Good breeds for short chunky riders

Trinket12

Visit site
So I am still on the look out for a lease (I don't think Patch will be a match), but also considering buying as finding a lease that meets what I want is proving a challenge. So keeping options open and looking at horses for sale.

Which brings me to my question, I am short at just over 5 ft and my preference would be around 15.2/3 (I currently ride a 16hh, who is OK, but mounting can sometimes be less than graceful). I don't really want to share my weight, but I am a size 14/16, my coach thinks I ride pretty well balanced and am light on my reins.

The most common breed here is a Quarter Horse, bred for cowboys and long days on the trail. My coach thinks that's a good option, and I am avoiding any dainty OTTB or warmbloods, but any thoughts on other breeds I could take a look at?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Given the number of quarter horses available to you, why on earth would you want anything else?!

(I might be slightly biased...)

eta: there are QHs in every discipline at amateur level, and they're (generally) forgiving and kind rides - you could do a lot worse!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Whilst I'm a huge fan of quarter horses and I think a good QH is practically perfect for most amateur all rounders, I'm not sure breed is hugely important - a Heinz 57 could be the "right" horse as much as any bred horse. If you see a horse that meets your spec, go and see it and judge it on its merits, rather than its breeding.

(And then realise it's a QH you really want anyway :p )

Trinket12

Visit site
I am honestly not picky, breed, colour, even sex (though my coach wants me to get a gelding). Height is my only qualifier, I have issues with my right hip so range of movement is limited. 15.2/3 I can mount on my own comfortably.

JFTDWS

Visit site
No - but you're asking which breeds are good for "short, chunky riders" - mostly, there aren't good breeds, there are good horses. You want something which has movement, temperament and conformation that suits your limitations (hip issue, riding ability etc) and your ambitions (whatever you want to do with it). While breeds have traits, there's sufficient variation in them that one horse may be perfect, and another totally inappropriate. So it's not "which breeds are good" you need to ask, really ;)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think most people on this forum will struggle to recommend the sort of breeds that you could realistically find in Canada (purely lack of knowledge). But if you were just academically interested in short chunky breeds then the British/Irish native pony breeds would probably be something you would enjoy looking up. We have a delightfully strong heritage in short chunky breeding. Highlands, Welsh cobs, Fells, Dales and Connemaras are all great for adults that like a shorter horse (with a quick wit and a bucket load of character 😜)

Trinket12

Visit site
No - but you're asking which breeds are good for "short, chunky riders" - mostly, there aren't good breeds, there are good horses. You want something which has movement, temperament and conformation that suits your limitations (hip issue, riding ability etc) and your ambitions (whatever you want to do with it). While breeds have traits, there's sufficient variation in them that one horse may be perfect, and another totally inappropriate. So it's not "which breeds are good" you need to ask, really ;)

I see what you mean, and agree with all of the above! Maybe I didn't word my question correctly, because I'm not a slim rider, not all horses would be able to carry me comfortably, so my question was more to what would, rather than a preference in breed. I just don't want to squish him/her :-D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I see what you mean, and agree with all of the above! Maybe I didn't word my question correctly, because I'm not a slim rider, not all horses would be able to carry me comfortably, so my question was more to what would, rather than a preference in breed. I just don't want to squish him/her :-D

Again, that's more about conformation, though - and that varies within breeds. You probably want to rule out narrow TBs and arab types (though some would disagree!), or very small horses (though again, a strong pony type might work). Sometimes taller, chunkier horses are worse because they're less well put together than a less chunky, smaller horse. It's very individual.

What do you want to do with your new horse?

Trinket12

Visit site
Nothing too fancy, have my lessons on and start to work towards some jumps (current ride is too old for jumping anymore :() but nothing too big. Then have some little hacks/schooling on my own, the barn I ride at has a half mile track as well as a big grand prix field we can use in the spring, summer and fall for hacking and tootling around. Also beach rides in the summer as well :D

I have zero plans on competing.

JFTDWS

Visit site
So basically, you want something nice, sensible and fairly forgiving (if you're out of practice over a fence), that's capable of doing a bit of everything and having fun in a sane manner.

Yea, I still say you want a QH ;) It's just a question of finding the right horse - if you're budget is sound, and you're prepared to consider something with a few years under its belt, that should be do-able.

Denny Emerson's book has a section about buying horses, considerations, breed etc in it. It's probably worth a look, more so for you as it's obviously your side of the Atlantic (if not quite "local"!).

npage123

Visit site
Just done a bit of a google search (which immediately tells you I haven't got personal experience with this breed), but have you ridden a few 'Canadian horses' to see if they're the type of horse you'll like? They sound extremely versatile, e.g. great leisure horse, can be used for driving, trial riding and a talent for... *jumping*!! In the videos that I've seen, they look nicely forward-going and of quite a solid build. Do they come in different sizes, i.e. in the size that you'd feel comfortable with and are you familiar with this breed?

Also just a question as I'm not familiar with the usual Canadian way of doing things - would you as a rule use mounting blocks/any available step when getting on? I think I'm correct in saying that it's the most popular way of getting onto a horse here in the UK - because it's better for the horse's back plus easier for the rider to get on :D Due to my back problems, sciatica, lack of suppleness and agility, being unfit and I'm quite short (etc....) there's certainly no way that I'll be able to get onto my 16.2 TB from the ground!

Trinket12

Visit site
Canadian's are lovely! I ride a Canadian/TB cross right now, the Canadian part of him gives him the chunkiness I need. We also have a Canadian at the therapeutic center I teach at, and he is great (if a little stubborn). I have been doing some Googling for that breed as well to see what's around. One of the challenges I have, is that British Columbia is massive, so there could be the ideal horse for sale but he may be a good 8 to 10 hours away from me, and I don't know enough to look on my own and I certainly wouldn't ask my coach to come that far. So I am limiting my search to the Lower Mainland (around Vancouver).

Yes I have a mounting block, and Risky is 16hh which is my limit. I can mount him, but if I'm feeling stiff it can be more of a challenge (I have sciatica as well and about 18 months ago popped my pelvis out of alignment when snowboarding, which further aggravated the muscles around my sciatic nerve and now I have less range of movement and some discomfort on that side).

Around the 15.2/3 mark I think would be a comfortable height.

npage123

Visit site
Ooh the Canadian horse sounds lovely indeed! What a shame that you haven't been able to find any local to you yet. One benefit of living on a small Island is you can drive halfway up the country if you really have to within a day (not necessarily with a horsebox/trailer though) but in most cases you wouldn't need to travel that far to go and view a horse. Slightly more of a tricky problem to reach faraway places in Canada. If I were to buy a horse again, I'd also like my coach or yard owner to accompany me, but won't expect them to spend a full day or even 2 just to come and look and try out at a horse for me. Maybe you're going to have the patience of a saint on this occasion and keep looking at all the ads you can find, and wait for the right horse in your local area to find you? I do wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated! Your quest would be very interesting to follow :)
Edited to add: love your cat - beautiful eyes!

Trinket12

Visit site
Ooh the Canadian horse sounds lovely indeed! What a shame that you haven't been able to find any local to you yet. One benefit of living on a small Island is you can drive halfway up the country if you really have to within a day (not necessarily with a horsebox/trailer though) but in most cases you wouldn't need to travel that far to go and view a horse. Slightly more of a tricky problem to reach faraway places in Canada. If I were to buy a horse again, I'd also like my coach or yard owner to accompany me, but won't expect them to spend a full day or even 2 just to come and look and try out at a horse for me. Maybe you're going to have the patience of a saint on this occasion and keep looking at all the ads you can find, and wait for the right horse in your local area to find you? I do wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated! Your quest would be very interesting to follow :)
Edited to add: love your cat - beautiful eyes!

I have only just started looking, so hopefully will find a good one soon! My coach is on the look out, and I have asked some of my horsey friends to keep an eye out as well (one sent me an ad for a lovely horse but the price was eye watering at $35k!)

She is a very pretty kitty, I brought her with me from the UK when we moved 13 years ago, she also uses those eyes to full advantage!

conniegirl

Visit site
Can’t beat a good welsh pony/cob.
I’m 5ft4, a size 14 and ride a 13.2hh section C without looking or feeling too big for him.
9244EDE6-149C-46B4-869E-85065FA0BB29.jpeg
Whether you’d get one out there for sensible money is another matter entirely

JFTDWS

Visit site
Stop it or we'll all be going out looking for quarter horses!! :D I wonder where I could find one to ride in the UK? Only one thing to do, I need to go and Google it now.

I sometimes wonder why everyone isn't already out looking for them :p Mine's a half blood but she was an epic bargain!

Trinket12

Visit site
A friend just sent me an ad for a pony that looked spot on. I got all excited and then saw in the comments (FB ad) he was sold ☹️

At one point there seemed to be loads of ads that were good possibles, and now I’m in a position to seriously look there’s nothing to be seen!

sportsmansB

Visit site
Unfortunately it is always that way that as soon as you are in a position to purchase, there seems to be nothing there!

I would say that you probably don't need a $35k horse at all, and in fact might find that it isn't as suitable as you think. If your coach can put the word around, and indeed maybe also around pony clubs/ riding clubs if you guys have those sorts of things. The horse you want could be the one a teenager or a competent small adult feels they have 'outgrown' if they want to go competing / do more.
Don't discount one with a few extra years on it provided it is sound and healthy - they can teach you so much

Trinket12

Visit site
$35k is way outside my budget! My coach thinks we can find a match at around $5k, we’ve only just started looking. But patience is not one my attributes 😏