Good/bad/indifferent experiences of Moorcroft Racehorse Welfare

snopuma

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone had any experiences of Moorcroft at all, I have heard some good some bad and there is little on the internet for info, so if you have gifted a horse there or have adopted one, would love to hear your honest experiences x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ive not had any info since Sue went, and opened her own Racehorse Sanctuary.
Facilities v good and horses coming out of there were very well rehabbed.
However, not been down in 18 months so no idea if/how things may have changed

Last edited:

Ella19

Visit site
Not been down in ten years I'm afraid. It's very local to me but I hear nothing locally about it, literally nothing which is odd as all us horsey people like a bit of story telling! I get their newsletter through and they hold lots of popular and regular long lining demonstrations which I mean to go to but can't make for one reason or another. They're very approachable so I would arrange to go down and have a look yourself.

snopuma

Visit site
Ive not had any info since Sue went, and opened her own Racehorse Sanctuary.
Facilities v good and horses coming out of there were very well rehabbed.
However, not been down in 18 months so no idea if/how things may have changed

Was Sue the original owner?

snopuma

Visit site
Not been down in ten years I'm afraid. It's very local to me but I hear nothing locally about it, literally nothing which is odd as all us horsey people like a bit of story telling! I get their newsletter through and they hold lots of popular and regular long lining demonstrations which I mean to go to but can't make for one reason or another. They're very approachable so I would arrange to go down and have a look yourself.

That's strange not hearing anything locally, I have looked online for this sort of non-associated testimonials good /or bad and there is very little its like no-one admits to having a Moorcroft horse and its all a bit secret, weird!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I have a friend with a horse from there and have had only heard good things. I think there's another thoroughbred re-homing and rehabilitation centre locally that branched away from Moorcroft, but I've plum forgotten the name!

snopuma

Visit site
I have a friend with a horse from there and have had only heard good things. I think there's another thoroughbred re-homing and rehabilitation centre locally that branched away from Moorcroft, but I've plum forgotten the name!

Is that the one called 'The racehorse Sanctuary'? I looked at website and they look great if they can't re-home ridden or companion they keep them as a resident for life. Moorcroft don't seem to have residents or companion horses only ridden ones.

Nicnac

Visit site
Friend has one from Moorcroft - had her about 12-13 years. Has nothing but good to say about them and know they are still in touch as I believe ownership remains with Moorcroft.

millikins

Visit site
I have a friend with a Moorcroft ex racer and she is happy with him and follow up. Daughter did her GCSE work experience there, very good set up but she felt they only offered hacks and low level dressage horses, no jumpers.

cronkmooar

Visit site
I visited a few years ago to see a ridden demo and signed up to re-home a horse. I heard nothing back from them.

I started looking for a new horse in June and have had four ex racers. My experience is that I have left two messages - nobody answers the phone ever - and have never had a call back

I found it bizarre seeing as they are constantly advertising on horse quest

Will be interested to hear how you get on as I too have been unable to find any info

snopuma

Visit site
I started looking for a new horse in June and have had four ex racers. My experience is that I have left two messages - nobody answers the phone ever - and have never had a call back

I found it bizarre seeing as they are constantly advertising on horse quest

Will be interested to hear how you get on as I too have been unable to find any info

I have found very little, you would think that as they have been going for a long while that more could be found, but its like a closed shop. Very odd that you didn't get a response. I had a look on horsequest and found the ad you were talking about they mention a small donation but I had heard it was upwards of £1200

JadeyB

Visit site
I've just come across this thread randomly and thought i'd let you know my experience of Moorcroft. It was quite a long time ago though.

I enquired about rehoming a horse, spoke to a very friendly lady who advised me to visit the centre to have a look at the horses and discuss things further. I was just taken to a field by a member of staff where she pointed out the possible ones available to be rehomed. I said i was potentially interested in two of the horses i was shown but was told both were not ready to be ridden, and they didn't know if there were any others i could ride. It was left as i would go back down once the horses were in work, which I did. I was given one of the horses to ride, and was told there were no others for me to try. The horse was just handed to me to get on, i was told there was no one to ride him first! He was a very nervous boy who kicked out every time i put my leg on, and when i asked if i was doing something wrong the young girls said they didn't know so eventually i stopped riding because i thought it was unfair on him and me. I was then told the head girl would contact me once he'd done a bit more, which she didn't, so i called and was told this horse was now only allowed to be a companion. I was really disapointed and even wrote a letter of complaint about my experience.

matt_m

Visit site
I enquired a while back, did have a call back and was told my details would be stored and that I'd be contacted should something suitable come in, I never heard anything ever again but still get the newsletters (ironically showing horses which sound more than ideal for what I was looking for at the time!).

Lulup

Visit site
How odd? If you're looking to offer a home to an ex racer then have a look on Facebook at Cheveral House Racehorse Rehoming. It is run by Kate Turner (mother of jockey Hayley Turner) and she takes in racers from training yards for rehoming as long as they are sane and sound. She assesses them and either starts them doing a little ridden work and sells them as 'ridden' or turns them away and sells them 'unridden'. Kate is a wonderful lady who loves the horses and sells them completely honestly at a nominal fee (roughly between £500 - £1000). I have a lovely 5 year old that I got from her two years ago and I would thoroughly recommend her as a lovely honest, easy to deal with, professional who is doing her utmost to ensure a happy second career for these horses. Details of available horses get posted on the FB page and you have to be quick as they normally get snapped up quite fast. Def worth a look x

Last edited:

Silver

Visit site
If looking for an ex-racehorse have a look on Rehome My Horse. All the horses are still in the care of their owners but needing new homes. Some for sale some loan some rehome.

missrider2000

Visit site
I am looking to send my horse to a re-homing charity, so would be really interested to know if anyone has experiences of gifting to Moorcroft?

missrider2000

Visit site
I will have a look on there, I just want to make sure that if I use a charity it is going to be a good experience. Have you gifted to a charity?

Alexa123

Visit site
Yes - some years ago I had the very same experience, but STILL they send me an expensively produced brochure every so often via first class post! WEIRD OR WHAT! (Got to be some kind of tax dodge).

Morgan123

Visit site
Hmm. I am fairly sure Moorcroft is the one that there was a thread about by some owners who felt they'd had some serious problems after donating horses, they had a FB group as there were a lot of them. Can't find it now though so must have been deleted.

Last edited:

Achinghips

Visit site
Myou can find out a lot about Moorcroft by a search on this forum. The racehorse sanctuary which is a result of a split from Moorcroft, I would highly recommend.