set up you should be going to. Riding is a dangerous sport.

Your parents will need to know - obviously. You can't sign a contract in your own right. Plus I presume they'll be paying! They can come to supervise you / make sure you are safe.

Have you had a look to see if there is a Pony Club Centre near you? That is often a good start point.

windand rain

Visit site
I agree it is your age and lack of supervision that are the problem A good ridng center is your best bet or a pony club center. It is the risks that are off putting for most pony or horse owners. You might find someone with a small pony/semi-retired that needs a jockey to keep the pony fit but they will have to be prepared to supervise and teach you. You will also need comprehensive rider insurance. This will only work if you are small and light though

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Anybody who is trustworthy enough for you to loan from would expect your parents to accompany you to the viewing of the pony and to sign a contract setting out your and their responsibilities. Under 18's cannot sign contracts. What do your parents think about you sharing a pony with a stranger? Who do they think would be supervising you and ensuring your safety while riding the share pony?

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
Unless you can walk there and be supervised you may find it hard. I would keep doing what you are doing for another year (sounds like ages I know!) but you will be an even more attractive prospect for someone looking to help out/share their horse. It’s a big commitment and if you find it hard getting there or find yourself in a situation you are unsure about it could cause problems. It seems as if you are sensible enough to know you need a little more experience. Also don’t forget many loaners may expect a regular financial contribution or for you to pay for shoes, etc. Keep learning and gaining experience and next summer I’m sure you will find the loan or share of your dreams, so start saving some money now ?

vhf

Visit site
Beautifully written request for advice. It bodes well for your future options... But.
Most places will want a minor to be supervised, unless they are a registered riding school who do "own a pony" days etc. You just might strike lucky with a local place who is prepared to have you around in return for help, but if that's the case, really, really make sure your parents are on board, that they check the place and the people out thoroughly and have a foolproof agreement about what you can and can't do, when, with who etc.
You might be best off focusing on getting formal training and supervision, taking tests and exams etc. so that when you're of a suitable age, you can demonstrate your readiness to take on a loan agreement. Hard to wait, but safety, preparation and patience are pretty key things to understand if you want to spend a lifetime around horses.